PDA

View Full Version : Deleted Microsoft Word - by mistake

Brian Fantana
19th May 2008, 11:44
As the title says I have deleted Microsoft Word.
I run Windows XP Home edition and have put the XP disk in the drive to see if I can restore Word from the XP disc. This has not been successful maybe I am doing something wrong.

Microsoft Excel has also dissapppeared too.

I have checked the computer recycle box but it is not there, I have saved letters in My Documents that now open in Wordpad, and when I double click on the Word icon on my desk top a seperate box comes up with - problem with short cut this action is only valid with products that are currently installed.

Anyone have anymore thoughts on how to get Word back.
Thanks

cats_five
19th May 2008, 12:00
The XP disk is Windows XP, Word and Excel are part of Office. You need to find your Office disk to reinstall them - and then be a bit more careful what you do with it!

P.Pilcher
19th May 2008, 12:05
Oh dear. If you want to get it back,then you will need the disc! Unfortunately, if it was preloaded on your computer, you may not have this available. If you cannot borrow one elsewhere (and you will need your own serial number as well,) then your best bet is to download a copy of Open Office which is a free Microsoft office replacement, opening most word, excel and so on files. To get it merely google it to get the web address for the download.

P.P.

exeng
19th May 2008, 13:35
Hopefully you will have a restore point available where MS word etc existed. Look in 'programs' then 'accesories' then 'system tools' and finally 'restore'. Follow the instructions to restore your computer to an earlier time.

Regards
Exeng

BOAC
19th May 2008, 14:39
Brian - what exactly do you mean by 'deleted Word'? What did you actually do? It just might not be as bad as you fear...

We need to correct a mis-understanding for exeng and many others, that system restore will replace things like Word. It ONLY backs up the registry and some other SYSTEM files, not progammes, music, letters emails etc etc.

The ONLY way to 'restore' these is from a proper back up, and in the case of a 'deleted' WORD prog, a re-install. Of course, a 'cloned' disk like Ghost or Acronis will do the trick.

exeng
20th May 2008, 10:53
I wasn't entirely sure whether 'restore' would reinstate a program if it had been accidentally deleted - I had thought it might and was therefore worth giving a go. We live and learn eh (sometimes I just live!)

Regards
Exeng

Brian Fantana
20th May 2008, 18:18
Thanks for the info everyone.
I had wiped Word and Excel off the computer entirely by using the Add or Remove in Control Panel. Stupid I know !! :O
All sorted now by reinstalling microsoft office.

Thanks again
BF