PDA

View Full Version : IS a degree that important

DC
17th Jan 2001, 13:41
Is a degree more important or a CPL? CAn someone give me some advice. Assuming that I have a CPL but I do not have a degree .What are the cahnces that I will qualify for an interview with SIA.

Lee
17th Jan 2001, 14:22
Yes, if you aspire to be in Management one day, especially in an airline like SQ, where degrees open doors.

BTW, I'm not in SQ or Silkair but I'm a trueblue Singaporean or rather a Chinkaporean. Cheers, go get that degree.

boeinglover
17th Jan 2001, 14:54
Hi, lee is pretty correct in this matter.
In Singapore, almost every organisation including MNCs would place more emphasis on a degree holder applicant rather than a non-degree holder. That piece of paper has become a necessity and is highly sought after by many people all around the world.

SIA, for what I have heard having a degree does helps if one is aiming for the management post later on in the career irregardless of any high position applying for initially.

As for being selected as a pilot and whether you've got a degree or not has got no colloration evidence at all. It's more of whether you meet their basic requirements "A levels with good physics results minimium" and pass their apttitude tests and stringent medical examination. I have known some who went in without a degree and getting selected. But their pay-scale would definitely be different from those armed with a good degree.

So whatever is your choice, I would suggest play safe and aim for a good degree and at least you could apply for a managerial position should you be unlucky enough not to be selected for cadet pilot.

Good Luck.

PILOST
17th Jan 2001, 15:08
Although I'm not with SQ,the question you pose draw some parallel with MAS cadet wannabees.

A degree is very important in life (especially in your neck of woods),but so does a Flying License if you intend to make it a career.The best (IMHO) solution is for you to apply for their cadet scheme & after completing all their training requirements & doing on-line flying could you then apply to do a degree course.Be it distance learning or by correspondence.

By doing that,you maintain seniority & gain hours for a quicker path to command & you'll definitely have something to do during those long trips ;) ;)

Hope my suggestion helps.

Safe Flying.
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif
PILOST

Lee
17th Jan 2001, 15:38
A few years ago, (maybe 5 years ago) SIA experimented with taking in university graduates as Cabin Crew. Don't know if they still do.

So, DC if you're looking at a long term flying career with SQ (I don't mean short flying stints), then a degree will really help you go that far. Cheers.

Sunny
17th Jan 2001, 18:52
Get a degree first. It's way more important that a CPL. If you are Singaporean, you are going to have to wait till you are 26 anyway. Although they say that the minimum required is A levels, going through Uni does help a lot with doing the ground school.

411A
17th Jan 2001, 21:49
The requirements at SQ must have changed over the years. When I was there in the late 1970's, I had F/O's on the B707 who were 24 and damn good pilots (most) as well. This was undoubtedly the result of "training to standard". Most averaged 40 circuits in the B707 and were NOT released to line flying until they could perform a 3-engine ILS with overshoot and still keep the blue side up. Had one land with a 30 knot direct crosswind in TPE absolutely wings level and directionally straight. When I asked him ..."where did you learn how to do that?" his reply was...."Capt Langtry showed me".
In those days, training was to a VERY high standard. Wonder if it is today?

Lee
18th Jan 2001, 07:59
411A,

Things have changed a lot. Read in the papers, sometime in late 70s and early 80s when they took in surplus Cadet Pilots, and after their flight training, SIA was willing to discharge their bonds or if they wanted to stay on, were told that they had to be retrained as Cabin Crew and serve as Stewards until, when there was flying work for them. Also, then a cadet pilot's allowance was S$50 a month. Yes, and most cadet pilots were 24 years old then.

Strikie
18th Jan 2001, 23:24
DC, if you're Singaporean, they will look at your 'O' levels too. You must have credits for English, Math, and physics or chemistry or physical science. They are looking at candidates with a diploma or a degree on top of that. Don't know the link between having a degree and psycho-motor skills. (often tho't the skill is inversely proportionate to academic standards...whoa...guess that's why I have two left feet...) If you're confident and have the academic qualifications, go for the SQ interviews. A CPL/IR taken privately, and without much relevant work experience, is not often recognised and does not put you in a better position than someone fresh from school. Perhaps something to do with company culture, etc, etc. Anyway, good luck.

Sunny
19th Jan 2001, 05:02
411A, we still do the 3 engine ILS and overshoots, at least those of us who have 4 engines do them. ;)
DC don't bother with the CPL if you are going to try and join SQ. There's better ways to spend your money.
And about the pay scale, that just applies till you check out as an FO.(About 2.5 -3 years)
"A" Level holders get $250 a month, Poly grads get $750 and Grads get $1000.

[This message has been edited by Sunny (edited 19 January 2001).]

Frying Dutchman
19th Jan 2001, 09:59
A degree is certainly important and does anyone know whether SIA takes in many diploma holders?

Sunny
19th Jan 2001, 20:14
G'day FD. I've got a few pals with A levels, but not too many with a poly diploma.

Frying Dutchman
22nd Jan 2001, 09:50
Hi Sunny....

Been trying to email you a few times but your mailbox is always full. Won't be going back for CNY as things are not going well over here. Happy New Year to you and all those in this forum who celebrate CNY.

Sunny
23rd Jan 2001, 21:28
Sorry FD, been a bit busy N haven't had time to clead the junk mail. Happy New Year anyway pal.

MASystem
25th Jan 2001, 20:26
Important?

Well, let me think for a second http://www.webdck.com/Angela/images/fun/felixanm.gif yesss, i think it IS

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by MASystem (edited 25 January 2001).]