PDA

View Full Version : what is the best way to get a visit on SQ?

Jubilee777
6th Jan 2001, 23:12
hi everyone

i'm flying back from perth in feb, and was thinking of visiting the flight deck ... yes I know of SQ's no-visit policy but I've heard that upon clearance by SQ u can do so.. so.... can maybe any SQ guys give any tips on how I can get onto the deck? thankxs

BorneoPilot
7th Jan 2001, 09:43
I was on the Van-Seoul route on SQ and I asked them for a cockpit visit, at first the chief steward refused - no cockpit visit`s allowed - company policy. told him I am a student pilot and am interested in how they operate, after consulting with the captain, he came back and I was allowed to visit the flight deck! nice! A340-400!
thanks SQ.

try, Captain has the final say.

Lee
8th Jan 2001, 04:41
In a country where the name LEE is significant and where SQ pilots are trained to say "Hello Sir" to anyone looking Chinese , the chances of somebody with the name LEE and Chinese and even better to vist the flight deck.

boeinglover
9th Jan 2001, 05:20
Great, I would try my luck when I fly to Tokyo next weekend. I ahve heard that getting a cockipit visit pass would be safer and chances are higher. Still anyway, it's all up to the Captain's discretion.

Take Care.

Sunny
9th Jan 2001, 23:17
Greetings all,

At one point in time SQ didn't allow cockpit visits, but has decided to now leave it to the discretion of the Capt.
Jubilee777 if you want to take a look up front,
1: If you're at the gate early, (about 1 hour before departure), you could try introducing yourself to the crew and asking for permission to visit the flight deck. write a note with your name, seat and request,(just incase they forget).
2: If not pass the note to a steward/ stewardess and ask them if you could visit the flight deck. As soon as you get on board.
3: Smile :)

By the way Lee, I don't know where you got the idea that SQ pilots are trained that way.
And I'd like to meet the guy that gave you that impression.

Boeinglover, a cockpit visit pass would do the trick, but I don't think any of the crew have actually seen one yet. :)
Have a great trip.

Web-Footed Flyer
10th Jan 2001, 01:12
Sunny.

Lee is with SQ he should know and besides he states on another thread that There is no dicrimination at SQ :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

[This message has been edited by Web-Footed Flyer (edited 09 January 2001).]

Sunny
10th Jan 2001, 09:44
Yup, no discrimination and no preferential treatment at SQ. Exactly what I was trying to get across. Whether or not you get a jumpseat depends entirely upon the Captain.

The Prisoner
10th Jan 2001, 18:15
Lee : A Singaporean pilot will say "Hello Sir" to a fellow chinese pilot, as long as the pilot is:
1) more senior
2) a captain

If you happen to be none chinese, you'll be lucky if he gives you the time of day. This is not training, its indoctrination from birth.

I read a book at school called "Brave New World". Although there is nothing "Brave" about LKY's Singapore, this book could be what there lives are based upon. What a sorry situation.

Lee
10th Jan 2001, 21:08
To Web-footed Flyer: I'm not with SQ or Silkair. And I believe there's a lot of discrimination going on at SQ! Good try.

Sunny
11th Jan 2001, 09:13
Prisoner, I will agree that a very junior FO or a SO will greet everyboby he sees. But you can't generalise and say that every SQ pilot will call the Captains or more senior guys Sir.
Lee, if you're not with SQ or Silkair, then how did you come to the conclusion that there is discrimination in SQ?

Lee
11th Jan 2001, 12:34
Been talking to a lot of SQ girls and from reading all the posts at Pprune!

Must admit I love Gladiator and Titan's posts. They really got guts or balls bigger than 747-400 wheels!

Anyway, will a local SQ pilot say "Hello Sir" to a fellow Ang Moh pilot? See, told you that I'm not in SQ and Silkair, (I don't know the answers.) Cheers.

Sunny
11th Jan 2001, 13:15
I don't see why not. They are our colleagues and we've got no reason to ignore them or to be rude to them. But we're more likely to say Hello Captain ___ or just Good Afternoon etc. than hello Sir.

Gladiator
11th Jan 2001, 23:16
Sunny many times I would say, "good morning" to SQ Captains while at common areas in flight ops or at the airport. The majority would completely ignore the greeting.

This is not a put down but may be you want to hear it from the other side of the coin.

From an Ang Mo's point of view:

1) Good morning = No response
2) Good morning Sir = A possible grunt
3) Good morning Captain = Most likely a nod.
4) Good morning Captain XXX = Most likely the greeting acknowledged.

I still do not get it, why? I am fat in the green pasture now and I forgive all that....

I have to come back and edit this. May be it has to do with my middle east complection, and I was often mistaken for an Indian.

Now Sunny please at least admit that in Singapore the Chinese look down on the Indians. No malice intended towards the Chinese or Indians.

If you truly want Singapore and SQ to become ... then you should consider what we have to say. Consider it an exit interview.

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 11 January 2001).]

Sunny
12th Jan 2001, 04:33
What you say is true in some cases. But I can't answer for the Captains and I can never really say that I would truly understand the viewpoint of a non-local. If you greet them and they don't acknowledge ...well there's no point fussing about it. As for Indians or for that matter any other race, I for one don't look down on anybody. Most of the guys that I fly with do not, or at least do not appear to look down on anybody.

But if you and others have that view, then there must be something wrong. It could be a misunderstanding or cultural differences or even something I haven't noticed yet at work. Maybe someday it'll pop up and then I'll be able to see it for myself.

[This message has been edited by Sunny (edited 12 January 2001).]

Lee
12th Jan 2001, 06:21
The Singapore Chinese (I know this is a generalization, but there is some truth in what I am saying) look down on Indians, Filipinos and Malays.(but not necessarily in that order!)

You should see how Singapore Chinese salespersons think that all Filipinas working here in Singapore are Maids (domestic helpers). My friend who is an ang moh Captain and whose wife is a Filipina, and when they are shopping together, salespersons often tell him, "Ah, your maid ...." or "Is she your maid.." etc. Don't they (Singaporeans) know that there are Filipinas who were/are Presidents, Vice Presidents of the Philippines, Professors, Professionals, and even pilots too! Singaporeans (I am one, so I am not being biased here!).

Established !
12th Jan 2001, 18:01
You'll always find racist anywhere and everywhere. Look in PPrune!

Jubilee777
12th Jan 2001, 18:05
hey guys this is getting a bit out of hand.. i didnt really ask for a discussion on the racistness of singaporeans. so pls stick back to the thread?

Established !
12th Jan 2001, 18:15
My experience have shown that most Captains allow cocpit visits. However SQ does not encourage this and have stated so. So your best bet is to send a note to the Capt, as some cabin crew may choose to execice their 'authority' knowing the co. had a directive against visits when you ask them. The Capt. has final say.

FlyingCrew
13th Jan 2001, 07:00
To Established,
how low can you be? you are no Saint either. stop your comment and grow up.

Jubilee777
13th Jan 2001, 23:06
I've had several experiences where the cabin crew simply tell u 'No' without even asking the Captain... I've had to tell the F/A that I knew the Captain and asked her to relay the message. She 'lanlan' did so.

PILLOW
14th Jan 2001, 05:19
I have 'caught ' Gladiator lying on this site several time . He is a professional . So he need to be caught lying once to have his integrity questioned .

So it looks like he is playing his political game again and using his racist card .

Funny though how he thinks Singapore is a great place to live when he was here for almost 7 years .

So let us ignore him before we have a slinging match between the different races in Singapore

Established !
14th Jan 2001, 06:54
Flyingcrew.
You got to talk low to low or didn't yuo know that. So why don't save your comments for the real lowlifes or are your glasses tainted to.

PILLOW
15th Jan 2001, 08:38
Lee ...... Gladiator I presume . Very clever of you to masquerade as a chinese singaporean .

Gong Xi Fa Cai to you

[This message has been edited by PILLOW (edited 15 January 2001).]

boeinglover
15th Jan 2001, 18:41
Hi Sunny, I am flying off to Tokyo this week and question is would presenting my SPL to the crew before departure helps to get a chance to see the takeoff? Hope that it would be of some assistance.

Good Day.

[This message has been edited by boeinglover (edited 15 January 2001).]

Jubilee777
15th Jan 2001, 18:48
boeinglover

hope you are able to enlighten me on the subject when u return, and have a nice journey :-)

Sunny
16th Jan 2001, 04:30
If you wanted to visit the flight deck during cruise that would be up to the Capt, But in the not likely during the T/O or Landing as only crew and ticketed staff travellers are allowed to use the observer jump seats. Anyway get in early and try your luck.

Lee
16th Jan 2001, 05:06
Hello Pillow,

This is Lee over, I'm really Lee out. I don't think Gladiator is that low to impersonate a Singaporean Chinese! Cheers and Gong Xi Fai Chai to you too!

boeinglover
16th Jan 2001, 08:55
Hi Sunny, for your info I am using a privilage ticket for this trip. Hope lady luck is blessing on me. Anyway thanks for your feedback and I will remember the points you have brought up. Really appreciate it very much. Happy Flying!!

Jubilee777: I would feedback to you on this matter after my trip. Regards.

[This message has been edited by boeinglover (edited 16 January 2001).]

[This message has been edited by boeinglover (edited 17 January 2001).]

Gladiator
16th Jan 2001, 11:34
PILLOW you have been trying several times to gaud me into an argument.

Since I have the head of your bosses Maurice, Lenny, Tony and Tony on the wall as trophys, you are no longer worthy.

Unless you are one of the above, then different story.

PILLOW
17th Jan 2001, 19:28
Gladiator

After reading your posts , I sooner face the Grim Reaper than your wrath .

I am contented with supporting your cause by correcting your facts where it is wrong or omitted .

You can help by not using so many different identities .

Cheers

Gladiator
18th Jan 2001, 05:08
Different identities? Assumption.

I am done with SIA. Like I said before I have my trophy, FSI 00-14/744 TCC 712M proves it.

Your problem is you have nobody to keep you entertained on PPRuNe. At this point I could not care less what SIA does or does not do.
They ran but could not hide.

Neither do I care what you think, you are however still entitled to your opinion, good for you.

I am now too busy enjoying flying, enjoying lots of days off, enjoying my CPF and low cost of living here in the US, and last but not least still partying with SIA girls.

Yupi-ka-a

sia sniffer
18th Jan 2001, 21:32
And so it was said. Gladiator the slayer of the demon SIA , is vanquished. We'll all party on. For it has passed that the dearth of Singapore can no longer infect our hearts. For we are one, we are Legion. And let it be said that there can never be a place to hide for SIA. Their lies and betrayals are brandished for all to see. I, as well as my former colleagues, bath in the fallibility of their system. We laugh while they wonder, what is to laugh. We rejoice when they frown. We behold our honesty, while they cannot uphold faith.And above all, we are men to men, to cherish and honour,to fight together, for as long as we wish. And when each is done, they shall rest, contented and in harmony with what lies beyond. I wish you well Gladiator.

Strikie
18th Jan 2001, 22:42
Also if your family name is Goh... but seriously, if you want to visit the flight deck, just ask the F/A and if she/he is 'too junior' then go on up the ranks. (But of course if you are in business class or fisrt class, then it's a bit different). Nothing wentured nothing gained.

Pillow, you're not doing yourself any good by laying on Gladiator and whoever who criticises the system in SIA or Singapore. At least stick to the topic of the post...

Lee
21st Jan 2001, 13:53
Strikie,
You've got my Lee joke!

Sunny,
You need to open up! Cheers and keep that Hello Sir coming!

boeinglover
22nd Jan 2001, 20:45
Hi Sunny and Jubilee 777, I am back from my trip and guess what not only I get to see the flight deck during cruising but also stayed on and watch both landings in tokyo and back to Sin. Thanks to the cabin crew for passing the request and to the Capts for making all this possible.

Jubilee 777: Decision and permission still lies with the Capt for cockpit visits. Anyway, try your luck by asking, you never know perhaps you could get to watch the landings too.

The experience was indeed interesting and exciting especially when my inbound flight to Tokyo encountered bad weather enroute with strong turbulence along south china sea. Departed Singapore on VIRUT 1A departure and on airway G577 and R471

Take care and a Happy CNY to all forum readers.

Cheers.

Jubilee777
22nd Jan 2001, 21:09
BoeingLover,

Hope you enjoyed your trip. And thanks very much for the info :-)

boeinglover
23rd Jan 2001, 07:10
jubilee 777: You are welcome and do make sure to be early at the boarding gate like what Sunny had mentioned earlier.

Good Luck for your flight deck visit.

Sunny
23rd Jan 2001, 21:20
Hey BL, great to hear that you got your visit to the flight deck.

And Lee, I don't think I need to open up. You need to work on your sense of humor, and I'll show you where you can stuff your Hello Sir. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

boeinglover
25th Jan 2001, 20:05
Hi Sunny, oh yes the visits has been a fruitful one for sure. And further moltivates me to work hard and earn a good qualification and enhances my chances of getting that marvellous seat in an Airliner.

Flying in extreme bad weather can be pretty tricky and requires intense concentration.

Regards.

Lee
27th Jan 2001, 17:48
Sunny,

Gong Xi Fa Cai! I think you need to take it easy man! I can show you a better place to shove that "Hello Sir", (clue: it's somewhere at your 6 o'clock) Anyway, keep them "Hello Sirs coming okay?".

titan
29th Jan 2001, 03:53
sia sniffer:
I have taken on your last post as my official pledge. I am awed and endebted.
Let me strive to gain worthiness so that people will reflect and say "Titan, ah yes, he fought the good fight"
May we all be Davids in our quest.

Titan

PILLOW
30th Jan 2001, 08:22
gentlemen

There is no need to be so angry just because SIA thinks you are not suitable for command . Life goes on and you will get your command eventually .

Best wishes

Lee
31st Jan 2001, 21:50
Dear Mr Pillow,

BTW so did you get your command?

Lee
1st Feb 2001, 07:12
Dear Mr Pillow,

Maybe, I should ask you, Firstly, do you really have a flying licence, let alone a current one?

Let's not talk about the command postition yet.

PILLOW
3rd Feb 2001, 11:11
Most people who suffer a career setback dont throw a tantrum and tell the world their sorrow .

A better solution is to pick up the pieces and start again .

I think this thread has ran its course. Glad the request for a visit was successful.....

Sick Squid
Far East Forum moderator

[This message has been edited by Sick Squid (edited 03 February 2001).]