PDA

View Full Version : Partially Impressed, Partially Let Down - CASA Medical.

PyroTek
19th May 2008, 07:49
Hey guys.

I have a comment and a question:
I got my Class 1 Medical by a DAME in early april and it was sent to CASA, I promptly got a letter from CASA requesting I send payment. I waited till I had my appointment with the DAO, and sent the payment off 2 days later. That was about 2 weeks ago, and What impressed me was that I got my medical Today. CASA's "slow-mode" was inoperative this week, so, after sending my Payment for a Class 1, about a week later I got my medical. I found it odd, seeing all the medical stuff in the 2nd column, for Class 2. Though it says I paid for a Class 1.
The thing is, they mustn't have received paperwork from the DAO yet because theres N/A in both columns.
So What's the deal with this?
Will they send me my (rightful) class 1 when they get the DAO stuff? or should I call them to confirm my class 1 and ask about it?
I was told by my DAO I'd get an instant pass on my eyes, and I remember telling the DAME that I wanted a class 1.
And CASA didn't seem to notice I sent payment for Class 1 (even when the DAO papers hadn't arrived/been processed)? Odd.

Any other things I need to say?

Pyro:ok:

300Series
19th May 2008, 07:57
Sounds like typical CASA. Just ring them and clarify would probably be the best move. That way both you and CASA are in the know as to where you both stand.

PyroTek
19th May 2008, 08:06
Alright, Ill call them tomorrow, but god damn am I impressed with their speed of sending my medical!

(hope the getting the Class 1 wont be so hard)

mingalababya
19th May 2008, 09:49
Alright, Ill call them tomorrow, but god damn am I impressed with their speed of sending my medical!

Impressed with how fast they can stuff things up? ;)

Good luck with trying to sort it out. :)

Back Seat Driver
19th May 2008, 09:55
I know it is good sport to bag CASA, but on the few occasions I've had to ring them to sort out the odd stuff up, I've found the people on the other end of the phone line to be helpful,courteous and efficient.
I'm sure others will disagree, but go ahead and call PYRO, they are decent people.

PyroTek
19th May 2008, 10:39
i'm not sure if they will respect a 17 year old (pimply faced geek?) on the phone asking about a medical :P...
jokes!

Another Number
20th May 2008, 05:41
If there's been a delay receiving some of the info from the doc, but they have enough for a class 2, then CASA, to their credit, may have given you the class 2 as an "interim" measure pending receipt of all the details required for the class 1.

(IE: The class 2's good enough for training, so why hold you up)

PyroTek
20th May 2008, 08:05
Another Number:
Will that mean they will automatically send out a Class 1 when they process the DAO documents?

(I'm aware that a class 2 is good enough for training, I'd just like to get my class 1 to be sure of the ability to get my CPL)

rep
20th May 2008, 12:49
CASA - were not happy, till you're not happy!

PyroTek
20th May 2008, 14:04
Oh i've heard that one before, rep. nice reminder!

Tomorrow's the day, I get home at 4ish tomorrow.

Lasiorhinus
20th May 2008, 14:42
If your DAME checked you out for a Class 1, and said all is well, and your DAO agrees, then you will be fine for a class 1.

As long as you've got a Class 2 for now, you're all good to go - yes, get it sorted with CASA, but nothing's stopping you flying.

When I had my Class 1 Initial Issue done, the nurse took my ECG and audiogram, the DAME took about two minutes, asked me if I was a lunatic, which I denied, and he said "OK, we're good". He gave me a temporary one on the spot, as they should, charged me for the full class one, and sent me on my way.

When months passed and I heard nothing from CASA, I phoned to enquire why it was taking so long... then, and only then, did I learn that the DAME was also required to take a blood sample for testing, and indeed he had charged me for it, but never actually did!

I use a different doctor now.

Chimbu chuckles
20th May 2008, 16:05
Relax Pyro you have time...I was almost all the way through my PPL before I began to lose faith in the, then, Department of Transport-Air....and it took several more years before I started to actually distrust it as an institution...maybe another decade before I was anecdotally convinced they were largely incompetent...and another before they had proved it to me, personally, beyond all reasonable doubt.

Yes there are some great people working at CASA...I actually know/have met/have spoken to, a handful, maybe 6...in the last 28 years.

So sit back, relax and enjoy the ride...because you're going on it irrespective.

Another Number
21st May 2008, 00:10
Another Number:
Will that mean they will automatically send out a Class 1 when they process the DAO documents?

(I'm aware that a class 2 is good enough for training, I'd just like to get my class 1 to be sure of the ability to get my CPL)

Pyro:ok:Yep, I'd say so (assuming everything is OK in the tests).

And, yeah ... no-one wants to spend north of $40K before finding they can't enjoy a CPL, but once it arrives, you'll get to know the real meaning of cashflow (all in one direction :{)

PyroTek
21st May 2008, 06:06
They were surprisingly helpful!
The woman said that the DAO report was in the assessors tray and it would get looked at an my medical sent out either this week or early next week!

She even made a note to the assessor to look at my DAO report... (I never even asked)

thunderbird five
21st May 2008, 21:52
Pyro - you're forgetting the first rule of telephone answering in the public service: "yes! I have your file right here! (shuffle shuffle)"

Okay gang - who was it in CASA that let this customer escape only partially dissatisfied?:hmm:

Chimbu chuckles
23rd May 2008, 02:51
Oh Pyro...the naivety of youth.:ok:

PyroTek
26th May 2008, 05:57
Yep, thats right, Call me naive all you want, but i question you this, why do i now have a Class 1 medical sitting on my desk, just received in the post, dear Chimbu and Thunderbird?

I guess they were telling the truth about it 'sitting on the desk'.
:ok:

Howard Hughes
26th May 2008, 09:42
I have had a number of dealings with the CASA medical branch in the last twelve months and have nothing but praise for them! In particular one young (I assume) lady, who always went out of her way to help and follow up with the Doctors on my behalf, with out a doubt they are probably the best section in CASA!:ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
26th May 2008, 09:53
with out a doubt they are probably the best section in CASA!

Ha! Yes, like a Skoda is better than a Lada- but still crap!

Dr :8

thunderbird five
27th May 2008, 05:24
Congrats Pyro.

Did my medical on 19th.
Sent cheque on 19th, on the way home.
26th, I get a letter dated the 20th, "Show Me The Money!!!!!"
27th; still waiting.....:(
Kinda surprised I didn't get a bill for their SMTM letter!

Howard Hughes
27th May 2008, 05:32
The glass may only be half full Doctor, but everytime I have rung them, I have had an answer within ten minutes!:ok:

sprocket check
27th May 2008, 06:02

FTDK, I am afraid you speak of what you know not.

sc

thunderbird five
3rd Jun 2008, 05:17
Medical 19th May......... it's 3rd June now.... still waiting by the letterbox........ gee.... the lawn needs a mow..... is that a snail......
Great service CASA. Yep. $75 for them to press PRINT and bung it in an envelope. How hard can it be?? Yes, I know I can chase it up with them, but why the hell should I - or any of you? We're paying them a shirtload of cash to do SFA, and they still don't do it.
Piss poor CASA. If you can't handle the job, give it over to someone else who can, like say, the doctor, who YOU authorised to assess people as alive and kicking.
I want my certificate:{

WilliamOK
8th Jun 2008, 10:27

My Nana had a Lada for ages and it never broke down/fell apart/had anything monumentally bugger up. My old W123 Merc on the other hand has heaps of little problems. Go figure.

CASA does have some occaisons where they are competent. Mostly they are more than a little stupid. They sent me the password letter for the self service portal 5 times. I got one Monday then Tuesday etc.

At least I have scrap paper to write on now though. :hmm:

As a government department, they really need to do better. Though most government departments are pretty average at best anyhow, and there's not much that can be done about it when the government in charge doesn't really give a stuff about aviation.

PyroTek
8th Jun 2008, 11:24
Yeah I got the password twice:ok:

ZEEBEE
9th Jun 2008, 01:13
Look guys, you've gotta look at it from their side...

They get a load of docs in from all over, they don't know you from a hole in the ground, the paperwork is often not filled out properly, they get umpteen calls everyday from wouldbe's squawking that their heart condition is only caused by an ingrown toenail, and now to top it off, KRUDD wants them to work even harder :eek::ugh:

mingalababya
9th Jun 2008, 01:45
Yeah I got the password twice:ok:

Do you mean the password to CASA's new online Self Service portal? At least with that, you can see whether or not they're processing your application through the "service request" function.

With any department, there are good workers and bad workers. It's usually those who've been there too long, ie the "dead wood" who provide poor service. Being a government department, their jobs are secure even if they stuff things up.

What's frustrating is that we pay fees for their service, and yet get piss poor service. And because they're a government department, we simply can't take our money elsewhere and seek better service.

Clearedtoreenter
9th Jun 2008, 08:43
I have had a number of dealings with the CASA medical branch in the last twelve months and have nothing but praise for them! In particular one young (I assume) lady, who always went out of her way to help and follow up with the Doctors on my behalf, with out a doubt they are probably the best section in CASA!:ok:

I agree. I reckon some of those folk you actually get to talk to really want to do a good job - but they are frustrated by a bunch of medico gods and administrative geniuses, (neither of whom you ever get to communicate with directly) who see the 'customer' as a very low priorityin their daily diet of organisational politics and self serving manouvering.

rep
9th Jun 2008, 09:33
yes pyrotek, learnt that from good old bob tait!

thunderbird five
10th Jun 2008, 01:21
Meanwhile...... CLICK! 21 days, and I'm still waiting by the letterbox.
(and yes, I've begrudgingly rung them last week..):bored:

mingalababya
10th Jun 2008, 01:57
Meanwhile...... CLICK! 21 days, and I'm still waiting by the letterbox.
(and yes, I've begrudgingly rung them last week..):bored:

This webpage from CASA gives the Service Delivery targets (http://www.casa.gov.au/corporat/sds/sds.asp?group=PLET) for the services they provide. Aviation medical applications, where everything is in order, should only take 7 days to process. It appears that they set themselves a target of 80%, however, for this month, they've only been able to achieve 1%. I don't know whether these stats are accurate or not, but if so, then that's really poor. Afterall, we're paying $75 for the service. :rolleyes: