PDA

View Full Version : Regular GP or DAME?

ryanduo
19th May 2008, 03:01
I was just wondering if others transferred their medical care to a DAME (as their regular doctor) or continued with their original GP, seeing DAME only as needed, once they started working in the aviation field.

AMEandPPL
21st May 2008, 23:11
Presumably simply a difference in terminology between UK and our antipodean colleagues ! Most pilots in UK have their regular family
doctor ( ie GP ), and their regular AME, but only seldom will the two ever interact.

Before I managed to escape from the NHS I was both to a few pilots - were they the lucky or the unlucky ones ? ! !

And just what is a DAME ? Acronym not familiar to me.

AMEandPPL
21st May 2008, 23:18
And just what is a DAME ?

Oh yes . . . . . . silly me !

As we are told in South Pacific . . . . . .

"there is nothing like a DAME " - - LOL

ryanduo
26th May 2008, 02:50
Just copying what it says on the CASA website - DAME - I'm assuming an AME with D added to ensure we know they're a doctor!

Hawk
26th May 2008, 03:21
DAME = Designated Aviation Medical Examiner. Medical practitioners designated by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority to perform Air Crew and Air Traffic Service medical examinations must be registered with the medical registration authority of the State or Territory of the Commonwealth or country in which they reside.

Only medical examiners that have had appropriate training in aviation medicine can be appointed.

For reference: http://agencysearch.australia.gov.au/search/search.cgi?query=DAME+definition&collection=agencies&form=simple&profile=casa

scooter boy
26th May 2008, 08:44
Here in the UK most AMEs are GPs.
Most GPs are not AMEs though.
Usually pilots keep your regular GP and see the AME as and when required.

I suppose if the AME was also a local GP and you reside within their catchment area then you could request to be on their list.

:confused:Presumably a DAME is a female AME (or cross-dressing male AME)?

SB;)

gingernut
29th May 2008, 23:12
I suspect the agenda's of AME's and GP's will be slightly different.

AME's are there, primarily, to protect the public, not to promote your health. (No insult intended, thats the way it is, and should be).

Although of course the two overlap, it wouldn't be appropiate, (for you, your AME or your GP), to transfer your medical care.

And remember, there may be occasions when the agendas may conflict.

Which is why this forum is so well used.:)