PDA

View Full Version : LHR viewing - 09R/L

TCX69
19th May 2008, 14:28
As runway 09R/L seems to be in use a hell of a lot lately. Does anyone know of an area where can watch the aircraft from? Anything like Myrtle Avenue that end of the runway? Or have I got no chance?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th May 2008, 14:37
Myrtle Ave, or somewhere close by, would be OK for the 09R departures. (My wife and I prefer the entrance to Feltham Cemetary when 27L is the landing drag - very good for pics from there).

For 09L, it's difficult. Plenty of people park on the "pavement" on the A3044 just south of where the 09L approach crosses but it is dangerous as it's a very fast road. Photography from there is excellent but you might be moved on. Maybe a small side road in Poyle would be a good place??

On-airport viewing is almost impossible nowadays..

Good luck..

HeathrowAirport
19th May 2008, 18:59
Go into Terminal 5.

Best place i think for Photos now!

I went there and it's some amazing views. Oh and when i mean T5 not for a flight but there is viewing areas on each end of the terminal for 09R and 09L.

Walk past the 09R/L Threshold and up the Ramp towards the T5 Bus station.

Up the escalator and into the check in area. Either the south or North side there is huge windows and space to view with seats.

Obviously you can get better but this was with a mobile phone!

http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=142448

I never took these but i went the same place as this person did.

LN-KGL
20th May 2008, 07:39
HEATHROW DIRECTOR
Myrtle Ave, or somewhere close by, would be OK for the 09R departures. (My wife and I prefer the entrance to Feltham Cemetary when 27L is the landing drag - very good for pics from there).
But isn't Feltham Cemetery almost two miles to the south from the centre line of runway 27L (corner of Sunbury Rd/Ashford Rd)? For me, that distance is a no go zone - with haze the pictures would be so blurred that you even can't identify the registration numbers (professional DSLR with 400 mm lens and IS).

I have two sweet spots for Heathrow - one just to look at the aircraft and one just for photography. The first one is to get one of the plane spotter rooms at the Renaissance Hotel, Bath Road. And the other one is at the northern end of Eastern Perimeter Road close to the BA engine test bay - in front of you is only a field with no obstructions except for the odd light pole. This last spot is ideal for two of my lenses - the 28-135mm for full fuselage shots and the 100-400mm for long distance head on shots and close ups in panning modus. The photo spot at Eastern Perimeter Road can only be used up until 15:00 (then the 27R takes over as the primary runway for landings).

I've been only once during 09 operation, and then sat up shop on top of the multi storey parking just behind Terminal 4 to shoot aircraft as they popped up from behind the terminal roof. Certainly I got a visit from the local constabulary (a threesome with heavier armory than me), but as long as you show your knowledge in a friendly tone they let you continue your good work and wish you good luck. Here is a small warning though - concentrate on the aircraft and don't take any shots that contains any fixed objects from this parking area.

Here is an historic photo I took that late afternoon behind Terminal 4 - BA A320-111 G-BUSF. The fenceless Airbus is now out of BA service and on its way to beer can heaven.

http://www.plane-spotter.com/Jpegs/800/London_2005/G-BUSF.jpg

Kurt

Groundloop
20th May 2008, 08:33
The photo spot at Eastern Perimeter Road can only be used up until 15:00 (then the 27R takes over as the primary runway for landings).

Not quite right. Runway usage on the 27s changes weekly. One week 27L landing before 15.00, take-offs after 15.00 - 27R opposite. Next week they switch round ie 27L take-offs before 15.00 landings after 15.00 - 27R opposite.

LN-KGL
20th May 2008, 08:41
When did this start Groundloop? There has also been talks about using the two runways in mixed mode - any progress on that?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th May 2008, 08:56
The runway alternation procedure described by Groundloop started in 1972 and is fairly rigidly adhered to.

<<But isn't Feltham Cemetery almost two miles to the south from the centre line of runway 27L (corner of Sunbury Rd/Ashford Rd)? >>

I may have the wrong name for the cemetary. Where we go is 560m south of the 27L centreline and 100mm is about the most you need; I generally stick with a 24-105. The location is at approx 51 27.534N 000 25.057W.

Visual06
22nd May 2008, 12:29
think the location refered to is Hatton cemetry off the Faggs road near Tescos and the Fire station, I believe there is also a farm of some sort there

b8z
22nd May 2008, 13:23
Hi

There is a good place to watch from 09R it's the petrol station abeam the S taxiway 09R hold not been there since T5 opened maybe someone can give better directions but some good spotting there.

PaperTiger
22nd May 2008, 15:56
99% of landings when the 09s are in use are on the Left.
For viewing and photos get yourself to Longford Roundabout on the A3044 then walk either S. on the main road or W. on the side road (depending on the sun).

Walkable from T5 (10-15 mins) or get a bus.

big.al
23rd May 2008, 09:44
What's the runway view like from the exec. lounge in T3? I've got a couple of hours to kill in there on the 12th June.

Leezyjet
24th May 2008, 15:31
From the spot on the A3044, if you go to the roundabout and turn left towards Colnbrook, drive a few hundred metres and there is a bit of dirt at the side of the road where you can park, just before the M25 bridge. If you walk onto the bridge you can shoot the a/c as they pass over the M25.

You can see the spot here :-

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=heathrow&ie=UTF8&ll=51.478991,-0.499814&spn=0.006027,0.014505&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr

Also the Queen Mother Reservoir is a brilliant spot if you walk up onto the side of the reservoir as you are so high up, there is very little to get in the way and spoil your shots - you can even get shots with Windsor Castle in the background. The a/c usually start to lower the gear just before they are about to pass over the reservoir, so makes for more interesting shots than the boring side on ones from the A3044 field.

Here's the location :-

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=heathrow&ie=UTF8&ll=51.484563,-0.53627&spn=0.006026,0.014505&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr

Giving all my best spots away now !!!.

:}

ACARS
27th May 2008, 12:02
T5 is a really good spot, especially for 09R. I was in departures for a couple of hours - not to sure about whats out on the non airside.

Geezers of Nazareth
28th May 2008, 17:55
What's the runway view like from the exec. lounge in T3?

Errr, what 'exec. lounge' in T3?

The only one which _might_ have a reasonable view is the new Emirates Lounge, only available to First Class/Business passengers. It's above stand 307 and has a reasonably unobstructed view of 27L/09R.

big.al
29th May 2008, 08:57
Errr, what 'exec. lounge' in T3?

Ok, 'exec' may be the wrong term...

Heathrow Servisair Lounge Terminal 3:
http://www.heathrowinformation.co.uk/heathrow-airport-FAC-facilities-lounges.php