PDA

View Full Version : Telephone and Email database...Orwell would be proud !

Krystal n chips
20th May 2008, 06:33
The subject speaks for itself ....see item below :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7409593.stm

Only one question really........is there anything that cannot, as yet, be classified by the "unfit for purpose"....including breathing !!!!....civil serpents that comes under the heading of "National Security". This catch all excuse is now getting ever so slightly tenuous is it not ?.....same as the "lessons will be learned" mantra. :rolleyes:

Yarpy
20th May 2008, 07:07
Using the same philosophy all post would be screened too. The government would be able to see who posted this message. Our 'free' speech would be scanned for patterns the government does not like. People would become suspects for just having an opinion.

Where is the opposition to this steam roller police state?

eticket
20th May 2008, 07:57
apologies for the thread drift.

Sometimes joined up Government can work.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/7409449.stm

Benefit cheats etc are caught by combining info from different sources and seeing who gets shaken out of the tree.

S'land
20th May 2008, 10:06
Don't see the problem really. With the high level of security that digitalised information seems to have in the UK nowadays it just means that every telephone call, fax and e-mail will be in the public domain about ten seconds after it has been made/sent.

I think that Orwell would be proud. After all his vision of Big Brother was one where BB's organisation was efficient and that does not apply to today's lot.

SpringHeeledJack
20th May 2008, 12:21
What happened to article 8 of the Human bill of rights ?

Article 8

Right to respect for private and family life

1) Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence.
2) There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as is in accordance with the law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.

Think yourself lucky S'land living in 'Angie's world', at least the laws on personal information access are towards the citizen. That is up until the powers that be decide that it must change "for our best interests". Btw, which point of the compass in d-land are you ?

Of course all this storing of information won't materially affect those who will be doing the bad things in the future (whatever that might be). Perhaps it really is just about eroding the rights of the proletariat to better control society :uhoh::(

Regards

SHJ

tony draper
20th May 2008, 13:04
Well that paragraph 2 seems to offer coverage for a lot of official arses to do owt they like Mr Jack.
:uhoh:

Taildragger67
20th May 2008, 13:05
This information already exists:

- if you get an itemised phone bill, it's due to the details being stored on a database;
- the fact that you can pull up old emails means that they are held on a database

and the authorities can already get an order to access such info, without the subject's knowledge.

Don't see why there's any need to enact anything else...

Pete_slf
20th May 2008, 13:45
OK, I have an unregistered PAYG SIM card, and I use Skype.

I use Gmail for my email which is based outside the UK.

What's the point of the database?

ZFT
20th May 2008, 14:36
It might be an interesting exercises if everyone could agree upon a date and time to both send an email and make a mobile call with all the 'naughty' words such as Bush, Blair, Brown, bomb Nuclear, Chemical etc..used.

Now I wonder when I'll get a knock on my door (or this post disappears)?:E

Dan D'air
20th May 2008, 15:50
Try using Menwith Hill & DIA in the same sentence, that should do it!!!

Oops, Black sedan outside!!

radeng
20th May 2008, 18:01
With the way this government has gone on, I can see it being used as a method to stifle legitimate political opposition. Look out, the Conservative and Liberal parties - your innermost tactical secrets will be used against you!

Gnirren
20th May 2008, 19:01
Have a watch, some of it's pretty interesting. You're right, Orwell would be proud, it's material for a "1984" sequel!

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-3351275215846218544

Blacksheep
20th May 2008, 19:24
Do you mean RAF Menwith Hill (http://www.panoramio.com/photo/7633607) Dan? That load of balls is hardly a secret... ;)

Now, that database the TV advert boasts about is the one to worry about. The threatening one, where they tell you that they have all our details and if you don't pay up they're coming round to get you. :uhoh:

S'land
20th May 2008, 19:24
SpringHeeledJack:

I do indeed think myself lucky to live here in Germany. My biggest surprise was to find that I have more freedoms and rights here than I would have back in the UK. How things have changed.

As far as which part of the country, I live in Argenbühl, about 30km from the Bodensee (Lake Constance).

Beatriz Fontana
20th May 2008, 19:44
Ah, Menwith Hill. Full of BRTs... Big Round Things.

Drove past Fylingdales earlier. It's never been the same since the Golf Balls were replaced with a piece of Toblerone.

Ooh look, black car pulling up... Gotta go and pick up some bloke calling himself D'air... ;)

Rightbase
20th May 2008, 20:20
We know your email address.....

Somebody hasn't thought this through. Another government IT disaster in the making.

The only thing we have to worry about is where the £150 billion of overspend is going to come from every time they 'fess up to it.

SpringHeeledJack
20th May 2008, 22:47
S'land, that's a nice part and with the added plus of having 'other' cultures to escape to 'wenn mann die schnauzer voll hatte" :} I was in 20146, still nice.

It infuriates me (perhaps this should be on the rants thread) that i am almost always faced with having to OPT OUT of giving my information every time i'm filling out forms, otherwise my personal and private information will be sold for commercial gain and/or to be shared with various agencies to hold for time immemorial. IT'S MY 'KING PROPERTY and you (whomever) don't have a right to use/sell/transfer/correlate/ it unless I give you permission!!!

That's why i believe that NO information should be used in this way without the express consent of the owner, not implied through various slimey methods and that there should be by law an OPT IN clause ALWAYS so that no-one is duped.

As to the all-seeing, all-hearing big-brother system, it will never be worth the effort until our elected masters can develop and run a coherent super-computer network to sift through the billions of electronic transmissions. However, perhaps this is a foretaste :uhoh:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/20797485/chinas_allseeing_eye/print (article is longish, so the last third is most pertinent)

Regards

SHJ

makintw
21st May 2008, 08:35
And now they can track you from your mobile - in the shopping centre (and where else one wonders).

As Mr D has said many a time "chip 'em all"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/20/tracking_phones/

G-CPTN
21st May 2008, 10:11
I pointed out some time ago that mobile telephones are actually some sort of electronic tag. If the government had suggested that everyone should carry a device that recorded exactly where they were and where they went and all this could be logged the public wouldn't have accepted it, yet that is exactly what 'we' have all adopted voluntarily . . .

justlooking_tks
21st May 2008, 11:59
Yes and it is going to get far worse. Little by little and piece by piece.

I spy with my little eye.