PDA

View Full Version : ATPL (general Navigation)

Anonymus6
20th May 2008, 01:58
Just wounder if anyone else have been in my shoes.
I started with bristol groundschool last week and everything was going well forward until I start working on the grid navigation and lampert and mercator charts. IT IS VERY THOUGH AND IS SLOWIN ME DOWN!!!!
Anyone else that had same problem with this subject!! Will it click in the future or not?:{

I feel like I will never learn this material!! other subjects are fine:ok: except general navigation.

Also will the two week brush up with bristol help sorting things out!!

Any advice would be grateful guys

PAJ
20th May 2008, 03:49
Both these areas are considered some of the tougher pieces of material to get your head around. With chart design, as you will have I am sure picked up, there is no perfect chart design that can accurately represent the Earth. Although all of the commonly used charts are pretty close to being accurate, it is still not possible to create an exact representation of the earth's sphere on a flat piece of paper. Ask Bristol on the forums if you are really struggling, but I suggest you just list each of the chart designs, what characteristics each possess and what they are in turn most suited for. You will probably get one or two questions on chart design in the exam so it is worth getting to grips with, but the question bank will help you to put the information into a relevant context. Also the brush up course is excellent for tidying up areas such as this.

Grid nav is actually a very simple concept. Basically, as you move closer to the magnetic poles, using a compass becomes more and more difficult (and eventually impossible) as a means to navigate due to the rapidly changing value of variation and vertical component off magnetic dip. Grid nav allows navigation over the poles by using a D.I. or gyro stabilised inertial platform. A grid track on a polar stereo. chart will be marked as such and requires the pilot to fly the grid track. I found drawing scale diagrams really useful for grid nav. A compass and protractor are all you need and often visualising the problem makes things a lot clearer.

The exams are designed more than anything to give you a broad appreciation of subjects that deirectly affect aviation rather than looking for you to be an expert. The brush up course will really help tidy things up, but in the mean time, just fire questions at the guys at bristol through the forums.

altag
22nd May 2008, 14:16
hi all - me too at bristol starting 2 weeks ago
i need some info -
i 'm studying the ATPL_theory with the ATPL_digital software provided me by the Bristol - ground school.
Looks really great ! -
but i noticed it is really summarizing and really essential.
i've some questions for someone who has already dealt with it :

1_ 'solely studying' with their software is sufficient to meet the goal of passing the examinations in a satisfactory way?
2_ or is it strongly advisable to study the subjects also with some definitive collections like Oxford_Jeppesen or Jeppesen_ATF, should be clear I 'm pointing up the questions about the main goal, to pass the exams, not aviation education in deep knowledge .
thank you very much -
bye

Rugbyears
22nd May 2008, 14:34
I see this previous post is a duplicate - Please remove!

Rugbyears
22nd May 2008, 14:44
Anonymus6, I would suggest you try using this forum,
http://www.atpforum.co.uk/ (http://www.atpforum.co.uk/) you will find more question based specific help towards your GS questions, provided by both instructors and fellow students alike - That said, PAJ provided a pretty good reply.!

Best of luck..
:ok:

moona
22nd May 2008, 15:10
I've got my GNAV exam in a couple of weeks, I have found the following notes useful for some last minute revision:

http://www.wiljam.com/Wiljam%20complete/061%20General%20Navigation/Contents%20General%20Navigation.pdf