PDA

View Full Version : flying in philippines

dc3
25th Sep 2000, 02:54
married with a philippina,i planne to go there on january and living there,i would like to know if there are some possibilitys to get a pilot job there!!!!i will get a working visa for that,but im just worried to know if it's really possible to find a job there!!!!
if there is any philippino pilot or some people who knows something about that or get some good help for me,please keep on touch with me.
thanx in advance for that!!!!!

junstrike
25th Sep 2000, 10:34
What are your qualifications?

dc3
25th Sep 2000, 23:47
im PP multi IFR,canadian and american,but unfortunately 240 flight hours,thanx to tell me what about pilots job in philippines!

ironbutt57
26th Sep 2000, 10:10
having investigated this myself, and being married to a filipina, and having 12,000+ with jet time and type ratings, found it to be a rather closed market..somebody with command time on a dc-9 or b-737 might be in luck, but low-timers..might find themselves in a long line behind filipino nationals...as it should be....you just might need to go there and knock on doors in person...things change there day to day...

dc3
26th Sep 2000, 21:53
thanx for your reply,i will knock on the door for sure,but first i'll try to contact soriano aviation and pacific air,i just wanna know if you paid your type rating or check on type even on islander or something else it can help me........
anyway thanx for all and tell me if you dont mind if you stay in manilla or no....cause i will go to las pinas,and try to find partner there..thanx and good flight there!!!

BUSDRVR
27th Sep 2000, 05:54
I worked as an expat in the RPI for 2 years and it is a pretty much a closed market, unless you are a Filippino. The country is very nationalistic and rightly so. you will have a tough time just converting your license at the ATO ( FAA Equivlent ) but if you can get the license, check rides and visa you may have a shot.

I think your chances are better in North America at this time! besides you will fly better equipment there than in the RP.

Don't think I am completely negative, I loved my time in the RPI and did the best and most fun flying of my life, but sometimes you realize that flying to Jolo is not the safeest of occupations for a foreigner!

GOOD LUCK

PS Don't think the Phil's is a quick step to the big time jet job, it takes just as much work and dedication there as anywhere!

dc3
27th Sep 2000, 18:54
i thought that the FAA licence was enough to work there,but if anyone can tell me what kind of licence they're using there,it will be great,cause i cant find the information,what is it exactly then????

Kaptin M
28th Sep 2000, 00:40
dc3, you'll at least need ATO to validate your foreign licence - that may, or may not require an Air Law exam, which is based on the US system. The validation will be for a limited period [usually re-newable].

There are LOTS of young Filipinos who are trying to get into flying professionally, and as BUSDRVR pointed out, the ATO is fairly protective of their home grown product, so don't expect an easy time when you go to the office.

But it can be done.

dc3
28th Sep 2000, 02:32
thanx again for the information,but it will be great again if i can get more information about what kind of licences exactly you need to fly there,i mean where i've to go there for that,cause i was really sure with american licence it was enough....