PDA

View Full Version : Fairford or Duxford

ghostrider1
20th May 2008, 09:53
I have been to Fairford every year for the past 8 years bar 2005. I saw at the beginning of the year that Fairford is the same date as Flying Legends at Duxford.

Now my dilemma Duxford or Fairford when I only have 1 day - Saturday ?

Any thoughts and anybody else in the same dilemma ?

Bill16STN
20th May 2008, 10:34
Hmmmm ......

Never been to the RIAT @ Fairford, but went to Cottesmore.
As much as I like The Flying Leg Ends show .....

I just kind of get the feeling that the organisers have realised that there is a finite number of enthusiasts who will attend these airshows & are now working to maximise their incomes whilst minimising their outgoings - nothing wrong with that, but it just leaves me feeling like a spectator & doesn't give me any sense of involvement, if you know what I mean?

So, this year I've decided to concentrate my efforts. As an SVAS Photo section member I have volunteered & now help out at Old Warden with conducting their flightline tours. I’m finding this far more rewarding than paying £30 "ish" to stand behind a wall of corporate enclosures, windbreaks, deckchairs & stepladders at Duxford. Don't get me wrong Duxford is a worthwhile resource that needs support, it has to make its money, and I just feel it's currently not for me. (never say never!) I feel that it’s just become too flash, smooth, corporate, call it what you will; however for me it just seems to have lost its soul.

Sorry, but I shall be attending neither this year.

treadigraph
20th May 2008, 10:35
No dilemma for me:

Fairford: enormous queue to get in, packed to the brim crowd line, an overly-long display, constant battering of loud jets, then another enormous queue to get out again...

Duxford: no real queue, lots of people but not to the point of overcrowding, a three hour flying display (just right), the wonderful sound of Merlins, Griffons, R2800s,etc - and this year two Mercurys attached to two different Gladiators (fingers crossed!), and no real queue to get out again.

I haven't been to Fairford for about 15 years and I don't think I ever will again. It's just too big. Give me Duxford every time. :ok:

Whichever you choose, enjoy it!

Treadders

JEM60
20th May 2008, 13:38
Treadigraph, I couldn't agree more!!! Haven't been to Fairford for years. I grey F.16 is the same as another one. Duxford WITHOUT A SHADOW OF DOUBT has the best Warbird pilots in the world, bar none. I have done Oshkosh 5 times, Commerative Air Force etc. But Duxford is the best in the world as far as my friends and I are concerned. Say 'Hi' to my wife Teresa in the 'Friends of Duxford' enclosure. She heads the 'Tea Team' there [Petite attractive blonde lady, of course]:) Best show in the world, best aircraft, BEST PILOTING, ok,so I like the place.:)

ghostrider1
20th May 2008, 14:02
Cheers guys - My mind is made up.

I think my wife's ears could do with a rest from all those General Electric's and listen to some good old Merlins.

Man-on-the-fence
21st May 2008, 10:39
Sorry Treadders but the scrum at the Land Warfare hall end of Duxford is much worse than ahything I have ever seen at Fairford.

I will be at RIAT this year, the choice for me is simple, Legends is pretty much the same each year (give or take a couple of acts). RIAT has the F-22! Added to the fact that Fairford is 25 minutes down the road and Duxford is 2 hours away makes my decision an easy one.

JEM, if you think the best warbird pilots are at Duxford you should go to Old Warden :}

JEM60
21st May 2008, 10:57
Yep, Old Warden pilots fly at Duxford and Vice versa. House pilots at Old Warden are allowed top fly much closer to crowd at Shuttleworth displays. Lots of visiting displays by Duxford based aircraft. Happy to include Old Warden and Duxford as the best flying in the World.

paulc
21st May 2008, 11:30
Another vote for Fairford here - that is where the Vulcan will be!

Legends is the same year in year out and having been involved with a aircraft that was there - it was very clique and not very friendly.

kemblejet01
21st May 2008, 12:05
If you are looking for a top Cotswold airshow - you can't get better than Kemble.

Plenty of stuff for bored kids, decent varied airshow, big ice creams and handsome pilots (particularly that Chief Pilot of Deltajets chap).

I hate Fairford both from a participant pov and as a visitor on the ground - too big, too impersonal - and don't hold your breath for the Vulcan either!

KMB01

treadigraph
21st May 2008, 13:52
MoTF, is Fairford 25 mins down the road normally or during IAT? :}

I have never actually been down the western end at Duxford during a display, prefer the eastern end which is usually OK, and it's near the bar!

As JEM60 says, Fairford seems to be too much the same stuff and the odds of missing the things you really want to see (and there aren't many of them for me) while stuck in a traffic jam miles from the airfield are fairly high. And I know I could set of at 00:mygoditsearly hours but I really prefer to have a good night's kip, otherwise I nod off while the Tornado's turning around in the next county (or country - Wales is almost close enough!) and awaken with a start... Last time I went (93? the MiGs collided the day before) I went by train and bus via Swindon - even the bus got stuck for hours on its special route...

Ah Shuttleworth, yes, fits in with all my criteria and I simply must get there at least once this year! An evening display for preference...

By the way, MoTF, Duxford Eagles and Batchy, cracking pics on your photo threads as usual - I haven't had the pleasure of a Merlin or any other interesting engine (except for the odd Gipsy Major) within earshot so far this year (unless that muffled roar I heard in the office the other day was the Hurri going into Biggin - but over Croydon?) but your images do wonders in staving off the deprivation I feel. Is the Comet going to fly again or is she remaining ground bound?

KMB01, sorry, handsome pilots don't do it for me but big ice creams do and as I've never been (except for the PFA or whatever it became known as) it's probably high time I did. May well see you there!

Cheers

Treadders

Man-on-the-fence
21st May 2008, 14:58
MoTF, is Fairford 25 mins down the road normally or during IAT?

During IAT, I have a "secret" route. Of course Officer I always obey the speed limit! :}

If Legends and RIAT didnt clash I would be at both. Wont split the days this year for safetys sake, will be knackered driving home on one of the nights from Duxford and its just not worth the risk.

Comet will probably not fly this year but its hoped to have her airbourne next year. Watch this space.

JEM60
21st May 2008, 18:05
MOTF. If you are going to see the F.22, then take your ear plugs. You will not need them for the aircraft, but if it's the same commentator who was at Oshkosh, Wisconsin last year, then unless you wear them, you will hear the most nauseating, over the top self adulating, untrue, ridiculously enthusiastic, pumped up,ghastly [I have run out of adjectives] Airshow commentary that it has been my misfortune to hear in over 20 years of Airshows. Believe me, if you think Thunderbird commentaries are bad, then, as the Americans say, You ain't heard nothin' yet!!! ENJOY.