PDA

View Full Version : RAAF Hyperbaric Chamber(s)

ausflyer
18th May 2008, 04:49
Greetings,
Can someone out ther offer me some contact details for the RAAF AVMED department for either Williams or Edinburgh bases? There was a Hyperbaric Chamber at Point Cook some years ago (late 90,s) however it may have been relocated. Any information would be appreciated. PM's most welcome.
Cheer's,
Aus':ok:

kalavo
18th May 2008, 04:53
Local gliding club use to do a trip every two years or so to Edinburgh. Unfortunately they stopped letting the public, even special interest groups near the Hyperbaric Chamber since around 2000?

Avtrician
18th May 2008, 05:31
There is one at RAAF Pearce, but it is no longer in use, and not been serviced for at least 10 Yrs. The chamber at Point Cook was stopped when 1FTS moved out.

Islander Jock
18th May 2008, 05:46
Ahhhhhh, the fragrant waft of your 8 or so mate's intestinal gasses coupled with the silly grins on everyones faces as we tried to do simple mathematical tasks. Waiting to see if the poor mans altimeter (partially filled condom tied to the roof) would explode.
Those were the good ol days :O

Rawrawhammer
19th May 2008, 01:28
"As an Air Force trainee pilot you will complete an Aviation Medicine (AVMED) course covering the physiological aspects of military aviation. You will receive your initial AVMED training at Tamworth before commencing flying. At the completion of ADF-Basic Flying Training School (ADFBFTS), and before starting the Advanced Flying Training phase at No 2 Flying Training School (2FTS) at RAAF Base Pearce (near Perth) in WA, you will undergo further AVMED training, including hypoxia training in a hyperbaric chamber, at the Institute of Aviation Medicine at RAAF Base Edinburgh (in Adelaide) SA."

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/airforce/jobs/Pilot/EmploymentTraining/

Yusef Danet
19th May 2008, 07:15
Used the one at Pt Cook a few years back but we used it as a hypobaric chamber (ie reduced pressure) not hyperbaric ( increased pressure, treatment for diving injuries)

mention1
21st May 2008, 01:57
We went to one as an excursion with our local flying school in the early 90's at RAAF Richmond (Sydney). As mentioned already I believe they don't let civilians participate anymore.

Delay Approved
21st May 2008, 08:50
When I did my AVMED training in 2001 (at Edinburgh) they didn't even let RAAFies use the chamber - apparently they 'broke' too many people particularly during the rapid ascent part. Instead we had to simulate the chamber using a reduced oxygen gas mix. I don't know if they still do it this way.

kalavo
21st May 2008, 10:21
Stumbled in to this looking for some where to renew the Dangerous Goods Cert...

http://www.corcoranaviation.com.au/hypoxia.htm

Roller Merlin
22nd May 2008, 03:03
Guys
the only operational hypobaric chamber used is at AVMED at RAAF Edinburgh, SA. There were a few OH&S and liability issues that needed to be sorted early this century but believe all is sorted now and a revised low-alt program is used.

For BFTS pilot trainees, some staff from AVMED travel to Tamworth during each course and conduct initial training there, and I believe they are able to use the gas mix device to teach recognition of hypoxia symptoms safely without a chamber. Those then going to 2FTS go via AVMED and conduct the full chamber program. There are a number of recurrent programs depending upon employment type (Fast Jet, Transport, Helo etc).

For further advice, contact RAAF Edinburgh (08) 8393 2111 and ask for Institute of Aviation Medicine enquiries, and ask to speak with Chief Instructor or one of the instructional staff. Cheers

RM

ausflyer
22nd May 2008, 07:25
This information has been a great help. Thans heaps for the reply's and the PM's.
Cheer's,
Aus':ok: