PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Theory Study - am I doing something wrong???

Oxeagle
16th May 2008, 19:38
Evening chaps,

Last week I enrolled upon module one of the ATPL Theory course with Bristol GS. I started the study this monday with the intention of doing the course full time (24 hours a week) as I feel it is an achievable figure, and it corresponds to the structure of the weeks on the Bristol CBT software. My plan was to do 4 hours a day for 6 days, so I should complete the weeks work on Saturday.

My study plan is as follows - look at the chapters for the week as specified in the training plan on the Bristol CBT and read through these chapters in the hard copies of the manuals, making notes on everything as I go as I find this helps me memorise information. Anything i'm initially not sure about I go over again until it makes sense. Once I have covered all of the chapters for the week I move on to the Bristol CBT software and go through the content for the week again, completing each of the mini tests after each chapter and complete the large progress tests as I encounter them. That concludes the week's study.

However, this first week it has taken me roughly only 15 hours to complete the above! I scored 75% in the General Navigation test (Nav was never my string point, but I realised I made a couple of stupid mistakes and lost the plot on two of the questions), and 91% in the HPL test - both passes. I found the Gen Nav test particularly useful as I identified an error in my method of drawing and interpreting the diagrams when calculating great circle final track direction, which would have given me an extra 15% in the test!

Anyway, what I would like is opinions as to whether I am doing something wrong with my study technique, what with me completing the weeks work in 15 hours as opposed to the allocated 24

Any comments would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Ox

BRS_flyer
16th May 2008, 20:02
Not sure on this one, try posting your question on Bristol's own forum, which can be a wealth of information:

http://www.atpforum.co.uk/

Leezyjet
16th May 2008, 20:14
:ok:I can't see anything wrong there at all.

All it is showing is that you are learning and understanding the subjects, so you are progressing quicker.

I'd say the time Bristol states is probably a recommended time for those who want to complete within a certain time scale and who are maybe doing it around work etc or for those who may struggle a little more than you are.

As long as you are understanding the subjects and passing the tests, then I don't see any problem with the amount of time it is taking. It could also be an indication that you might actually be enjoying it so are more engrossed in it than the average person.

I'd just take the recommendation with a pinch of salt as it is really just a guideline, and do as much or as little as you feel comfortable with, and if you have done that weeks allocation of work, simply carry on.

Good luck.

:ok:

EK4457
16th May 2008, 20:21
Everybody is different when it comes to study. Whatever works for you. It seems fine to me though. Dare I say, a little over the top. You will find that some subjects hardly require any reading, whilst others will be read again and again (and take much longer).

With the beniefit of having done them, I recommend you treat the course as two different phases.

Firstly, read the books (or CBT) and do the tests. Understand everything you come across. If you forget it 2 days later, dont worry. Just be able to say, 'I've read that and understood it. Kind of'.

Secondly, exam prep. Go and hammer the Bristol QB. You will find after a while that only a very small amount of the crap in the course is examined. Do the QB with the books at first and get a feel for the questions. You soon learn what the examiner wants you to know. When you are confident with these (no more than a week or two), go on the 2 week brush up. Does exactly what it says on the tin. This basically cuts the crap and gets you up to exam speed.

Then look forward to Mod 2.

Enjoy :E

EK

Adios
16th May 2008, 20:31
I don't think you can judge it on the first week. You'll probably find that it becomes more time consuming in a week or two. They may ramp up the pace a bit slow at first so students can adjust to the workload and study habits. If it remains this easy for you, you can always adjust the study plan yourself and finish quicker.

chrisbl
16th May 2008, 21:07
You will likely find a week or two where you will take more than planned.

It is the quality of study time you need to worry about not the quantity.

I suspect you had a good first week because the programme is designed to make you feel good in that first week.

You might find it gets tougher - if not reconcile yourself to being brilliant and capable of doing the studies with your eyes shut. Or it might be because the stuff is pretty straightforward which a 4 year old could do.

Rugbyears
17th May 2008, 09:45
If you are passing the regular progress tasks then you are obviously doing something right..!

....Be honest, you are so chuffed with yourself, the reason for your post is for you to blow you own trumpet...! Only jesting, I'm just envious.

:ok:

Oxeagle
19th May 2008, 10:00
Thanks for the reassurance chaps! :) I'll see how the next few weeks go!

Cheers,

Ox