PDA

View Full Version : Arik Air signs tentative deal for 747-8

LostAndFound
20th May 2008, 18:16
Arik Air signed a letter of intent today to buy three of Boeing's 747-8 passenger planes.

If Boeing and the Nigerian carrier can finalize the deal, it would provide a boost in confidence for Boeing's 747-8 Intercontinental. Germany's Lufthansa is the only other carrier to place orders for the rennovated passenger version of the 747.

Arik Air also signed a tentative deal for 7 737s. Altogether, Arik plans to operate 17 737s, five 777s, seven 787s and 3 747-8 Intercontinentals

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20080519/BLOG01/57915665/0/BIZ

Rani
20th May 2008, 19:36
Good job at securing long-haul aircraft delivery slots while they're available.

But I can't help but think - why Boeing 747-8? :hmm:

jnignon
21st May 2008, 02:27
You're right Rani, Why the B747-800? With the way the price of oil is going I think I they should stick with the twin engine 777.

Malagant
21st May 2008, 02:34
See that they advertising for crew in Flightinternational, but for some other acft..

goneagain
30th May 2008, 20:57
Johnson is smart. He has money and money buys delivery slots. He has a 'legitamate" airline so it all looks good. Arbitrage is the name of the game and if he ever takes delivery of any of these new aircraft I would be very surprised. Not doing a good job of running 3 CRJ's so how to run a big iron international fleet? No, he will sell the slots and make big bucks.

There is no indication that Arik is willing to put forth a decent package to attract ex-pat experience to fill the seats that cannot be filled by local guys. Or even pay on time the less than stellar package now on the table.

Wet lease maybe but that would only be a stop gap measure.

I worked there and the promises were many but come time to pay the piper selective memory set in.

The ex-pats are resented and not given much respect for bringing experience to the table. Now it seems as if that the only way you would go to Arkl is if you cannot get on anywhere else or are a low time guy trying to build time. Definately a good experience because it is what you will use as the datum for the rest of your aviation career.

I get called every month by a different recruiter trying to fill seats. Why a different recruiter all the time? Either not paying the last one or the last one could not get anyone to sign up.

I know people who are in Nigeria and the story is that not much improves. Regs are ignored, standards are a suggestion, cowboys are the order of the day.

ex dog
30th May 2008, 23:10
Stay where you are ,it will never work !!

end of story

NIJASEA
31st May 2008, 11:53
I tot this thread was started to talk about the possibility of Arik getting 747-8 and not as a site to bash the Airline. I have friends there flying and they are having a nice time yes they may take a day off you as a request but you get reassigned one off later, They fly about 90 hours a month and take quite a good package home. The cowboys i remember from Arik where the So called "expats" with 3500 hours and 100hours jet coming as captains to locals with 4000hrs jet and expecting a warm welcome from the local crew I have worked with expats in Nigeria some are good some are bad just like everywhere in the world. If i work for a company and dont get paid at the end of the month i will stop work why wait and later say they owe you 2 months pay, y let it get to that. I am confident in my abilities and believe if you are too you will walk away if told to break rules, So stop moaning about Nigerian Aviation and move on with life.
Constructive criticism is nice and at this level and for those i expect on this site that is what should be passed on.
FLY SAFE