PDA

View Full Version : Quicklaunch - Windows XP SP2 and IE6

BOAC
16th May 2008, 17:49
Here's an oddball for Friday evening. NB This started BEFORE AVG8 went in. Recent Windows 'security update' KB 950749 I recall.

IE in the Quicklaunch tray: Singleclick. All that happens is that IEXPLORE.EXE appears in the process list. (Singleclick should be enough to run programme from QL tray). Doubleclick actually does run 2 IE's. IE does NOT appear to shut down in the process table when it is closed - I can find up to 5 or 6 instances showing sometimes, which have to be terminated. Other progs in the QL tray run normally.

Any ideas?

Synthetic
16th May 2008, 22:15
Something you might try - right click on the IE icon and select 'properties'. Select the 'short cut' tab, and towards the bottom, 'run' check this is set to 'maximised'.

BOAC
16th May 2008, 22:17
Checked, synth, and ok, thank you. I have now uninstalled that update and all appears to be back to normal.

I see from Google that the update is causing problems with DAO and databases.

hurn
16th May 2008, 23:07
SP3 includes the update.;)

You know you want to. :ok:

Mr Grumps
17th May 2008, 05:26
I had the same problem with Outlook but the whole thing crashed with a complete hard drive wipe and reinstall before I could find out what caused it.
If you stopped the processes that were running then all seemed OK and you could start Outlook normally until you exited Outlook. It left a process running which was then stopped ad infinitum

BOAC
17th May 2008, 07:00
Hmm... just holding back a while on SP3, Hurn:)

I actually still have a 'not-quite-right' IE activation via Q launch, despite my 'excitement' yesterday evening. I have Googled everywhere and found nothing. Did you find anything, Mr G, concening your Outlook problem?

I am back to a 'normal' desktop doubleclick icon and that appears to be opening (and closing) ok so it looks like a glitch with Q Launch.

Mr Grumps
17th May 2008, 07:11
Unfortunately before I found the problem windows explorer took a dive and would only stay up for 17 seconds. I had to do a hard drive wipe and reinstall windows. Cured it though but a tad severe.

BOAC
17th May 2008, 07:36
Right!

I found that changing the run priority of IE has helped, and to avoid having to do this each time, I found prio.exe (http://www.prnwatch.com/download.html) which gives a lot more functionality that the basic Task Manager - and it is free for personal use. It enables process priority to be saved.

Added to the sticky at the top.

EDIT 2: It is all going so well............................. I might even risk reinstalling that security update.:eek:

Mr Grumps
17th May 2008, 14:17
Glad you seem to have it sorted out now and thanks for the software. Hope your computer stays OK.
BTW, I installed SP3 and my laptop is still functioning as it should. Yes I am touching wood as I type this.

BOAC
17th May 2008, 16:02
Encouraging news, Mr G! I see it now comes up on Windows Update. My No1 son and I are in a game of bluff/double bluff to see who installs first:)

My problems remain solved with prio.exe and the security patch in place. Browsing is faster too:ok: