PDA

View Full Version : PPL Pilot Social Network

hogespa28
19th May 2008, 04:41
Hi, I have become frustrated by the lack of people I have met through my Flying School. Would not be an issue but I am building hours for my CPL and my right hand seat could do with warming every now and again!

So I have set up a social networking site in an attempt to allow Australian PPL holding students to organise flyaways and longer trips with other pilots of similar experience. I am hoping by making it a private site that only members can access and limiting it to PPL holders it does not infringe on any laws regarding advertising.

So if your interested in joining send me a PM and I will send an invite, hopefully if we can get enough people from similar areas we can start doing some trips asap.

(I apologise if the mods see this as shameless advertising! I sure it will be deleted very quickly if that is the case though!)

http://aussiepilots.ning.com/

UnderneathTheRadar
19th May 2008, 06:57
Hogespa,

Good intiative but another, possibly more practical, solution would be to join an aero club.

If you're in Melbourne, Royal Vic at MB will have many likeminded souls. Further afield try Lilydale, Tyabb, Melton, Kyneton, Shepparton (I'm sure I've missed a few).

Good luck with the hours,

UTR

hogespa28
19th May 2008, 07:15
Have tried to do the Aero club thing, but with full time work and other commitments my time to spend at Clubs is usually very short.

Started to get the first few members already so am hoping we can build something reasonably quickly...

Not hoping to be bigger than Facebook but a small net community not to much to ask for I think?

flyer_18-737
19th May 2008, 07:21
sorry delete this post (I posted a PM into here, whoopsy!)

hogespa28
19th May 2008, 07:30
Care to elaborate as to why?

More than happy to if people think its inappropriate but the knocks head or wall smiley doesn't go into enough detail...

kingRB
19th May 2008, 07:55
sounds like an awesome idea - will send you a PM :ok:

Lasiorhinus
19th May 2008, 12:31
Why not actually use Facebook, and set up a group?

The idea is great, though.

Walrus 7
20th May 2008, 02:37
Hogespa,

Six years ago I was frustrated by exactly the same problem as you: all the schools had no time for social activities. Most say they have some form of social club, but nothing ever happens. Realistically, it's up to us to do our own thing.

I solved the problem by joining The Top Fliers. This is a group with no aero club affiliation at all and is spread across several airports. The best part is that there is a large number of members that aren't pilots; just enthusiasts who are willing to pay for their seat. I never get away nowadays without all the seats on the Bonza full.

If you want more details, PM me and I'll send you the latest newsletter.

Walrus

kingRB
20th May 2008, 03:10
Walrus, sounds interesting.

Can you chuck us a PM too? ;)

flyer_18-737
20th May 2008, 03:21
I am also interested, could you please PM me too

flyer_18-737
20th May 2008, 03:25
I am also interested, could you please PM a newsletter too

hogespa28
20th May 2008, 12:08
I have actually never used Facebook, so didnt realise it was possible.

The other reason is I wanted to keep it a private group that could be viewed by members only.

Thanks to everyone who has signed up already, nearly 20 People since last night, I am quite happy with that. :ok:

I've changed it so you don't need an invitation anymore, just goto the site and you can sign up from the front page to gain access. Although interestingly all men so far so not sure if aviation is a great place to find women :(

Capt Wally
20th May 2008, 22:46
'hog' an excellent idea there, to foster the love of something only a pilot can appreciate, although don't like the idea of using it to 'find women', planes & the opposite sex simply don't mix!:ok:

CW

kingRB
20th May 2008, 23:09
I have actually never used Facebook, so didnt realise it was possible.

and thank god you havnt used it.

tinpis
21st May 2008, 01:14
You want social?...join a Yot club :hmm:

Ixixly
21st May 2008, 01:32
I believe its spelt "Yacht" Mr Tinpis :E

anywho i signed up, never know who you can meet. Personally i get to talk to a lot of other students at my flight school currently but its good to know others when i start travelling further abroad!!