PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Training Questions

BorneoPilot
16th Jan 2001, 00:48
an offshoot of the `Melaka Flying Academy`
posts - this time without politics and complains about working conditions, pay, some a**h*l* somewhere up there in the food chain...please.

will start first question:
Should I get my JAA/UK ATPL frozen in Canada instead of doing it in Malaysia(MFA) and will it be recogniced?

Gnote
16th Jan 2001, 06:44
Hey Borneo Pilot, why don't you get a job in Canada with your current license first. That is unless you already have something lined up somewhere else. It costs big bucks to convert your license...not to mention all those dreaded exams you are going to have to write. If you want to fly in Malaysia, you will need the Malaysian CPL...and although it is basically the same as the UK license, you will need to sit for all their exams plus go for flight tests. The terms of conversion will depend upon the DCA of Malaysia. Flight experience definitely helps. NOTE HERE: It will definitely be faster to walk to the moon then wait for the DCA to get back to you.

[This message has been edited by Gnote (edited 16 January 2001).]

FlyingCrew
16th Jan 2001, 07:02
actually it all depend on what,where and who you want to fly for. the right to live and work for that country plays a very important issue as well. you may have a flying license from country 'A' but not reconised by the country 'B' you wish to fly for and vice versa.

you may not neccessary get a job even you managed to convert your foreign license to a local depending on your "right of abode" status.

actually the best way is to apply for the "ab-initial cadet pilot scheme" to the airline you wish to fly for. if you meet the requirments, let them train you. with that, you do not have to worry about not getting that deram job after spending a fortune of your own in your flight training.

of-course there are many self sponsored pilots who made it to the flight deck and that depend a lot on the market demand, the world economy situation, the 'pilots surplus and shortage curve' and in some countries: who you know or who knows you that kind of thing.

i am not trying to discourage you but merely let you know what i have seen and i wish you all the best in your aviation career.

cheers!

PILOST
16th Jan 2001, 12:57
Borneopilot,without sounding too negative,my only advice to you would be to consult DCA Malaysia.As it is,you're well aware of the financial implications should you make a wrong choice.

Presently Malaysian pilots wannabees take the UK CAA's International papers locally or at CAA house in UK.The flying part would be a multi engine IFR check locally or having a look at your license & experience,the DCA will decide if a flight check is necessary.

Again don't take my word for it.Consult DCA.

Safe Flying.
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif
PILOST

BorneoPilot
16th Jan 2001, 13:12
Would like to stay in CDN to work, but there is this working permit/visa kinda prob. I am a Malaysian, so it will be much easier to get a job at my home country. furthermore, CDN and N-America has LOADS of low-time pilots.
Currently keeping my options open.
virtual teh-tarik to all that replied. (^-^)

next question: what can a 200+TT pilot with
CPL, MULTI-IFR(light twin) work as in Malaysia? Employable? pretty bleak eh..?

Goldwing2000
16th Jan 2001, 15:23
Borneopilot, I can understand your present predicament as everybody is giving you directions and you are pondering which is the best route to take! Well, firstly it's all up to you but secondly and perhaps more importantly as a Malaysian you cannot work in N America without a green card in the case of USA or a work permit if you consider staying in Canada. There's no easy solution as is the case with flying!!!
My two cents worth would be for you to finish your present course and if you are financially able thereafter to do a JAR frozen ATPL course with the IR portion done in UK. It's much easier to obtain a PR(permanent residence) for Malaysians in UK then N America especially if you have any relatives there. By all accounts there is going to be a severe shortage of pilots in UK plus low timers with 200-500 hrs are more likely to be taken on there then elsewhere. There are two pitfalls to the JAR course:
1) It's hellishly expensive but as you've got some flying experience with the Canadian CPL then the cost should be less.
2) There are some 14 exams to sit and believe me there're nowhere as easy as the Canadian CPL and if you pass all first time then you're doing extremely well!! Count on at least 1 year from start to finish for resits etc.
With your JAR licence you can easily and I say this with the broadest possible leeway as the DCA never knows from one minute to the other, obtain your Malaysian licence as it's a straight swop but before doing anything get everything in black and white from the DCA.
If you have all the licences outlined above then I would personally look for a job abroad as the politics and bu**s**t of finding a flying job in Malaysia is sometimes more then one can bear.
Whatever you decide, think about it long and hard and hopefully you will make the right choice.

Cheers,
Goldwing

-------------
If you do what you always do you get what you always got!

Gnote
16th Jan 2001, 21:44
Hey Borneo Pilot, I used to be in your same situation..I was also a Malaysian that completed my flight training in Alberta. I tried to get work back in Malaysia however it was pretty tough as the carriers there also have pretty high minimums and it just wasn't worth spending money to convert my license and be back at square one. My advise is to start talking to companies here in Canada and I do not mean sending a resume and waiting by the phone or calling them....most chief pilots do not take phone calls. I am talking about going on a small road trip and showing your face and introducing yourself and handing in your resume personally. I know it is tough to break into this industry in Canada but my advise is this: always be persistant and DO NOT GIVE UP no matter how bleak the situation may seem. I am now flying Jetstreams for an Alberta company.

PS Why dont you get your instructor rating?...you will be granted an automatic work visa when you apply to be an flight instructor plus you will get the hours and experience.

Good Luck

BorneoPilot
18th Jan 2001, 12:32
thanks to all that replied.

next question: some SQ captain once asked me
`How do you stall a plane without your hands?`....???

MASystem
18th Jan 2001, 13:14
use your legs :)

BorneoPilot
23rd Jan 2001, 12:29
How and what you do with you legs?
(^-^)

HARRIS HASSAN
28th Jan 2001, 20:13
B.P.,
Use the A/P.

BorneoPilot
29th Jan 2001, 05:56
next question:
My Multi-IR check-ride is coming up fast!
would like suggestions recomendation about how NOT to bust my check-ride....!

well...to all that tried answering the previous question, kopi tarik to all!

Gnote
29th Jan 2001, 07:11
Ya, whatever you do don't blow minimums...especially ones for circling approaches.Hold entry messups are also pretty common.

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
29th Jan 2001, 10:28
Dear B.P,

A) I guess your Multi IR check will be single pilot IFR.

B) I have not had the pleasure of this operation for some time so am a bit rusty.

C) I have been operating on Jepps for decades so do clarify with your countries RAC/OPS.

PLANNING STAGE:
All successful check rides start out with careful planning and document organisation and maps and chart preperation,
go over the planned route check MEA/MOCA/MORA and Grid MORA for single engine performance ability to maintain altitude above the most limiting of these minimas over the route segments to be flown.
Check the WX forcast note the freezing level,
if it is below the aforementioned minimas exercise your command judgment as to amount and type of visible moisture (CLOUD) and type CB TC SC ST NS ect. SE performance in a light twin can be marginal and a few hundred kilos of ice can cause negative climb performance at MAX Continuous SE power.
Check the forcast for aerodrome WX against IFR departure and arrival WX minimas as stipulated on the appropriate plates, planning on a worst case senario, engine failour/fire requireing return to aerodrome of departure, TKOF minima is usually less limiting than landing Minima so should you depart and have an emergency you may not be able to land at the point of departure. Pay particular attention to WX trends GRADU ect and TEMPO/INTER, try to forcast ahead with the SL Baro chart and SIG WX PROG chart. This will give you an idea as to how WX/Wind/iceing may change especially in frontal passage situations.
Study the TAF's for WX criteria and proposed instrument approach, after all the aircraft may not be fitted with on board equiptment for the best possible instrument approach available MLS ect. Again pay attention to TEMPO/INTER/GRADU ect as these will dictate alternate MINIMA/Requirements and FUEL Requirements.
Check that you have all MAPS/CHARTS/PLATES available for your flight inclusive of alternates planned and in the area of your operation.
Check the rated coverage of all NAV aids AND COM stations you propose to use at the lowest safe operational altitude you may be forced to use.
Check for additional requirements special procedures HF 2ADF ect.
Check Prohibited/Danger areas you may traverse pay attention to these areas you may overfly but in case of driftdown may penetrate, or be below but may operationally require to climb.
Check all NOTAMS for NAV aids WIP COM ect ect.
Check TKOF performance charts for your aircraft against TODA/TORA/ASD/clearway/stopway ect. ensure the aircraft is loaded such that sufficent runway exists to stop the aircraft on the remaining RWY/stopway/clearway should you require to abort/discontinue the TKOF at V1.
In CAT B/C aircraft "eyeball" the situation with reference to VX,VY single engine and VSSE. Use the appropriate charts from the AFM/AOM to calculate your decision with regard to RWY length mentioned previously.
Calculate SE climb performance with regard to TKOF/BRW against OCA and obstacles within the NET TKOF flight path 2nd/3rd,final segment flight paths and evaluate turns in the final segment to avoid obstacles, if limiting consider extended 2nd segment climb procedures if applicable.
Also calculate Landing performance with regard to LDA at your planned landing weight.
Remember to look into WET RWY performance ANTI SKID INOP, REVERSER INOP ect as applicable to your aircraft for both TKOF and LDG.
Check the MR1 (maintenence release) and MEL (minimum equiptment list) for limitations to your particular operation.
Ensure C of G limitions are within limits in all flight regimes.
Prepare the fuel plan with regard to all the above inclusive of alternates and fixed and variable reserves required in your operation, if applicable consider variable fuel revision in conjunction with PNR, CP and Critical Point (CP) depressurised which usually is most limiting in jets and to some extent turboprops/high performance pistons, if required consider island reserve fuel. Note and observe all regulatory and company fuel policies within the realms of commen sense. You are the commander excercise command judgment.
Prepare the flight plan note all the above and anything I have forgotten!!!!

FLIGHT STAGE:
Give the old girl a good preflight remove all covers pins and locks, ensure all documentation/fuel/payload ect correctly loaded ect I am sure you are conversant with all this stuff so won't go into it further.

Remember to TUNE and IDENTIFY all NAV aids and use WX radar to its fullest if fitted.
When ever you change NAV aids TUNE AND IDENTIFY, REMEMBER THIS, I WILL NOT MENTION IT FURTHER OK.

Relax and enjoy the flight be positive and smooth in your control and above all strive for accuracy in altitude, pitch and speed control.
In the EFATO segment be possitive and assertive aviate, navigate and communicate in that order, apply the must know, should know and nice to know policy, follow the manufacturer recomendations such as 5deg bank into live engine no more the 1/2 ball deflection as applicable to the particular aircraft type. Observe possitive pitch and airspeed control through gear retraction, VX, VY, V2 level acceleration altitude/safety altitude, transition through
VFR ect, as is applicable to the particular aircraft type.
In airways tracking be conversent with the limitations with regard to obstacles MORA, MOCA and Grid MORA ect VT and VA limitations, 5 Nm tracking tolerance on airways com failour/nav aid failour procedures ect. For com Failour try using your hand phone to contact the appropriate ATC unit.
Instrument Approach Phase:
Plan TOD (Top Of Descent) Accuratly pay attention to sector entry (minimum sector altitude) and distance to FAF (Final Approach Fix) you may wish to include some or part of these segments to your descent calculations. A good professional operator will continue at Flight Idle all the way to FAF when possible inclusive of manouvering for direct entry if the track miles to run are favourable, so as to save costly JET A1, of course traffic and clearances may prohibit this.
Pay attention to wind and lay off for drift in climb, cruise and descent phases but most importantly in the holding and instrument approach phase. Maintain accurate tracking in the entry and use the correct entry procedure noting any special requirements. Eg sector 1 and 2 not permitted. Always remain on the holding side and don't penetrate into the non holding side because of wind.
For ILS pin the needles and allow for drift, smaller corrections as you get nearer the station usually 1/2 scale deflection is the max tolerance for LOC and G/S, refer to your local requirements. For VOR/DME, VOR, NDB 5 degrees is the max tolerence I believe and of course check not below DME/distance/steps.
Be conversant with the missed approach procedure and entry requirements back into the hold inclusive of OCA and aircraft SE climb performance, do check climb gradient requirements for the missed approach procedure and ensure the performance criteria both engines and SE can comply with this requirement for that approach.
Finally be positive in control and make sound command judgement if you make a mistake don't bull**** accept it and don't do it again, all examiners do take into consideration nervous stress so enjoy the check and tell us if you pass or fail, do highlight any errors I have made here, as I said it has been a long time.

Good luck am sure you will pass,
Regards, Captain Wooblah.

[This message has been edited by CAPTAIN WOOBLAH (edited 29 January 2001).]

[This message has been edited by CAPTAIN WOOBLAH (edited 29 January 2001).]

BorneoPilot
1st Feb 2001, 03:27
Thanks Gnote and Wooblah!
will scrutinize your replies and put them to good use!

next question deal with NDBs:
when the approach involves an NDB as a primary navaid or even an NDB as a MM or OM
do you listen to the dit-dit-dit-dot-dot-dot all the way to touch-down?? I find that it gets on my nerves and looking at my 76 year old ex-airforce instructor....contributes to hearing loss! =)

what do ya all think?

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
8th Feb 2001, 14:30
So Borneo,

Did you pass your check ride???

Hope you did.

P.S don't bully your 76 year old instructor he is probably a wealth of info so don't be rude and get the best out of him also yes listen to the morse ident on NDB's how else you gona know it's failed also Flags on RMI's do get stuck. Obviously you hav'nt found the volume controll on the NAV/COM selector panel!!! Turn down the volume OK and on your stereo too.

Regards, Wooblah.

BorneoPilot
9th Feb 2001, 11:07
Capt Wooblah,
have not sit for the flight test yet.
gotta get my IFR theory paper out of the way first. will inform you the experience or rather the terror of the check ride!

BorneoPilot
10th Feb 2001, 10:44
next question:
What kinda people are MAS looking for?
Capt Wooblah, you`re from MAS right?
Good company to work for?

VenPilot
10th Feb 2001, 11:21
Hi Borneo!

About ADF(OM/MM/IM) marker passing, is not necessary to keep it on throught out the app.
Once listened just turn it off. Althought when you identify a VOR or ILS, it's just that IDENT.
Your ears and your instructor's will appreciate it

MASystem
10th Feb 2001, 13:23
Borneopilot,

I think any airline is good. What's more important is the people you get to work with while serving that airline.

Just accept which ever airline that accepts you and...fly and fly and fly...

All the best in the coming I.R.

Gnote
11th Feb 2001, 06:18
Hey Borneo Pilot, when are you planning to do your IFR Ride? Are you thinking about going the instructor route?

Cheers

BorneoPilot
11th Feb 2001, 14:23
Thanks VenPilot, MASystem and Gnote
for the replies.

IFR check ride - would like to get it done before the end of March. gotta write the dreaded Transport CDN paper first.

I would prefer to go the charter/ commuter/airline route rather than be a flight instructor if I can help it. can you imagine sending someone up solo with only about 10hours of flight instruction? I think it is stressful GRANDE! for the poor new instructor.

BorneoPilot
13th Feb 2001, 12:35
Just curious:
What kinda IFR approach plates does MH or SQ use for their fleet? Jepps?
I`m only familiar with Transport CDN`s Canada Air Pilot (CAP) currently, but would like to familiarize myself with other publications.

Strikie
13th Feb 2001, 12:38
Jepps at S'pore.

Gnote
14th Feb 2001, 06:06
Hi Borneo Pilot, have you been contacting any companies yet? This is the best time of the year to let them know that you're alive and ready to rock. Let me know.

BorneoPilot
14th Feb 2001, 07:05
Hi Gnote, I have been thinking about making a trip up North to Northern BC/NWT or East. what do you suggest? How would/did you approach this cold call introduction of yourself?
any suggestions would be very much appreciated!!

Gnote
14th Feb 2001, 08:31
Hi BP, well the first thing is to make a list of all the prospective employers. Next bomb them with resumes( but don't over do it) and try to follow up with calls. Always ask to speak to the chief pilot if you can...some do take quick phone calls...Tell him/her that you are planning a road trip and was wondering if a couple minutes could be spared. Most CPs are quite cool with this and are accmodating. DO your research and be prepared to ask questions. If you can't make an appointment, you can take your chances and just show up. Put on an extra wide smile at the receptionist and explain that you just drove xxx no. of miles and would appreciate it if you could get a couple of mins with the CP. IMPORTANTLY DO NOT resort to flying for free no matter what the company promises you. Any reputable company understands that you are a professional and deserve a wage for your services.

PS Which part of borneo are u from?

Good luck

BorneoPilot
16th Feb 2001, 22:09
Land of the Hornbill - Sarawak