View Full Version : Qantas Crew Discussions - I

flyingfoxy
17th May 2008, 07:56
Does anyone know anything about the Qantas Cabin Crew Team Manager position(s) recently advertised for SYD.

Pay rate and a rough job description would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

speedbirdhouse
17th May 2008, 08:30
Whilst not compulsory, history shows that a pathological hatred of cabin crew is seen as an advantage.

Good luck.:ok:

capt.cynical
17th May 2008, 10:11
1: You MUST have no practical knowledge of Cabin Crew responsibilities,working environment & culture :confused:

2; It is desirable to have been attending a university at some time.If so, the softer the degree the better.:eek:

3; Said degree to have no relevance to managing anything,exept your own perception of your own importance.!:yuk:

4;You must become, if not already, a total sycophant.:mad:

5;see previous post.:D

6;Have the unique ability to lay blame on anybody else but yourself.:p

7; You will probably earn less than most of the people you think you are managing!!!:uhoh:

8; The people you are allegedly managing WILL know this.:ouch:

9; You will last less than 2 years in the job.:oh:

10; Buy some good body armour,your fellow "managers"! will not hesitate to stab you in the back.:(

Welcome to the dysfunctional FAMILY :{

If you are still interested in the job,you will probably get it.:ok:

Good luck.:}

flyingfoxy
21st May 2008, 01:57
Yep - they are Cabin Crew Team Manager position(s) based in SYD.

Even just a rough pay rate would be a big help.

Cheers.

Door_One_Right
21st May 2008, 05:33
The Qantas Careers website doesn't mention specific salary figures, just says 'competitive'.

GalleyHag
23rd May 2008, 07:35
I thnk the salary range is around $70-$80K per annum plus super and other benefits eg staff travel.

L5Brassco
23rd May 2008, 08:56
There is space for another one in BNE as BK resigned today...effective immediatly!!!

speedbirdhouse
23rd May 2008, 09:14
Probably decided to pre-empt the upcoming "cull".

The one thats sure to occur when dickson finally leaves.:ok:

Oil prices must be putting enormous pressure on profits.

I wouldn't be leaving a full time job to join Qantas unless the job was operational.....

Middle "management" has bloated to the point of super morbid obesity under dickson with new broom sure to cut a swath through the ranks of the useless.:D

Door_One_Right
23rd May 2008, 11:37
I'd be interested in the job if it meant I could make a positive difference to CC working life but I don't think that would be the case, would it? The job spec only mentions having crew experience as desirable. I've always felt it should be mandatory for a position like this but I guess they want people in that position who can be impartial. A lot of airlines seem to be going this way.

flyingfoxy
24th May 2008, 07:56
Cheers folks - thanks for your thoughts

Door_One_Right
25th May 2008, 07:18
Applied and rejected. I guess my experience wasn't desirable enough, oh well. Good luck to those who have applied, if any.

Trollywally
30th May 2008, 09:55
Ive heard a lot of rumour lately about the viability of the Qf CNS sh base... some positive ... some negative.... Other than the two daily NRT flights there is not a lot of work originating out of the base , therefore many of the domestic trips are 4 , 5, and 6 day trips ... doesnt seem cost effective to me especially when there is also a base manager, and several other admin staff to be added to the bottom line... what do you think about CNS future?.... What do you know about CNS future?..... What do you think you know about CNS future.... informed opinion please.

TW:suspect:

speedbirdhouse
30th May 2008, 10:08
Much will depend on what qf announce next week as it's reaction to the spike in oil prices.

Rumours suggest that destinations in Japan may be pulled.

Watch the following interview.........

www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2007/s2259834.htm

AirborneSoon
30th May 2008, 10:46
Well I speak with no authority whatsoever and this is completely my own conjecture. But I would agree that CNS may be a base QF would not want to hang onto. Jetstar have a base there and fly to two JPN destinations. Why bother running a QF plane to Narita for a leisure market that's seen better days? Japanese tourists are falling off like flies to CNS preferring instead SE Asia because of the favourable exchange rate. Not a lot of business flying done in and out of CNS.

Door_One_Right
30th May 2008, 11:25
I was under the impression that the NRT services were operated by BNE and SYD based crews as four sector duties.

I recently paxed NRT-CNS. The flight was continuing to SYD with the same crew and about two thirds of the passengers.

Trollywally
30th May 2008, 12:06
CNS to NRT is being operated by cns crew at this stage.. the hotel requirements for crew as per the June 2008 bid package are

ADL 61 AKL 4 BNE 32 CBR 15 DRW 4 HBA 5 MEL 210 NRT 762 OOL 4 PER 22 SYD 40

After NRT the most overnighting port is MEL with 210 with 5 and 6 day trips all Mel flying ... are they short of crew in Mel????

TW :confused:

FNQcrew
30th May 2008, 13:23
Everytime I get on a flight other crew are saying that cns base is supposed to be closing down. I know the pilots will be going, but every time management reply to the cabin crew base closing they get very defensive. It doesn't make sense to have a base here in my opinion and many crew want to go south, yes some are very happy to stay but just as many want to go. Will be interesting to see if anything happens to the base with all these recent annoucements.

kevinyhli
31st May 2008, 06:10
If any of you were at the CNS base when the GM visited the base back in mid-April, you would have known that she has strongly committed to the future of the CNS SH base and any rumor which suggests the closure of the base are purely rumor with no substance behind it.

whatever6719
31st May 2008, 07:14
Trolleywalley

I can tell you first hand that MEL is not short of crew. Maybe you are already aware that Melbourne crew with seniority of 7 years down are all getting 2 leg SYD returns of 4.30hrs!! Some crew are blocked at less than 100hrs and these are full time not casual. MEL crew are screaming for work and arent getting any.
Going from 10-12 overnights a month to 21 SYD returns is not pretty.
Going from your post showing 200 plus nights in MEL, its obvious where MEL flying has gone.

Safe flying!

Firecat
31st May 2008, 07:22
The same guarantees were given to employees of Australian Airlines.
Now...what happened to them?
They were shut down

FNQcrew
5th Jun 2008, 07:59
so now with the most recent news of cutting the CNS-NRT qf flights does it seem viable to just keep the cabin crew there to mainly take over other bases flying? Granted we do many ADL overnights where there is no base, but many other flying is based out of MEL doing day trips and SYD? brace ourselves here we go again i guess....

QF skywalker
8th Jun 2008, 05:19
Here we go again.
Slap in the face number 8 awarded to the Cairns based QF crew.

I've always been a supporter of having the base remain from AO to QF wetlease to QF S/H. But now, 6 years of worry and uncertainty has done my head in.

Close the base, move us to BNE,SYD OR MEL and cut the crap. So sick of living like this !

As far as putting JQ on the NRT flights. I won't even comment because what I have to say will not be nice.

Somehow AO managed to fill up 4 767's a day for four years. Now, not even after one year operating to NGO and KIX we are seeing JQ cutting the route. Big round of applause ! Imagine what will now happen to NRT ! The Japanese do not like Jetstar, will QF management ever understand ?

I feel sorry for everyone in Cairns - the ground staff who will lose their jobs with the axing of the only 2 Qantas operated flights from the international terminal in Cairns, the cabin crew who yet again face an uncertain future due to an oversized base , and the tech crew 767 base of which many don't want to leave when the tech crew base closes in December.

R.I.P the best years of my life in Cairns.

' Australian Airlines - Catch the Holiday Spirit ' :ok:

whatever6719
8th Jun 2008, 07:11
I dont blame you Qf Skywalker for feeling like you do. It must suck big time
having to constantly worry about whats around the corner, especially after all the changes you have already been through.
I just would like to know why they are so keen to keep it open. I guess its just
political, needing to be seen as not deserting the FNQ economy too much too soon as QF have already announced big cutbacks up there.
Interesting to see what happens!!

smartalec888
8th Jun 2008, 10:55
Long live AO! Fantasic f/a's and can always tell the difference on SH flights...

What doesn't make sense to me is, there was comment that one could interpret when B787's arrive that CNS QF SH will again do CNS-NRT? And also if CNS are sitting on RES so much then why continue to recruit MAM casuals? I mean there have been more than 10MAM recruitment days this year so far and still SH complain of being short?

As for JQi and NRT, I presume that this would operate or atleast codeshare with QF so they can get into NRT as there is a long waiting list for NRT?

indamiddle
9th Jun 2008, 00:33
1 day before per l/h base was closed down the base manager was assuring crew that the base would remain open. don't listen to the base manager, they will say what they want you to hear and do what they want, or have, to do.
i still see sense in keeping the base even with a reduced base size to cover early flights out and late flights in. completely shutting down a base is not cheap and who knows what the flying will be in a year or two down the track. good luck!

QF skywalker
10th Jun 2008, 07:03
In my experience the base managers are not told anything either.

When Alison Webster visited she firmly committed to the Cairns base remaining operational for some time. So, if anything changes we can point the finger at her. Our current base manager is very supportive of the Cairns base and its crew.

Bring on secondments to QCCA. If they did this in the beginning we all would have taken off down south. Cairns has a base of 'true' Long Haul hosties in it.

Inca_44
10th Jun 2008, 08:28
Managers will say what they are told to say. If they say we will be closing down in 6months crew would all leave and nobody would be in cns to continue the flying until the very last day. They need crew to continue the flying other bases wont do, or can't for crew numbers.

As for the MAM recruitment.... Well, they will never hire crew as good as CNS crew. What a difference on a flight to have people that love being there and know how to serve business class on an International flight. CNS crew do not suit Domestic! Why they didnt get pushed to L/H is beyond me! So let them hire MAM.

Flygrl
10th Jun 2008, 09:15
To my fellow CNS base crew. Thankyou so much for the past 6 years. It’s been the best time of my life. Remember the days of BKI, 8 day DPS and 4 day FUK and Aust Day Parties. It’s been a turbulent 6-year battle with the company that is for sure.
I just want to wish everyone the best of luck for our next batch of ‘clear air’ and remember we all know each other’s true value, as crew even if the company thinks cheap is better.
Who knows London might just be an AO base after all, if only we could take the weather with us! :ok:

QF skywalker
10th Jun 2008, 10:08
Flygrl are you going somewhere ??

At last count we had about 30 odd crew up in London. It really is turning into an AO base ! If you can't beat em, join em ! I just might yet. Flying with 'some' of the non smiling, unfriendly whinge bags is doing my head in. I reckon we need more MAM. Bring on the young MAM casuals to help pull the old girls in to line.

Inca_44 - Thank you for your nice comments about the cns crew. As soon as I fly with other crew they automatically know we are AO crew. It's quite funny actually.

And yes flygrl, who could ever forget the Sabah and Bali overnights. The long Hong Kong and Singapore 3 nighters and of course the Phuket 4 day slips.

Life was good.

indamiddle
10th Jun 2008, 13:12
QF skywalker, if they shut down the cairns base do not wish for secondment to QCCA. i have already flown with some ex mam crew who came over to longhaul and are stunned by the pay decrease they have taken. whatever else, remain permanent crew with seniority, higher base pay whether you are shorthaul or longhaul, all penalties on the relevant award and the protection that goes with it. i earn as much,if not more, than what a QCCA CSM will earn. your superannuation will increase faster as it is based on minimum annual pay and you will not be on a 6 month probationary period as QCCA are subject to.... one has already been sacked! fly with them but do not become one of them (except in spirit). you have done the pain, still are, don't give up the gain. to the ex AN crew, i am so sorry for all of you

Sistema
10th Jun 2008, 13:40
spoke to union this afternoon to see what they had to say.. was told a meeting scheduled thurs and hopefully an update will be out that afternoon or friday.

lets wait and see... i just hope it has the words 'long haul transfers offered' :ok:

FNQcrew
11th Jun 2008, 02:35
it seems from reading the posts that many CNS crew want to move from CNS, be it to SYD/MEL or to long haul even London, so why doesn't the company offer it?! it would save them money for not having an over sized base, make half the base happy, and solve alot of issues for them and for people wanting to move! isn't that a win-win?!:confused: :ugh:

QF skywalker
11th Jun 2008, 02:55
If they offer us transfers to SYD/MEL/BNE then the PER crew will be up in arms.

If they offer us L/H transfers then people on the divisonal transfer list will be up in arms.

Whatever the outcome, I can see decisions relating to the CNS base causing conflict amongst other bases.

Please give us Long Haul transfers. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

midsection
11th Jun 2008, 03:16
:ok:
I am ex AN and was offered a position with QF after that day in Sept. I decided to move on and after reading the above I am so glad I did. I just hope everything works out for you all as I do know how it feels when you have no say in what happens. Just remember there is life after flying so go for it.
All the best.:):D

argus.moon
11th Jun 2008, 10:47
These so called 'A' days are infact defacto standby days.If CC resources become scarce on these days you can used to fill the void and assist in crewing an aircraft.This would destroy the remainder of your line.
You need to understand the mentality in Operations.They do not plan ahead effectively and operate on a "just in time' basis.Short term crisis management if you will.You are not considered to be a crew member with a life but rather a "unit of work".
PRA(personal roster adjustments)are rife as CC strive to balance home and work life.
When your employer offers no assistance in this regard you use the rules to provide the balance.
Your employer does not understand that this why sick leave amongst CC is high.
The new fatigue protocol will also help address this imbalance.
If you are fatigued and unable to perform your safety duties effectively write a safety hazard report.
In the company's own words this must be treated discretely,confidentially and sensitively.
With rosters of 240 hours 'fatigue' will become both your friend and enemy

DJCCGuy
12th Jun 2008, 02:22
Has anyone heard any info about the possibility of QCCA being introduced to recruit new crew for Short Haul?

FNQcrew
12th Jun 2008, 04:52
the union sent an email today about 'short-term measures' to solve the over establishment of cairns base, as I'm away & won't get any notices does anyone know what these measure are?? and how come everytime the union meets with the company all they seem to get out of it is another date to discuss the matter?!!

QF skywalker
12th Jun 2008, 06:26
Just read the FAAA newsletter. Let me guess what the short term measure will be - ' Extension of non reciprocal port swaps !!! '

Fantastic - pffffft

Great for people who don't mind paying rent in another city for a chance to get a flying line rather than Reserve in Cairns !

Pull your finger out Qantas. Long Haul transfers - NOW.

cabinhostie
12th Jun 2008, 08:15
The CNS base had the best flying that has ever been, its no wonder that some crew are finding the change to domestic hard. The reality is that that the flying we had in AO was not the norm, what we do now is. Why does anyone expect Qantas to give us the long haul transfer before those who have been doing the "norm" for years and waited on the list for their turn to come up. Wake up guys it just wont happen. Your only option now is to take up with QCCA (and be one of Uncle Geoff's chosen) or go to London. By the way.....Long live the CNS base!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Sistema
12th Jun 2008, 22:18
this is norm? help:confused:

its great some people really enjoy domestic. however, when you applied for and absolutely loved what you were doing, to be thrown into tandem, it would be nice to have the offer available. hell i'd rather do a 3am muffin service then a per rtn.

the flying was the best at ao, we all know that and aren't looking for it. but i think we have been keep waiting, continually working hard, and when we thought it was going to get better once 'we were in', we still have had no casuals, flying our butts off and earning less.

my fingers are just crossed that with all the new aircraft coming, there will be some 'qantas' divisional movement.

but quick, before we go out... where's the chux! where's the chux!

oh my god.
:p

cabinhostie
13th Jun 2008, 01:10
I am completely with you sistema, we do work our butts off for less pay and it would be great if Qantas did offer alternatives or even really consider us,
I just cant see Qantas ever thinking of us as people.

To the ivory tower of corporate Qantas, we are nothing but numbers, it doesn't matter if we have exceptional customer service skills eg; for years at AO with crap food etc, all we had as our service recovery was our sense of pride and humor :D AND IT WORKED.....

We are now in a world of KPI's and as long as they are met, Qantas is happy.

Who would ever have thought an Airline is in the "customer Service" division:eek::rolleyes:

Best of luck to everyone!

QF skywalker
13th Jun 2008, 01:37
Ha ! I love it. Put a chux on the cart. They are all so obsessed with putting a stupid wet chux on the collection cart, but can't even wear or button up their jackets when walking through the terminal, do their hair properly, follow service procedures (i.e - attaching the plastic cup under the ring of softdrink when handing to a pax ) or smile at the boarding gate. But don't forget the useless wet chux !! Seriously though, they are not that bad...but there are some Chux nazi's who I just laugh at.

Anyway, not expecting miracles. But.... When the PER L/H base closed crew were offered transfers and other oppurtunities ahead of others on waitlists. Stranger things have happened, and when something is happening to your base that is not favourable then I believe the crew in that base deserve to be ahead of the rest on waitlists when seeking alternative positions.

LONG HAUL, LONG HAUL, LONG HAUL ! Just give us 30 slots for those that want to go ! That will reduce the numbers !

cartexchange
13th Jun 2008, 01:48
hi QFskwalker,
What is tis chux thing! must be a short haul type procedure, I bet its an anal thing they have, anyway looking forward to your description as we have no idea what your talking about in LH

as far as LH transfers go, don't hold your breath, in the last intake 32 came across from SH and NO ONE transferred to the domestics.
OF those that came over 26 went to MEL and 6 to SYD, they also had been on the transfer list for years, most of them were ex LH that went over to the domestics and hated it and put their names on the list to come back.

Can you imagine what the beehives and the rest of the doylie throwers at the domestics will do if you guys at CNS get a transfer before them.

anyway I am waiting for you describe the CHUX, sounds evil..

indamiddle
13th Jun 2008, 02:55
these figures are based on current longhaul and shorthaul rosters i have access to, taken over a priod of 6 months.
per calender month flying 'chock to chock' in s/h = 88 hours
............................................................ .l/h = 82 hours
QCCA add an extra 12-15hours pcm
QCCA no bidding rights
QCCA v L/H 20% pay cut
yes, cabinhostie, take QCCA now

QF skywalker
13th Jun 2008, 03:01
Ok - so this is an old TAA thing.

On every cart they take into the cabin they put a wet chux/wipe rolled up on each end of the cart. The reasoning is for instant help in cleaning up a spillage or wiping down a dirty tray table. It's so hilarious because it's a good idea, but one chux I think would be sufficient. They are forcefully anal about putting one on each end and they never get used ! You have to see it to believe it.

Don't worry bout brushing your hair for work, wearing a name tag or actually using a waiters cloth in Business. But forgot the wet chux and they get very moody. They're not on F27's or DC-9's anymore - no need to wipe ' black soot ' from the engines off everything.

If they don't give us L/H then the only other option is giving us our transfers down south. We should know more after 20th June.

Sistema
13th Jun 2008, 03:53
I am so happy not to be alone with this chux thing. guys next time your on a pattern of 1, when no one is looking, remove the chux and its hilarious, problem is recognized half way up aisle and it will be replenished..

another fun thing, if you are in conversation with domestics, refer to 'now we are domestic', be sure you will be corrected that it is short haul. not domestic. but insist its domestic. it kills 2 mins anyway and you can have a laugh at the reactions...

We really aren't domestics in cns, and i think even they, the domestics, are figuring that out.

the domestic chux. :8 lol...

cabinhostie
13th Jun 2008, 04:10
Not a chance in hell would I go to QCCA.
Nor do I believe that there is a chance that there will be L/H postings offered to the CNS base

If people want to go to L/H then their only way will be via QCCA or London as I said earlier. Qantas does not want to have to pay any more people on the current L/H EBA and wont need to for as long as they have QCCA and there will always people who will do the job with those conditions.....just check out Geoffstar oops sorry Jetstar.

If Qantas had ever looked at us as 'Qantas' then we would have had our years of service recognized when they closed down AO ( however that would have cost Qantas more)

Big picture is, WHAT IS CHEAPEST and the most COST EFFECTIVE. Nothing personal.

Thanks for the stats Indamiddle:)

cabinhostie
13th Jun 2008, 04:15
When the chux is handed to you in the galley.... just smile say thanks and wipe your hands with it:E also gets a good reaction

DJCCGuy
13th Jun 2008, 07:07
Funny about the wet chux, that's also part of our rubbish collection procedure written in the manual for us at Virgin Blue ... I've seen it happen only once!

cartexchange
13th Jun 2008, 07:54
so basically what you are saying is that if there is NO CHUX on board then its a "no go item"

too funny!!!!:}

Just goes to show the difference in the Domestic mentality.....unfortunately this petty attitude towards things that are so irrelevant are creeping into long haul, Audrey is to blame for a lot of our "funny ways"....... well she tries to change things.........in th most petty ways!..... we simply ignore her!

:ugh:

flitegirl
13th Jun 2008, 09:06
I don't think I've ever seen a Chux loaded on a longhaul sector:bored:

Sistema
13th Jun 2008, 09:35
Up and coming EBA, lets fight it out... MORE CHUX! 5% MORE CHUX! :}

whatever6719
13th Jun 2008, 11:30
Geez, what hope do any of us have when this sort of crap goes back and forth for laughs. Chux!!! Big Deal!!
Ive been reading this stuff for months now hoping to find some new points of view gradually coming through, but, no. All we get is the usual lh sh stuff thats really getting old. Guys, I promise im not muck raking or anything but cant we just respect each others division? What do we stand to gain by short changing the other? I could go on with a list of sh*t a mile long about what Ive seen on QF lh flights but I wont. It wont achieve squat.
The time may come when we need to stand together.In fact, I hope we can stand together because there is power in unity, and i think we can all agree that in the current industrial climate, we need all the power we can get!!
Safe flying!!

cartexchange
13th Jun 2008, 11:43
oh for gods sake lighten up...... we are just having fun......

Maybe you should start up a new thread! :ok:
titled "serious stuff only"

whatever6719
13th Jun 2008, 12:32
Fair enough :ouch:,
Ive just spent a fair amount of time reading the Engineers industrial relations thread and it makes for some pretty sobering reading so forgive my "serious" tone.
Also, with the Short Haul EBA about to get underway, I really hope we can
achieve something worthwhile and not go backwards as seems to be the case so often in this industry.
Anyway, back to topic, hopefully the Cairns crew will get some certainty one way or the other whether it be over at lh or over here in the Friendly Way ;)

cartexchange
13th Jun 2008, 13:05
whatever
call the FAAA domestic union and tell them how you feel.
surely they will be able to assist you in some way.
I can understand your angst over the matter.
I too have been reading the engineers thread and I posted a reply but quickly deleted it as I am not going to get involved

Sistema
13th Jun 2008, 13:48
if cairns crew took everything so seriously we would have lost the plot a long time ago with the amount that has been dished out. our humor is one of many great things i love about our base. now everyone, just get a damp chux and lets move on. :ouch: <-(chux on eye)

and just to bring to light whatever6719, we are laughing about a rag, not having ago at each other, as your last post suggests, in a 'friendly way'

call button
14th Jun 2008, 04:47
I read with amusement, all the posts about chux. Unlike longhaul flights where the aircraft are fully cleaned between sectors, and all the tray tables cleaned with spray and wipe, shorthaul aircraft are only fully cleaned once a day. Between each sector, the cleaners race on for about 5 minutes, do very little and get off. They do not clean the tray tables.

Often when you are out on the cart, and a passenger puts their table down to receive their tray, the table is covered with red wine spills (or much worse!!). You then have to race back to the galley to get something to clean it. After you have done this 10 times a day a brilliant idea comes to mind - 'Why don't I take the wet cloth with me on the cart, that will save a lot of time and effort!!!!!!!'

Of course, some shorthaul cabin crew don't bother with the chux, they don't even bother if the tray table is dirty, they just slam the tray down. But they are usually either the 'beehives' or the jaded ex longhaulers, and of course never the 'service excellence AO crew'. :ok:

QF skywalker
14th Jun 2008, 05:15
If the July bid pack is anything to go by then we are definetley staring down the barrel of base closure. No flying in it. Hardly any NRT's. Looks like 35 or so will be on Reserve again. ( I.E - AO GROUP 21 and below )

Trips with 5 overnights in MEL !!! MEL-PER returns every day ? Disgusting. And they wonder why they are still having issues with sick leave. No other crew member in the shorthaul network would do a 6 day trip with MEL-PER returns every day of it.

People SAFE ? PFFFFFT ! FATIGUE !!

GalleyHag
14th Jun 2008, 06:38
QF skywalker

I can appreciate where you are coming from but at least you have overnights a max of 18 (for some with enough senority of course). Spare a thought for Melbourne based crew only 8 overnights (once again with senority) with a lot of junior crew in Melbourne also on reserve and only Syd returns. So its just not Cairns.

As for direct transfers to long haul, good luck all hell would break loose if that was to occur and all the beehives would fight to the end to ensure you didnt get there before them. If transfers "were" to occur to long haul I would think it would be off the transfer list and Cairns crew would then be transfered to Sydney/Melbourne or Perth.

If the base was to close and the Perth transfer issue arose again it may mean that some Cairns crew would be offered Perth over the other bases I suppose.

QF skywalker
14th Jun 2008, 07:14
GH,

You're absoloutely right. But . . I'm just dreaming :). I just think after 6 years we deserve a good gesture. A lot of people will say ' but you got given short haul jobs after AO ' . .Well I can agree partly, but for 90% of us it wasn't the dream job we had longed for and only the top 30 out of 250 of us got offered a slot down south. That leaves a lot of deserving people behind. Our dream was to get back down south as promised. ( AO southern base by mid 2003 ! ).

In addition to this no recognition of seniority and year one pay has since made us all poor. We have just had another junior crew member resign after having to sell her car because she is not getting anywhere near the same wage as AO. ( We were promised by QF no financial disadvantage after the closure of AO )

I know i am dreaming with BNE/SYD/MEL transfer or immediate LH transfer but the thought makes me finally feel apprecited, rewarded and happy.

QF SKY
( P.S - None of the above relates to the top 30 senior crew in CNS base who are wealtheir, happier and healthier than ever before - all because they started 7 months in front of most of us )

argus.moon
14th Jun 2008, 09:38
You are a "unit of work"...not a human being with a life of friends or aspirations.
You are of no consequence.

whatever6719
14th Jun 2008, 10:01
Argus Moon,
Oh how unfortunate your post was...yet, it is so true!!!

It pains me to say this but the sooner we accept that hideous truth, the better
off we'll probably be.
All i try and do is fly under the radar, have fun on board with a (mostly) great bunch of people and look after the punters with the respect they deserve, seeing they pay my mortgage!! The company are not going to give a rats if I stay or go but as long as im having fun, thats all that matters to me!

Anyway, hope the Cairns crew get a good deal, on second through, I hope we all end u getting a good deal

Happy Flying

FNQcrew
14th Jun 2008, 11:30
can anyone confirm that the 'short-term measures' are in fact the continuation of the port swaps? has that notice come out in the base? if anyone knows??

fluffyderby
14th Jun 2008, 13:23
Rumour mill has it that management will be making a play for that in the next short haul EBA...why wouldn't they? They are cheaper than Casuals, and why would short haul be the exception to long haul and Jetstar "B" scales.

Of course current F/A's would have to be stupid to accept it...unless you are intending to jump ship prior to the subsequent EBA and the carrot they dangle is HUGE...but then stranger things have happened before ie. the Regional flying EBA debarcle that got over the line.

I understand that that old fear factor/loss of flying/job chestnut was rolled out by managment prior to voting...but in 5 yrs time management at long haul will have enough QCCAs that they will be handing QF Airways crew their conditions-take it or leave it.

Anyway...Qantas management are light years ahead of our unions with future plans.

If you are looking at getting into flying now...I would suggest that you don't. You can earn more money these days waiting tables! Or perhaps just use it for 2 yrs to see a bit of the world.

call button
14th Jun 2008, 21:57
I believe the company have deferred further discussions regarding short-term measures until Friday 20th June when they will be meeting with the union to discuss.

The over establishment of crew affects all bases, with Cairns being the most over crewed.

My guess is that they will introduce a leave burn program, and also LWOP. I guess the Cairns cabin crew probably don't have a lot of accrued leave, however anyone with over a certain amount will be forced to take it. They will also probably offer LWOP, and temporary part time.

cartexchange
15th Jun 2008, 06:36
yet they are still recruiting heavily in AKL.............

speedbirdhouse
15th Jun 2008, 06:37
Unfortunately..................

stubby jumbo
15th Jun 2008, 08:41
I don't want to add to the pall of gloom hanging over our CNS comrades,

BUT...............the same stench is floating around what happened to us in PER.. 4.5 years back when the "BA-gnome" pronounced :

"THE PER L/H BASE IS A REALLY SPECIAL PLACE......I WISH WE COULD REPLICATE IT ON THE EAST COAST !":{:{

The rest my dear friends is history.

Shattered dreams, Relocation nightmares, short team financial grief.

Remember that scene in........ I-ROBOT.....thats us:ouch:

Argus is on the money, -The current "regime" see us as a "unit" who opens the door if ( in the unlikely event) if there is a problem.

How long has Darth got to go?

Please tell me....... its only a matter of months !

Good Luck all of you in FNQ

Trollywally
15th Jun 2008, 12:26
Stubby Jumbo (or anyone else who knows)

When they closed the Per LH base how much notice where you given? What where your options? Did you get reloction assistance?

cheers
TW

cartexchange
15th Jun 2008, 12:37
trolley it all depends on what your domestc faaa can negotiate.

the PER base was long haul, you guys are under a different award

cartexchange
15th Jun 2008, 13:25
bla bla
Yes 32 transferred to LH
NO ONE tansferred to SH

Bla_Bla
15th Jun 2008, 23:55
(...) but in 5 yrs time management at long haul will have enough QCCAs that they will be handing QF Airways crew their conditions-take it or leave it.

how accurate. QAL crew will than realise that the 3K bribe wasn't BIG enough.
alas. oh dear .... :ugh:

(...) You can earn more money these days waiting tables! (...)

again! how accurate!!! i have 2 freinds making twice more money than me doing that !!! :}

A_B_P ,

many thks for clarifying the confusion with the A days. that was driving me insane. it seems that atm not many people ( incl management ) know much about our conditions . thks once again.

now i have a question to ask and pls if anyone know the answer please explain.

scenario 1 _ my roster is blocked at 230 hours. during the course of the 2 mth period i accumulated 15 hours worth of disruption and delays...
in theory 230+15=245 which means 5 hours of OT. right ?
how am i suppose to know if/how am i getting paid for those extra 5 hours ? the system CIS in LH doesn't show anything at all. back in SH it would automatically change on ur line. apparently in ARMS it does. dodgy as...
even if my LA goes pear shaped and it turns out to be a 19 hour duty how do i keep track of the xtra hours ???
a QAL crew told me that what she does is she writes it down her xtra hours in a diary so she knows what is going on ? is that for real ? another one that has 26 years told me that still to this day she doesnt understand her pay slip. i guess if i got paid what she does i wouldnt bother either.

scenario 2 _ I had a duty cancelled. it was a PER rnt. worht 11.50 hours. i was than told u owe us 11.50 hours.
my next duty was delayed by approx 5 hours all up both ways. does that mean that i now owe the company 6.50 hours ? 11.50 - 5 ?
please help !!!

lovelondon
16th Jun 2008, 03:14
I was just about to write a response to your scenarios 1 and 2 and realised there are three ways I can think of to get the " right " answers.

As you pointed out many FA's dont understand their payslips but its got nothing to do with earnings but rather apathy.

I would pick up the phone to ask operations first and if not satisfied with that then call the FAAA. As tedious as it is to wade through the EBA document the answers are probably in there too.

If you have a duty cancelled then you will be pay protected for the same number of hours which can be recovered by assigning you a duty on A days. I dont know if QCCA crew can decline an assigned duty and drop the pay protection but a phone call to ops will clarify that.

Overtime from a specific bid period is usually paid on day 29 ( 2nd Pay day ) of the next bid period.

A lot of crew view operations as the enemy but if you are polite in your phone manner then 99% of the time they are very helpful.

cabinhostie
16th Jun 2008, 06:07
Hi GalleyHag

What year pay are the MEL crew on who have lost O/N's?
CNS base may have more O?N's but did you know they are on a 1st year pay scale?

I wonder if this evens out the money issue.

Best of luck to MEL and CNS crew I hope all these issues are sorted out soon:ok:

Sistema
16th Jun 2008, 07:05
from what i have seen, all these melbourne overnights, are just cns crew being based in mel for a couple of day doing day trips, so wouldn't that be a sign that mel is short of crew to cover there day flying?

or is there a huge amount of permanent crew on res in mel too?

QF skywalker
16th Jun 2008, 07:31
There are quite a few permanent crew on RES in MEL. Also the rest of the base are getting awful rosters ( mainly SYD returns ). Even though our bid book shows lots of MEL overnights, you will see that the issue of MEL crew claiming we are ' stealing their flying ' is a silly argument. On closer inspection the trips are pattern of one so all they are doing is tagging one CNS crew member on to a full MEL crew.

mrpaxing
16th Jun 2008, 08:57
girls. you cannot reduce anyones pay in any future awards. so instead of "having a go" at lhccr conditions the future for you guys is to increase your pay and conditions. as argus correctly points out if you are fatigued put in a safety report. dont forget to send a copy to the faaa and the chairman of the OH committee. yes the company has been very clever over the years to split lh/sh unions thats why we are in the current situation. is it going to get better? the simple answer is no as long as there are two unions we all will loose!!!!!!

whatever6719
16th Jun 2008, 12:24
Cabinhostie,on the issue of MEL crew and the flying we are doing, basically, anyone from about 7 years seniority down have been thrown SYD returns. Quite a few of these people have even been thrown reserve which goes against our EBA as we had a choice back then to permanently stay on Reserve or forfeit it forever. Several people have been thrown Reserve for the first time in years. Apparently this matter is going before a hearing to be sorted out according to the Union emails.
MEL crew are suffering financially. You dont need me to tell you the figures involved when DTA plummets from 300+ hrs to 120. Not to mention Bands/OT/MBNT, etc etc. This literally happened overnight. A HUGE reduction in pay with little warning. Not good at all considering the cost of living as it stands now.
I have to admit the bid package for July does look marginally better with bigger days, higher hours but overnights are a shadow of what they were.
We shall have to wait and see what happens when blocks are published.
By the way, it isnt solely the issue of CNS taking MEL flying. It also is due to the high number of MAMers that went across to QCCA leaving MEL short. This probably explains the use of CNS crew. Either way, it isnt fair that such a drastic change in flying can happen and in such a short time. Our EBA states that flying should be shared equally amongst the bases. This is not happening.

OldBoiler
17th Jun 2008, 12:12
I suppose what can be said about this is that overnights and allowances are not, and cannot be guaranteed as part of your income. We discovered that very quickly in 2004 in the change over from Impulse/Qantaslink to Jetstar. One month we were getting 8-10 overnights a month and the next month none......gone forever! :{ Management have seen what savings can be made by eliminating/reducing overnights at Jetstar, lets hope you guys dont suffer like we did.

cabinhostie
18th Jun 2008, 08:33
Management have seen what savings can be made by eliminating/reducing overnights at Jetstar, lets hope you guys dont suffer like we did.

OldBoiler, you are too right, we don't want that to happen.

We need to support the engineers eba actions because if they win this, it will give our faaa precedence for our eba negotiations and hopefully nothing like what you guys have already gone through will happen to all QF bases.:eek:

We need to solidarity now, not division between the bases.:)

There are a lot of great crew out there, lets stick together :ok:

ruffrider747
18th Jun 2008, 09:32
Oh I love that explantion of management how very very true:D:D

Sistema
18th Jun 2008, 23:05
when jq pulled overnights the difference was the jq crew worked their behinds off! more then before..
but with us, im on beautiful home res and loving every minute! easiest buck i have ever made! so not sure this is saving money for qf s/h?

is there a meeting tomorrow? fingers crossed...

FNQcrew
19th Jun 2008, 05:05
was anyone else listening today on crew vioce when queen bee herself said cns base is staying put? so what will this meeting hold then, all I hope is that they don't decide to meet again in the future but action some transfers out of there so we don't have half the people sitting on res in the future and we don't get flying at the expense of other bases!!
transfers,transfers...

airbus_galley_girl
19th Jun 2008, 07:09
Sorry guys I missed crew voice today, any new udates?

mark sicknote
19th Jun 2008, 09:44
Sorry for thread drift but...

Flying into HK from LHR a few years back in a Qantas aircraft on New Year's day got the call from the gents up front:

"Ladies and Gentlemen etc...Captain from flight deck...just begun our approach into Hong Kong where First Officer xxxx will attempt the landing."

2 Minute pause as aircraft begins descent.

"Ladies and Gentlemen. First Officer xxxx from the flight deck. I will indeed be attempting a landing at approximately xxxx local time."

Bless the Qantas crew and their Oz humor. Made my flight a memorable one. Best "Crews Voice" I've heard!

Best,

Sicknote:ok:

tong
19th Jun 2008, 13:47
Word is it will be closed... If I was a gambler I would get on it at about 1000 to 1 odds...

Qstar
23rd Jun 2008, 07:02
Ok I have seen today that the A380 is a dedicated crew and you will only fly on this aircraft only!!:{ (QCCA ONLY)
Qantas crew can swap back after 2 years or they also have to stay dedicated to the aircraft permanently after this time.
We have been so screwed by this it breaks my SPIRIT. Would you dedicate yourself to an aircraft and never be able to transfer back? It affects everything in our work place. Qantas have finally divided us beyond our imagination :{
We now have SH , MAM, LH, QCCA, A380, London / Auckland / Bangkok Bases. What is next 787 Dedicated? In the UK, BA crews were unhappy with pay conditions being harassed over sick conditions and feeling that they were not VALUED as a work force. THEIR UNION (Which is all BA CREWS SH / LH) took action against the company and a stop works were called. BA got back to the union real fast and it was sorted and a better deal was done. (this is FACT) WE NEED 1 UNION FAAA - FLIGHT ATTENDANTS ASSOCIATION OF AUSTRALIA....... AND TO WORK AS ONE!!
With 20 A380's what is to happen to the qantas work force? Maybe I should apply now with QCCA cause I feel in 5 years will be working for them anyway. (I btw am not having ago at QCCA these guys do work hard and are CABIN CREW like all of us no matter who you are working for!!):=

Coleman Myers
23rd Jun 2008, 08:59
Just a quick note to say your new premium economy is great and you guys are too :ok:

Qstar
24th Jun 2008, 00:16
A B P

So true!! Look forward to seeing the same as what happened in london, so many new crew on a flight that know one knew what do to and the experience goes right out the window. (again not having a go at london base).
My advise QCCA don't take it!! And look out EBA 9, by this time I hope we have our **** together........:ugh: like BA work together get better conditions to keep the flying and share the destinations.

indamiddle
24th Jun 2008, 01:24
anyone have any idea what is going to happen with the l/h base in melbourne? with the A380 taking over the mel/lax sector and tokyo getting the flick what flying, if any, will they have left? i have the same question re the s/h base in cairns. anyone heard anything?

not4thefainthearted
24th Jun 2008, 05:14
I can't believe that there isn't one union, sounds like Qantas set this one up. what's wrong with you guys? don't you believe in looking after yourselves?:confused:

Every Flight Attendant I have met has appeared to be intelligent but allowing a company like Qantas do what they do to you seems like stupid and selfish behavior.:=

Create some solidarity, all join the unions and create some strength amongst yourselves. Then you can force the unions to work for you, maybe even unite.

A strong union can create much better working conditions for you and remember, a plane with passengers cannot fly without trained cabin crew.:ok:

justforme
24th Jun 2008, 05:47
QStar and Not4thefainthearted Hear' Hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whatever6719
24th Jun 2008, 06:17
Amen to that!
We all really need to finally pull our fingers out once and for all and email/phone our respective unions and GET THEM to start looking at joining.
Forget all the past excuses about one not wanting to work with the other, bla bla bla, we really have to get serious NOW!!!

Im going to tell as many crew as I can to start a campaign of getting the word out there to get the unions to start doing some SERIOUS negotiations to merge.

ITS TIME!!!

fluffyderby
24th Jun 2008, 15:37
Perhaps the rate of pay cannot be reduced per se as it is covered by legislation.....however condition deterioration and manipulation of rosters so F/A's actually end up earning less money is a reality. It is already happening at short haul.
For example. What kind of flying do you think is eventually going to be left for the F/A's who don't want to fly on the A380(for more hours at less pay!)? All of the long range stuff will go, the only choice will be (drum roll) you guessed it...regional trips.

Rumour has it that some long haul trips are already being kept out of the roster build for QCCA F/A's to do....the more expensive routes I assume. Funny how a QCCA person can be on a trip that a QAL crew member bid for.
Don't worry though. The union will police it...more of a reality check if you believe that!

peanut pusher
25th Jun 2008, 01:34
BKK base was put on a short extension of contract due to expire shortly.

Does anybody know if they have been offered anything else ?

Some seem to think thats it for them and they will be finished up.

skylarker
25th Jun 2008, 19:19
BKK base just had a new contract signed off and will be around for while yet.

Good news for them after alot of uncertainty these past few months.

GalleyHag
26th Jun 2008, 00:48
How do LH crew feel about the new L.A. hotels? Compared to the current one they look pretty ordinary, however the location may suit crew more is that the case? The new hotels are contained in a notice on the CC website.

twiggs
26th Jun 2008, 05:20
How do LH crew feel about the new L.A. hotels? Compared to the current one they look pretty ordinary, however the location may suit crew more is that the case? The new hotels are contained in a notice on the CC website.

Considering a few years ago we were fighting the company in the AIRC to get out of the downtown location, I think there will be many of us that will feel much safer in Costa Mesa.
And for those that still want to stay downtown, you will still have the option by doing JFK trips.

Qstar
26th Jun 2008, 10:29
Ok....
In years to come say 5-10y LONG HAUL has 3 devisions - L/H - QCCA - A380
747 aircraft sold off, scrapped, 744 sold off, scrapped, 767 to short haul.

QCCA - Fly A330 - B787
QCCA - A380 ( 20 + Aircraft) now the Flagship of Qantas (Dedicated Crew)
QCA - A330 - B787

This 5y EBA states B787 is for Long Haul crew, but alas by the time they arrive our EBA is out of date and we need a new EBA9.
Maybe B787 will be dedicated too, or QCCA A380 - B787 :eek:

This means we no longer employ QCA LH Cabin crew, promotions these also slow down to a trickle as we need them only in QCCA. :confused:

Does anyone else see this or am I being over the top worried, when I have nothing to be concerned really about...... :uhoh:

Qstar
26th Jun 2008, 14:00
oops DIVISIONS..... so did not proof read.....:uhoh:

airbus_galley_girl
27th Jun 2008, 10:01
"Quote"

Rumour has it that some long haul trips are already being kept out of the roster build for QCCA F/A's to do....the more expensive routes I assume. Funny how a QCCA person can be on a trip that a QAL crew member bid for.

That has been happening at SH for years! Qantas has been caught out holding flying for SH Permanent Crew who have bidded for the patterns and given them to MAM Casuals, nothing new here.

:=

mrpaxing
27th Jun 2008, 11:39
Qstar. You should be more worried about this clause!!!! keep looking at the oil prices and dont sweat too much!!
17. COMPULSORY REDUNDANCIES
The Compulsory Redundancy Arrangements are outlined in Schedule 2 to this Agreement.
Any compulsory redundancy of employees under this agreement will occur in reverse order of seniority.
Seniority for the purpose of this clause means the total period of service as an employee in any classification
covered by this agreement, whether employed by Qantas or QCCA. For this purpose employees of Qantas and QCCA shall be treated as one group for the determination of seniority.
:sad:

H_Girl
28th Jun 2008, 09:37
i don't think there is much need to worry regarding compulsory redundancies, there will always be enough crew willing to take the package especially as they didn't let any BFA go last time.

Qstar
28th Jun 2008, 23:29
this was in the Financial Review..... :D:D:D:D

02 Jun 2008 | The Australian Financial Review
Qantas CEO Needs Seachange

Qantas lurches from bad news story to bad news story, either of its own telling or as recounted by so many of its weary and disappointed customers ('Qantas axes routes, jobs on fuel pain', May 29).

I cannot identify a chief executive officer who is focused less on the needs of his customers and staff and more on creating shareholder and executive wealth than Geoff Dixon.

In this he ignores the dictums that, in a service industry, customers need constant attention, and staff need to be treated in the same way as you would want them to treat your customers.

Constant cost cutting and “Chicken Little” speeches, lead to corporate anorexia and disengaged staff, never to sustainable high performance.

On the upside, having weekly contact with Qantas staff, I am continually amazed at the latent goodwill and commitment that so many of these people have for their organisation and brand.

While Insurance Australia Group may have been over led and undermanaged, Qantas suffers from relative over management and a leadership void as Dixon fails to enlist his people in the task of working through the group’s challenges.

As the Qantas board approaches the choice of its next CEO, we can only hope it recognises the need for a seachange in the role of, and contribution from, Dixon’s successor.

Roger R. Collins
Gerroa NSW

Sistema
30th Jun 2008, 13:04
this was much more fun when it was the cns chit-a-chatta...

now who knows >

1. Whats happening with us?

&

2. Where's the chux?

QF skywalker
4th Jul 2008, 02:45
Rather than telling us to cut back on crew luggage in the cabin (to save fuel costs ), maybe they could cut back on bulk loading of chux !

Seriously, I've never been so amused at their latest way to pick on crew. They are relentless in sending Cairns crew on ' POO ' ( Pattern Of One ) 6 day trips and they think a 3rd piece of luggage ( QF suitpack ) is inappropriate ?

Still waiting to hear our fate up in CNS. Do we really care anymore ?

OchreOgre
4th Jul 2008, 11:39
QF Skywalker - no.

midsection
7th Jul 2008, 03:01
Hi All

Anything to report on CNS base.
Hopefully it will be good news for you all.
Hang in there:D:D

DJCCGuy
15th Jul 2008, 09:04
Can anyone tell me if QF has internal transfers to Cabin Crew from other departments, such as ground crew?

indamiddle
16th Jul 2008, 00:52
all new lhcc will be qcca pay rates so no point going ground crew to get into cc. short haul is only mam. at least mam earn more without jet lag

mrpaxing
16th Jul 2008, 22:53
the new sh eba is finished. i can see a mr. ma being removed from any connections with qf.:O

peanut pusher
17th Jul 2008, 07:03
THe QCC mill is punching out rumour faster than Audrey's inflight service mess up's.

1,CNS base is looking on less solid ground with the buiness model being looked at as sectors are not going ahead that would of supported it.

2,Offer of VR and LWOP will be out by end of next week.

3,Even a part time job share is being talked about for min 6 months.

4,The visitors were told a restructure of management is looking likely so the intro of many middle manager wally's may be looking for work next week.

5,Reduction of all non profit routes and even looking at cheaper hubbing in Asia as HKG and BKK are charging stupid money for landing, taxes etc etc. KL has been courting QF for over 18 months with no taxes or landing costs for 20years.

It will be a very interesting next few weeks with all the elements stacking together for another asain money crisis.

Big economy nations ie USA, UK, Japan EU etc buy alot less and cancel orders from massive asian manufacturers and these economies are set up for large volume mass market.

It's already reflected in asia now with orders slowing and the world price of rice up over 180% in 2 years.

Cut price airline cowboys who prostitued the airline industry with cheap wages and stupid fares have just had the low cut business model shoved back up their a_s with interest as they cannot continue to sell tickets with stupid margins that has done nothing more than destablise the great industry it once was.

I think Virgin blue will not be around another 3 years as the ASX showed VB at a low of 58c this week with toll saying they may walk away from VB leaving them without a finacial backer.

They have lost over $1 billion in that asset in 2 years.

Tuff times ahead for QF staff as GD will use this leaver to turn the tables on the real worker.

Tuff times for everybody !!!!!

mrpaxing
17th Jul 2008, 07:27
valid comments PP, but its not all doom and gloom.GD uses the current oil/engineering issues as excuses trying to screw the working people in QF. oil is always going to be on the way up with ecomomies like India/China massively increasing demand. thats why QF employs a economist/risk managment team/consultants to give the best market updates/foresights. It is as no surprise that GD & CO put out a lot of missinformation about the engineering dispute. that they also got caught out on fuel hedging and lack of foresight in getting the 777 is more then enough to sack the lot.
now they are talking about a 5% reduction in management. what a joke!! they have multiplied since the last "restructure" like rabbits in the simpson dessert. anyway lets see what the next week brings:oh:

smartalec888
18th Jul 2008, 06:38
JQ ADL base to be closed by end August '08.

QFKFY
18th Jul 2008, 07:29
What's being offer to JQ ADL base cabin crew? Are they being made redundant? Or being offered base/job transfer?

sthaussiepilot
18th Jul 2008, 10:35
I was told redundant for most....
I think some are being offered transfers... but most are being made redundant

whateva!
18th Jul 2008, 11:30
Quoted from msg to all JQ staff via email from CEO Allan Joyce

It is with much regret that I confirm the planned closure of our Adelaide aircraft and crew base. We currently base two aircraft, 50 cabin crew and 30 pilots in Adelaide, operating 37 weekly return flights.

From the end of August, this base will close and we are currently working closely with our Adelaide colleagues towards this change.

We will be offering cabin crew across the domestic network a voluntary redundancy program and leave programs. Adelaide cabin crew will be given preference for other base opportunities before we pursue redundancies. Our Adelaide pilots will be offered transfers to other bases.

Ace McCloud
25th Jul 2008, 10:50
Congratulations to the crew for their professional handling of the incident. Happy to hear that everyone on board is safe.

Qstar
4th Aug 2008, 00:05
Has anyone seen the new EK A380 interiors. Qf thinks that theirs are the best ever, horrible choice of marc newson yes thats right marc newson, we all fly an airline cause of marc newson... Our's look such SH*T!!
The ECY cabin looks so fresh, the bars are fantastic and showers for Fcl cabin.
What do you think??
:ugh::{

DJCCGuy
4th Aug 2008, 03:29
Has anyone seen the new EK A380 interiors. Qf thinks that theirs are the best ever, horrible choice of marc newson yes thats right marc newson, we all fly an airline cause of marc newson... Our's look such SH*T!!
The ECY cabin looks so fresh, the bars are fantastic and showers for Fcl cabin.

Agreed! The EK cabins look absolutely amazing - though I wouldn't expect anything less!

cartexchange
4th Aug 2008, 10:31
who cares what they look like.
its space people want.....ask anyone that boards a plane they are concerned about space not if the farking carpets are "magenta"
As far as I am aware QF has the most space in YC

ZackQF
5th Aug 2008, 09:11
now really, are people going to want to fly on the EK airbus with the showers and sexy looking inside..

or will the choose the QF aircraft which seem to be falling to bits..

i know, they will choose QF because we have CHUX..... cant beat it! Just wet one up and pop it on ur leaking fuel value, works a treat!

:p

Qstar
6th Aug 2008, 06:15
I somehow think space is not how people book the fare..... I thought price comes first.
Also from what I have seen of both cabins, they have the same number of seats. When you are selling something no matter what it is, appearance is very important, look at these 2 pics tell me which one you would buy??

Zimbio Pilot - Airbus A380 (http://www.zimbio.com/pilot?ZURL=%2FAirbus%2BA380%2Farticles%2F36%2FQantas%2BA380% 2BCabin%2BPhotos%2BQantas%2Bunveil%2Bdisappointing&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fbiztravelguru.com%2Fblogs%2Fbusiness-travel-news%2Farchive%2F2008%2F05%2F12%2Fqantas-a380-cabin-photos-qantas-unveil-a-disappointing-a380-cabin.aspx)

Emirates
US$317.2-337.5 Million Luxury Flight - Airbus A380 - Airbus A380 - Zimbio (http://www.zimbio.com/Airbus+A380/articles/50/317+2+337+5+Million+Luxury+Flight+Airbus+A380)

cart hag
14th Aug 2008, 11:32
hi.. has anyone had any inside info or true gossip (haha) about our SH eba? what about the rumour that the casuals will become QCCA SH??

glorinetjet
27th Aug 2008, 07:48
How true !!!

peanut pusher
28th Aug 2008, 07:23
Heard a number of the Aus. Olympic team being interviewed yesterday.

One question went like this, "How was the flight back home and your reception"?

Answer went like this, "The flight was so quite, no alcohol and no entertainment, the planes movies was not working so we had to read or talk for 10 hours. The reception was overwhelming.

More good advertising for the joke thats is QF IFE.

Ha ha ha QF IFE takes it's 5 million plus unhappy pax count up by 250 more.

They just don't get it.

High Class Queen
28th Aug 2008, 12:58
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice about this matter. I am a current MAM flight attendant and have heard that Qantaslink are recruiting. I was wondering if I should make the jump from mainline to Qlink? I am very unsure what the conditions are and am tossing up whether to stay as a casual in shorthaul or to take the risk. I personally find the pay at MAM quite good-usually take home around $1800 a fortnight. I am wondering if this is the case in Qantaslink or is it a huge pay drop???? Full time would be great but I am trying to consider if I can afford my mortgage or not??? What about the progression back into mainline???? Does it ever happen???? Or do they only offer 10 or so positions every couple of years???? I really enjoy the flying in shorthaul and am happy to continue but am wondering since full time seems to always be out of reach for MAM if I should go via the back door???

cargoattendant
28th Aug 2008, 14:40
High Class,
QF Link will bring about a lesser salary than MAM.
MAM is a casual based salary. Do a search for QF link Wages on Wagenet or whatever it is nowadays. I'm pretty sure the base is about $28k.
Mostly day trips possibly 3-4 overnights a month, which isn't much at all. That is a generous amount. Don't expect to make more than $38k a year. You're better off trying for Virgin Blue where you can get a base of $40k and overnights on top. All up VB crew members earn up to $1200 a week. The EBA is changing though and they may soon be working longer and harder for less pay to match competitors. Seeing as crew have rejected one EBA already, if crew reject one more Virgin may apply to the IRC to have an IRC agreement put in place, which will be worse.
My advice, stay where you are until the new VB agreement is decided, if it still beats competitors as it does now, then go for VB.

browni 44
29th Aug 2008, 10:36
Hi cart hag, in the last crew voice on the 21st qcca was discussed regarding shorthaul and Alison Webster stated that qcca is definitely not coming into shorthaul. The idea was shot down pretty quickly so at this stage it looks like no qcca into shorthaul.

Madam Lash
29th Aug 2008, 23:59
High Class,
I am a QL FA and I am currently on approx $50,000 pa. My base salary is roughly $39,000 ish but we do have two wage increases per year (anniversary date and EBA). Take home pay varies from approximately $1,550 - $1,700 ish p/f (obviously depending on what you have done). Overnights range anywhere from 4-8 per month with the higher end of the scale being those who actively chase them as not everybody wants to do them. Monthly duty hours also appear to be around the 100-120 ish and you get 8 RDOs per roster. QL f/a are permanent and enjoy the benefits that go with it, i.e. staff travel, paid holidays, sick leave etc etc etc. If you are wanting to go back in to mainline through progression however you will need to bring your patience with you as you will have quite a lengthy wait. Currently it is anywhere from 4 years and up but you would be probably looking at 5-7 in the current climate and depending what your base preference is. Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

High Class Queen
31st Aug 2008, 03:13
Cargoattendant do you work for Virgin? I have considered Virgin but in the end the number of overnight's from what I hear kind of turned me off. With Virgin's new bidding system can you do say 6 overnights a month? Just wondering why you say that QLink is around 38K per year and Madam Lash is saying it is 50K per year? Is that for a first year flightattendant? Because it sounds like it is and maybe Madam Lash is speaking of once you have been at Qlink for a few years.

Madam Lash, I am also wondering if you are able to bid at QLink? If so can you bid for a particular day off per week if you have something to attend or are you just given a roster??? I generally get my days off working for MAM but it would be nice to have the benefits.

So career progression- with the wait and when they do offer it do they offer it for Brisbane or Sydney? Or are you always sent to Perth like they do with the MAM casuals???

Thanks to Cargo and Madam Lash for your posts, greatly appreciated.

Madam Lash
2nd Sep 2008, 22:50
High Class,
The pay I mentioned was for year 4. We don't bid for trips but we can request them. Our roster is monthly and we have 4 requests and you can request overnights/trips, days off, early or late finishes etc with two consecutive days off counting as 1 request. If you wanted to request for example, Wednesday & Thursday off each week for the whole month, that would be your four requests. As far as progression is concerned, the last couple of times have been Perth.:( To my knowledge it has never been and probably never will be Brisbane. About 4 years ago they had an intake for Sydney and Melbourne but it hasn't happened since.
Good luck with your decision High Class.:)

iwannaflyla
4th Sep 2008, 05:26
I am wondering if there is a way to advertise a room and ask for long haul cabin crew only? I want to share with like minded people who understand the job and who are away a bit like I will be.....

Is there a noticeboard for this sort of thing?

skylarker
4th Sep 2008, 07:36
There are many accomodation notices stuck on the window outside the luggage room at QCC,

call button
8th Sep 2008, 21:54
A union notice recently announced that LWOP would be offered to shorthaul cabin crew. I'm just wondering if we can now apply for LWOP, how long etc. Are applications now open, or are the company waiting until the completion of VR applications.

winnie1
10th Sep 2008, 03:56
Hey there High class,

If you are still deciding between MAM and QL i have a bit of info which may help you make your decision. I used to work for mam and finished up a the beginning of last year. As you know the wage is fairly good. I dont know how long you have been with mam for, but as i am sure you have heard, all the long haul flying, which had the best dta and hours went back to long haul when they started QCCA. When i started in 2005 and all through 2006 most of my pay packets were 2000- 2600 f/n . The problem is consistency!!! ( Although the variety was good!) Do you guys get any regional overnights now? Anyhow, I went to a Qantas Link interview at the end of last year and got the job, but didnt reply to the offer. I have since had countless emails asking me to other assessment days as my resume must still be on file. I was living in Newcastle at the time, at they were offering 29K starting wage plus allowances. this was not enough money considering the travel from newcastle , and i could not move as my husband had a great job and we had just bought a house. The thing is, i think that if you live near the base (and not 2 hours away like me!! ) It would be well worth it. Besides the fact that i was very impressed with the interviewers who were QL FA and management, i think the job security / benefits out weigh the money. Pay does seem to increase quickly from the table they showed me. Plus having a Full time job makes getting loans etc so much easier. The interviewers did inform me there is a lot of solo flying though, just you and the pilots. I think it would be fantastic though. I say go for it!:ok:

smartalec888
10th Sep 2008, 06:14
I'm exMAM now at link, and the pros out weigh the cons. I am taking home on average $1700/fn. There are alot of 'home' people here who don't like the overnights and are more than happy to swap for day trips. On average rosters are 28days with 4or5 o/n's. Staff travel after 6months, or straight away if your exMAM. Its a great place to start. I wouldn't expect much for career progression, atleast 4yrs.

simone511
14th Sep 2008, 07:42
Hi everyone,

I've been looking through the many airline careers websites, and have read on many about having to (and I might not get this 100% right, but..) lift/push a 28kg exit door/window.

I don't think I'm weak, but I'm only 50kg, so I just wanted to know from people who know, should I be feeling daunted or put off by this?!

Thanks, Simone