PDA

View Full Version : Air Miles / Points Devaluation & Surcharges

er340790
20th May 2008, 12:27
Anyone know if IATA (or anyone who gives a fcuk) is monitoring just how much airlines are allowed whack us with for fuel surcharges etc???

Just tried to book MSP - MAN on BA/AA points for 4 pax. Total for these 'free' flights incl. fuel surcharges / taxes was $2,069(!) which is not that far short of what Zoom charge all-in for YYZ-MAN....... including their own fuel surcharges.

Seems to me that the majors are quietly devaluing their points schemes by lumping absolutely everything into surcharges.

'Oh, you want your flight to have :mad: wings and a :mad: pilot'........ let's see that's W&P surcharge $500 p.p.'

luoto
20th May 2008, 14:34
I don't know the answer but it does grate somewhat, and is one reason why I tossed brand loyalty out of the window where there is a choice. Lounge access, not normally there long enough, upgrades so infrequent plus I have cut non critical flying out due to the hassles and crap in the "war on terror" (sic) and scummy passengers who think the cabin is a a rave zone.. even in business at times (pissed sales reps thinking they are special).

ZFT
20th May 2008, 14:39
Use them for upgrades - IMHO best value (Usually no additional charges).