PDA

View Full Version : VS & BA Comparison

jamier
17th May 2008, 16:00
Hello,

Im hoping to go to the USA in october with either BA or VS.

Looking at either Premium Economy or Business/Club/Upper Class.

My question is what are the positives and negatives that anyone here has experienced with the service on board BA & VS.

Is Business/Club with BA better than the VS Upper Class or the same with the premium economy?

Routing is BA Outbound: NCL - LHR - LAX
Inbound: JFK - LHR - NCL
Routing VS is Outbound BMI - MME - LHR then VS LHR - LAX
Inbound is VS JFK - LHR then BMI LHR - MME

Thanks for any comments

Regards,

Jamie R

FarWest
18th May 2008, 03:49
In Premium Economy, I'd choose VS every time for their dedicated check-in, fast Track security (sometimes) and meals on china with metal cutlery.
In Upper/Club there is little difference overall. VS Clubhouse is streets ahead of BA's offerings but on-board BA's meals are better. I prefer VS because I never have to climb over other passengers to get in or out of the seat.

FW

PAXboy
18th May 2008, 10:16
The following is a general observation and NOT personal!!

When asking for comparisons, always bear in mind that the person giving the view will base that on their own personal upbringing, cultural heritage/expectations, age, gender, travelling experience (predominantly biz/holiday) and even how long since they last had a good/bad experience with that/those carriers.

One of the things we often hear is that carriers can be crew and base dependent, giving a different experience from different starting points.

alfamatt
18th May 2008, 11:04
http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/vir_atl.htm
May prove useful research.
As has been said above, it is difficult to objectively compare any 2 airlines on the basis of only one or two flights.
Matt.

traymat
18th May 2008, 16:26
Recently got back from LAX with wife and two kids, found cheaper tickets with Air New Zealand, Premium Economy direct LHR-LAX. The flights (there and back) where one of the best we have flown. It was a 747, we where seated upstairs. The inflight entertainment was great, individual and full of choice both for the kids and the grownups. Food, believe it or not, was one of the best I have had on an aircraft, New Zealand Beef filet. Quick check in at Term 3 as well. It was truly a pleasure and almost £600 cheaper for a family of four compared to VS Premium.

manintheback
18th May 2008, 21:23
Virgin premium eco is way better than BAs effort but it is usually a little more expensive (and worth it). BAs feels every bit economy in a bigger seat - nothing wrong with tthat if the price is right. Virgins feels like old school Biz class.

In Biz, Virgin in my opinion pitch their product slightly above BAs and the sit down bar to get away from the seat wins hands down. Not to mention how they look after the customer (if on a full price ticket) much more door to door. However BA are doing some cracking deals on Biz class at the moment which could well swing it the other way.

jamier
19th May 2008, 11:23
Thanks for all the replies :)

Two-Tone-Blue
21st May 2008, 11:52
Glad I found this, as I'm using BA [of necessity] LHR-IAD next week in Club.

I was wondering about the seating arrangements, as the 747 "new fit" appears to imprison the window pax if the aisle pax has gone full-length. :uhoh:
So it appears "She" and I have to sit in staggered seats, so that we can at least share the access route, but can't talk to each other for 8 hours ;)

Shame I can't realistically use VS Upper [for complex, baggage limit, reasons].