PDA

View Full Version : BA CityFlyer lifestyle / roster

FlyingApe
19th May 2008, 11:34
Hi,

I've done a search with no luck. Can anybody please help me with information on rosters, and quality of life with CityFlyer?

I'm interested in roster stability, typical days on/ days off, leave, and of course renumeration.

Any info gratefully received.

Thanks

Flying Ape

racer09
20th May 2008, 09:43
I'm interested just to know the take home pay and what that's like, feel free to PM if you want.

I've been told by somebody that it's an average of 5 nightstops per month.

wbryce
21st May 2008, 23:06
Does anyone within BA CF know when they are planning to start interviewing for the positions advertised recently (closing date was 6th May)?

RJ100
22nd May 2008, 07:56
Pay at BACF: The pay details on PPJN are accurate and up to date. We have not received a pay rise in over 3 years. Flybe Q400 Capt's are better paid than our RJ Capt. The chief pilot is living in cloud cuckoo land regarding some of the idiotic things he has said recently regarding our pay! Many pilots, especially those recently upgraded to capt are actively looking else where. If the company, Chief Pilot, does not change his messed up ideas expect more people to leave the company as soon as they can. :ugh:
Flight Crew moral is at an all time low!!!!

Nightstops: You can request Min or Max night stops. Can be anything between 5 and 10 a month. Depends on your roster.

Roster is fairly stable.

If you have no other choice but to come over to BACF feel free. Otherwise stay away. Same style of crew management as the old days, just different initials!!!!

RJ.

towser
22nd May 2008, 09:25
Can't tell you when they will be interviewing but would have thought in the next few weeks. Average number of nightstops is much higher than 5 nearer 10.

BarbiesBoyfriend
22nd May 2008, 15:18
Well I work at CityFlyer..........and I like it!

I also like hitting myself on the head with a stick.:eek:

They need to sort the pay out or I'll be off.:ouch:

Folk who work here are a good bunch though and as a 'flying job', it must rate highly at least in the airlines. LCY adds a bit of interest and the destinations are quite varied with a fair few nights away.

You can make a good living if you do lots of overtime, but otherwise the money is way out of date!:{:{:{

Iver
22nd May 2008, 15:48
I am sorry for lack of knowledge, but do you fly both Avros and ERJs or just Avros? What are the main pilot domiciles again?

Cheers

Sir Thomas
22nd May 2008, 21:28
You will only be based in Edi , Iver.
But beware, everything the previous guys have written is true, it's not a place people want to stay right now. Morale really is low and the chief pilot doesn't just live in cloud cuckoo land , he is downright insulting in how he chooses to treat his crews with regards to T&Cs.
Anyway, if you're mad enough to want to join, good luck and hope you enjoy it!
ST

ETOPS
23rd May 2008, 08:08
Tries to be one of the boys and acts like he is everyones best mate, but is as fake as Jordans Breasts!

Playing golf with CP the CP a week today - would you like me to pass that quote on :E

3Greens
23rd May 2008, 08:29
take as you find but i know CP and have found him to be a good bloke - crap golfer though!!
As to the ts and Cs i think that these decisions are taken well above his head, you would be better directiong your frustration higher up.

DutchBird-757
23rd May 2008, 12:09
I agree with 3Greens (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=6954) and BarbiesBoyfriend (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=211235) makes a valid point as well.

Don't know where this low moral B***** comes from. Yes the pay is low (valid point!!!) and stuff needs to get sorted (also scope) but the atmostphere on nightstops, in the crewroom and just every day line flying is great. LCY is fun to fly in-and out of daily and the RJ is a great plane for many of us low time f/o's!

I'm doing around 5 to 9 nightstops a month. Positioning sectors are going down, so more chance for operating sectors. Still not a lot of flying per month though. (average for me around 42 hours a month over a 6 month period) You'll be away a lot with relatively low flying hours to balance that. They guy at schedueling is really good and helpful as well with stable rosters. 11 days off in June plus 4 stanby days. (incl. my LPC/OPC trip that month) Seem to have mostly the saturday off with the occasionally late sunday start.

I seem to be asked to work overtime more and more in the last month which is good for the bank balance.

All in all, I'm happy here with just the money to complain about.
Don't forget that we're expanding whilst others are maintaining current growth, some are even downsizing and others have even gone bust. (euromanx)

Just my thoughts. Shoot me for being positive! :ok:

dhc83driver
23rd May 2008, 18:36
pay is a serous issue, Disruption is high for capt`s with lots of last minute changes. With the new routes the F / O`s will start working a bit more lots of talk and rumor about changing aircraft and still no news about the future when our current scope agreement ends. The good news has been the new aircraft and the extra routes but no information about important up coming decisions. I`m sure we are going to start loosing people very soon, and if that happens it will be a snow ball effect as things get worse, are people really going to stay to fly a Q400?

RVF750
23rd May 2008, 18:47
No, they'll go to Flybe to fly a Q400 as the pay is a lot better and they don't get the Waterworld politics anymore.........

Best of luck to you all, the old RJ is not the beast to be on with fuel at the prices it is now....Except for the Autoland, the Q400 is a more modern a/c than the RJ and just as much fun to fly.

BarbiesBoyfriend
23rd May 2008, 23:13
Dont worry you RJ Drivers. It wont be the Q.

My money is on the RJ continuing for a few years yet.

It's the modern day version of the Dak/ Beaver/Otter.

ie.. not perfect, but..................:)

Captain Correlli
23rd May 2008, 23:33
Dreamer.
Compare the fuel flows. compare the likely loads, compare the overheads. Golf with a mate of the CP recently confirmed the future - it's props!

DutchBird-757
24th May 2008, 21:39
In general. Maybe I should have been a bit more specific. I don't know the CP well, almost not. So I wasn't refering in any way to him and everything to do with him. So I can't judge here.

@ RJ100: I honestly can't see the low moral on the flightdeck. I know people complain about pay, T&C's, and future. Low moral for me is when people can't be bothered about the company.
And since you're interested. The 757 after my name is to do with the company I used to work for (it's in the name :ok:) flew 757's and I had a great time with them.

@ Moku. I understand your position and it's totally different than mine and you're right so to be upset! I've heard the stories and especially for Capt's it's been downhill for many years and needs to get sorted ASAP.

A question was asked and I shared my mind as to how I feel in/with this company as a low time F/O. Turning this job down when offered would have been suicide for me. And yes, it's difficult pay wise.

And please don't let it be the Q4. :{

Loop... Hole
24th May 2008, 22:16
DB - If it IS the Q4 it will be because those that do the business planning can see that it is a very good aircraft for BACF's operation - so better for you and the future of your job I think? And if your concern is about the aeroplane itself don't knock it until you've tried it!!

RJ100
25th May 2008, 07:54
DB- your view point about CP taken.

As to the issue of the low moral B***** (as you put it) it is not B*****!
You'd be suprised by the number of people who actually can't be bothered about the company. (Your definition of low moral)

Most of us like the people we fly with, the routes and LCY, but as far the actual company is concerned not too many people actually care about that.

BALLSOUT
25th May 2008, 20:12
I have been reading the previous posts with interest.
I used to fly on this fleet when it was part of citiexpress. In those days big BA decided it no longer wanted to be asociated with turboprops. Since then all the rest of the company has been disposed of, mostly to Eastern and Flybe.
In my opinion there are only two reasons why cityflyer is in existance.
One is that they are tied into the leases on the RJ's, now coming to an end. the other is LCY.
Now that mainline are about to start thier own 318 opps from the city I would think the writing is on the wall.
If any Q400's show up it will only be so Flybe can be persuaded to take on what's left.

FlyingApe
2nd Jun 2008, 13:42
thanks for all the replies chaps.

Any other opinions/info on the rosters/lifestyle ?

Mister Geezer
5th Jun 2008, 22:29
The situation with CityFlyer is interesting. They want to expand but they can't get the aircraft. RJ100s are like hens teeth and RJ85s are rare nowadays as well after CityJet have snapped up many that were surplus.

If BA can wet lease in 146s or RJs at competitive prices then I suspect they will lease in any extra capacity to cater for expansion until the RJ goes and then CityFlyer can cut their ties with any wet lease operators and concentrate on the new type, what ever it maybe. May sound a bit far fetched but believe you and me - the more you think about it then the more credible it sounds!

towser
6th Jun 2008, 09:02
Actually RJ100's are not like hens teeth and are available. RJ85's however are much harder to come by but I am told that 2 more 85's have been aquired from somewhere and will arrive in time for the winter program.

BALLSOUT
6th Jun 2008, 09:31
They couldn't wait to get rid of the six best RJ100's to Swis a couple of years ago. They also rid themselves of the 146's when they did the Flybe deal.
Clouds and kooko land spring to mind!

RJ_Rantster
7th Jun 2008, 10:55
BA CityFlyer may yet become BE CityFlyer and therefore get Gash 8's

TumbleWeedTown
7th Jun 2008, 18:28
They are getting Dash 8's anyway - whatever happens -.
The Dashes will do the domestics routes and AMS, with the RJs carrying on doing the "long haul" stuff - ie Mad.

Mister Geezer
7th Jun 2008, 23:14
They couldn't wait to get rid of the six best RJ100's to Swiss a couple of years ago

Well that is now down to 5 good RJ100s since the aircraft that was involved in the famous LCY landing and subsequent rebuild on the north bank of the docks was in fact an ex BACon machine!

Lord Flashheart
13th Jun 2008, 18:03
Can anyone tell us what payload on average you will be able to lift out of London City on the Dash on a LCY - EDI sector? Will a full pax load be possible?

BarbiesBoyfriend
14th Jun 2008, 01:41
Lord Flash heart.

That's a terrific question.

So come on you -8 folks. Have a wee peep in your jepps , for Lucy

And your Part 4 for the perf outa there.

I've heard elsewhere that it's rubbish on the Q outa London City but it don't stop Luxair.

Would be great to hear some really informed comment tho.

OK Flybe FO's.......I mean you!

DutchBird-757
14th Jun 2008, 15:29
From hear-say;

LCY-EDI, standard day, max pax possible is 60.
Don't even start with FRA's or further. :eek: (30 on the MAD/WAW's? :ouch: )

That's all I've heard folks...

Greetz, an RJ Pilot

TumbleWeedTown
14th Jun 2008, 18:02
Yes but with a typical burn of 800; Thats near on a third of the burn of the RJ, and when have you carried more than 60 on the low peak departures ?

With fuel at 50p a litre and rising, a saving of £800 per sector looks pretty good to me.

But then I know nothing.

RJ100
16th Jun 2008, 17:54
Hubble,

The deal with BA and cityflyer is.. There is none!! Seperate seniority lists terms and conditions etc. Only thing in common is staff travel. Though we get a watered down version. Basically we are the original Open Skies... though without the support of our mainline collegues :eek:...... BA pilot for a BA plane.... Doh too late!!

If you want ot go over to Mainline. You have to apply as an external candidate and go through the entire interview/selection process.

RJ.

timzsta
30th Jun 2008, 14:06
I applied when the advertised. Other than confirmation of my application I have heard nothing. Should I get in touch with them?

RJ100
1st Jul 2008, 08:33
Kiwi100,

There are loads of Flight Crew who would like a LCY base. Until we can sort out the scope agreement with our big brother nothing will happen.

timzsta,

BACF are notoriously slow at getting back to people, and have been since the days of Citiexpress. A qucik phone call would not hurt. Best of luck.
RJ

towser
1st Jul 2008, 22:13
Apparently they are interviewing next week.

FlyingApe
24th Jul 2008, 21:01
...it all helps, along with other sources to build an overall picture, and this kind of decision is always a difficult call. Really you need a crystal ball !:hmm:

Personally I think the outlook at CityFlyer is as rosy as it gets with European airlines for the next few years.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is, and accepted their job offer. I've resigned my current job .. and am very happy to be joining their fold.:)

Thanks again to all posters for their input.

RJ100
25th Jul 2008, 15:36
looks like BA Cityflyer will be opening a pilot base Sept or Oct. Being offered to current crews. Any short fall in crew numbers will be from new recruits. :ok:

emirates001
25th Jul 2008, 16:30
I have an interview with Cityflyer this month, Looking for some info about the assessment.

Anyone on here who works for them that might be able to help?

TopBunk
25th Jul 2008, 17:24
Any LCY base will be in contravention of our SCOPE clause, and therefore the pilots flying it must be on the BA Mainline Seniority list.

I would therefore suggest that you treat any promise of an LCY base with the greatest suspicion.

[Note: Forget the OpenSkies debacle in court, this is confirmed as being subject to our SCOPE agreement with the company]

TumbleWeedTown
25th Jul 2008, 17:31
Well its been announced already, so looks like scope doesn't have much of a say on this one.

DutchBird-757
25th Jul 2008, 18:07
The scope agreement only covers AIRCRAFT based in London. It doesn't say anything about it's pilots.

25th Jul 2008, 18:42
1.1. RJ100
These aircraft configure at 110 seats and are being utilised by BACX to meet regional requirements because of insufficient resources at present to purchase a preferred sub-100 seater aircraft type.

1.1.1. BA or BACX may extend the lease of any individual RJ100, notwithstanding that no lease will be extended beyond 16th June 2010.

1.1.2. Should BACX extend the leases on any of the 16 RJ 100s listed at Appendix B.i. outside of these limits, or acquire any further RJ 100, then all RJ 100 flying will revert to BA Mainline Flight Crew. The 146-300 aircraft in BACX (which has a seating capacity in excess of 100 seats) will remain but will not be replaced by an aircraft of 100 seats or more.

I don't think there is anything in the Scope' clause to prevent aircraft and pilots being based in LCY?
(I understood aircraft already are!)

TopBunk: Do you know something I don't??

TumbleWeedTown
25th Jul 2008, 19:16
Of course BACX does not exist anymore, and according to the plaques on the airframes they are leased to BA Cityflyer. - The Original one and the current one are the same thing it would appear.

bigmustard
25th Jul 2008, 23:23
But the Dash 8 Q400 has only got 78 seats and I can't imagine any of the mainline boys wanting to fly it ! :E

FlyingApe
24th Sep 2008, 17:15
I understand CityFlyer are desparate for Captains. F/O's they have aplenty, so they can be very choosy about F/O recruitment. Airline experience here will be a huge bonus.

Mister Geezer
26th Sep 2008, 03:44
Skippers pay is nothing short of 'dire' and if they offered a decent salary then they would have no problem in filling the left seat since the job itself is not that bad but the salary just puts many off - including me!

JB10
3rd Oct 2008, 17:33
Hi Guys,

Does anybody actually have the rough take home salarys for FO and Capt? PPJN shows a low basic, but not sure how much duty pay puts on top of that on an average month.

If you joined with approx 2000hrs, RJ rating and some tp/jet command time how long are you going to have to wait for a shot at command with seniority?

Cheers

JB10

DutchBird-757
3rd Oct 2008, 17:57
Just drop me a PM.

RJ100
5th Oct 2008, 14:48
JB10,

The pay scales on PPJN are upto date and reflect our latest so called pay rise! Flight pay is £1.90 and hour. some of which is taxed.

RJ.