PDA

View Full Version : Acer V's HP

jdoe
17th May 2008, 16:06
I am buying a new laptop and considering 2 options:

Either a 16" Acer widescreen TFT with 4G RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 / 2 GHz, a 250 GB - Serial ATA hard disk, NVIDIA GeForce 9500M GS TurboCache with GDDR2 SDRAM - 512 MB of Video Memory. It also has a blue ray drive.
Or... A 17" HP model with similar specs.

Could anyone with any experience of either brands enlighten me on potential pitfalls.
The other option is Lenovo, but they seem more expensive and do not seem to have the same spec levels.

Gonzo
17th May 2008, 16:29
Currently on my third Acer laptop, and all both the old ones are still running fine, including a ten year old Pentium II 450MHz.

mixture
17th May 2008, 22:38
Just been through HP support for a motherboard replacement on a Workstation desktop. Nothing short of exceptional service. Machine is good too.

What CBA says about HP :ok:

Bushfiva
18th May 2008, 02:45
Both HP and Acer have most of their stuff made by Quanta, Compal and Wistron, so the build qualities are likely to be similar, don't know about the quality of design or support.

mixture
18th May 2008, 10:00
Bushfiva

DO NOT confuse manufacturing and design !

Apple have 99.99% of their stuff assembled in China, but the design, build quality and reliability of their kit far exceeds the :mad: that comes off the same production lines !

With proper QA procedures, a manufacturer can have their kit assembled anywhere and be assured that it's coming off the line just as they would like it to.

Bushfiva
18th May 2008, 11:58
DO NOT confuse manufacturing and design !Since I said " don't know about the quality of design or support", then I clearly didn't confuse the two, did I?

spannersatcx
18th May 2008, 18:36
Had an Acer for about 3 years now, still going strong. Something broke once, sent for and received back from repair in a week, under warranty, no problems.

Have HP at work prefer the Acer.