PDA

View Full Version : Food for thought, Ey,Ek

WERNERTHEGREAT
20th May 2008, 10:17
Etihad,Emirates and other uae companies breaking the labour laws?

According to the labour laws within the UAE the companies are not following Article 74 and 81.

Article 74: Each worker shall be entitled to a total of 10 public holidays with full pay.

Article 81: when it is necessary to work during a public holiday or during a day off. He shall be granted a substitue leave in respect to such days and recieve an additional 50 % of his wage.

So have you ever paid an additional 50% of your basic for working on such days? It seems to me that our head office is always closed for such public holidays while we are off flying.

So where is the money?
http://www.mol.gov.ae/pages-EN/documents-en/federalLaw-EN.pdf

Check it out for your self at the UAE ministry site .

Desert Diner
20th May 2008, 11:31
They tend to apply more to Emiratis and those making a regular monthyly "salary" (read a few thousand or so dirhams)

As your contract pretty much states that you get paid only when you are in the air or when you are asleep in some hotel room you really don't have much of a point with regards to Emirati labor law.

WERNERTHEGREAT
20th May 2008, 12:52
I dont think that the UAE labour law has anything to do with Emiraties. I would tend to think that they have thier own labour law much diferent than the one in the link. NO EMIRATIES would accept to work for the condition mentioned in the labour laws in the link.

These laws are so old that if you scan down it even has rules for child Labour. This is unbelievable.

ferris
20th May 2008, 15:44
You forgot about article 72.

It has always been held up as the Great Get Out. EXEMPTION:

1- Persons holding senior executive managerial or supervisory positions, if such
positions confer upon the incumbents the powers of an employer over
workers. The categories in question shall be specified by resolution of the
Minister of Labour and Social Affairs.

If you care to look into it, I am sure you will find the "Air Pilot" category subject to such resolution. Or you could try your luck at the Labour Court.;)

MrMachfivepointfive
20th May 2008, 16:01
:= As far as EK ground staff is concerned, the law is followed to the letter. There is a ****load of holidays (12 if I am correct - more if somebody important needs to be mourned) and if those co-incide with a weekend, a weekday is declared a substitute. Shift workers get the 50% or an in-lieu day. This is valid not just for the exalted leaders, but every porter and office boy. Sorry... but that far exceeds anything I have ever seen in my 1st world life.

BITE System
20th May 2008, 16:12
I think it is in your contract, you will see that you are entitled to 30 days annual leave and the other 12 days are in fact for the 12 public holidays, 42 days total. If you are on an old contract you get 40 days plus the 12 public holidays, 52 days.

MrMachfivepointfive
20th May 2008, 16:15
Not quite true. Holidays come on top of contracted leave which for the EK groundpounders is between 35 and 46, depending on grade.

BITE System
21st May 2008, 06:39
It used to be 41 days. 30 days annual leave and 11 days of public holidays, then they introduced an additional holiday (can’t remember what it was for), hence 42 days.

cerbus
21st May 2008, 07:11
Labour Law in the UAE? I had no idea such a concept even existed in slave land.

Desert Diner
21st May 2008, 08:17
The Labour Court system in the Middle East tends to be remarkably fair and balanced.

That however, is not the case for the enforcement of the court judgments.

goalex
21st May 2008, 17:21
does uae labour law allow training bond used by uea companies?

Sal-e
21st May 2008, 22:38
Some of ex GF bond-jumpers argued this point with GF with some success. It seems out of the numerous who left to join EK and EY were not pursued at all by GF. Maybe it's an empty threat by the company in an attempt to retain pilots for a minimum period. I am yet to see any of the regional companies succeed in enforcing the bond issue.