PDA

View Full Version : Orient Thai

anito4a
3rd Jan 2001, 11:48
Anyone know much about this carrier? I saw their L1011 at Bali some years ago and now, I see a dilapidated Orient Thai fuel truck, aircraft stairs and bus at Chiang Mai Intl. Is this carrier still flying? Do they employ foreign (non-Thai) pilots?

JJflyer
3rd Jan 2001, 15:36
They are very much flying and employ foreign pilots. I think they required Previous jet experience and 100hrs in type for F/O and F/E.Capt requirments I do not remember.

JJ

411A
4th Jan 2001, 07:36
Do beware....one of the pilots that flew the Haj for him last year was not paid for his last 2 weeks. And, when we repossessed a TriStar from him in late 1999, the aircraft required $80,000 of parts and maintenance before the aircraft could be ferried to the USA. In addition, the Thai DGCA revoked his AOC earlier that year. At best, a rather dodgy operator.

Kaptin M
4th Jan 2001, 09:22
The aircraft is not in particularly good condition, but the guys who fly it [with the exception of one scab, who doesn't fit in with the rest of the crew] do their darndest to keep the operation running. The F/O I spoke to, had about 1,000 hours TT, and the skipper was relatively young [both Americans] - so you would probably have to assume that it is one way of gaining some "heavy" experience. The salary [non-payment thereof] DOES seem to be an occasional issue, but the cabin crew are a nice diversion.

Farside
4th Jan 2001, 09:34
Sounds like a real fun job with lots of MEL reading. Happy New Year to you all!!!!!

Farside
4th Jan 2001, 09:35
Sounds like a real fun job with lots of MEL reading. Happy New Year to you all!!!!!

Hotel Siera
7th Jan 2001, 00:24
did not know that they still fly

Flame Out
10th Jan 2001, 07:59
Still alive and kicking guys. We've been doing the daily Hong Kong - Bangkok runs for Angel Air since July.

Kaptin M, they are very nice aren't they? :)