PDA

View Full Version : “Flight Crews – your comfort zone may be narrowing”

Xeque
16th May 2008, 13:37
I’ve been bangin’ on recently about chopping First and Business Class because it’s old fashioned, outmoded and a complete waste of money. It’s not a new idea – the shipping companies that preceded today’s airlines knew it and adjusted accordingly as long ago as 1970. I’ve been championing the cause in several forums for the last couple of years.

The money is in One Class Travel and in giving passengers what they actually want and not what the bean counters think they can get away with.

Changes and exterior influences are affecting the industry now and these will surely impact directly on those of you who make your living in commercial aviation.

I have said many times before that the business models used by the low cost/no frills airlines contain the seeds of the re-evaluation that airlines must make and must make soon. Now consider this.

Tony Fernandes of Air AsiaX is in business today using A330-300’s with 396 one class seats in 3-4-3 x 31 inch seat pitch. His sights are set firmly on the Singapore/Australia and Singapore/Europe markets and he will succeed because there are enough young backpackers and world travellers who are willing to endure the discomfort of 7 to 11 hour sectors in his aircraft because it will cost significantly less than anything the other airlines charge.

More airlines will follow his example when they realize that the business model works.

My own ideas rely not on charging the cheapest fares but providing more comfort in a one-class environment.

I envisage a 38 inch seat pitch for every passenger – 276 pax in an A332, 316 in an A333. By my estimation fares London to Sydney via Dubai or Singapore (or both) will work out at about £170 more than the cheapest fare I could find on the Internet today (£702). Passengers pay the extra for the comfort and the opportunity to break their journey as many times as they wish with no fare penalties! So, you can choose to fly LHR/DUB/SNG/SYD or LHR/DUB/SYD or LHR/SNG/SYD with options to get off the aircraft after each sector and book into a hotel for a night or two if it suits you.

And before you flame me for suggesting that people might not be prepared to pay £170 more for a better deal then let me remind you that £170 represents about three tanks of petrol in the family car at today’s UK prices.

Flight crews? Don’t ‘poo-poo’ the idea. It’s already happening and one day you may find that working for the likes of Tony Fernandes, Stelios or (God help us) MOL, might be your only option.

Basil
16th May 2008, 13:51
I can see First diminishing but not Business.
If a manager is important enough to be sent around the world and go straight to a meeting then the least that a sensible employer can do is to pay for a sleeper seat so that their representative arrives in the best possible condition.

Tourist, VFR etc is a different matter and, for those groups then I think your proposal may work. Just needs an existing carrier to check it out. Bit risky for a start up - as we've seen.

Xeque
16th May 2008, 13:58
I should have added - let the charter companies provide the premium services for those whose employers and/or clients can afford it.

Skipness One Echo
16th May 2008, 14:36
Xeque, what's your background? Aviation professional? Business analyst? Marketeer?
Bottom line is if my firm wants me to go to a meeting miles away they pay for a business class service. It's how business works. Not sure where you get your stats to inform your opinioins but the view in London and the rest of the UK differs a little from the view in er.............Thailand.

nike
16th May 2008, 15:20
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9266/5099pi5.png

1.16 MYR = 0.36 USD

Xeque
16th May 2008, 15:45
Skipness One Echo

My background - old fashioned businessman. I really believe in a service industry where customer satisfaction is more important than maximising the bottom line of a spreadsheet at whatever cost.

And like I said - I'm not advocating taking away your flat bed but I do draw the line at economy class passengers having to subsidise it.

Nike

What's your point? The rise in fuel prices has done the same for just about every other airlines income curve.

Skipness One Echo
16th May 2008, 16:29
I really believe in a service industry where customer satisfaction is more important than maximising the bottom line of a spreadsheet at whatever cost.

Well as American showed People Express revenue management is a wee bit more sophisticated than you might want to believe. My customer satisfaction is sure as Hell not flying in economy if I'm going to present to a client miles away with no sleep.

brian_dromey
16th May 2008, 16:50
The product of which you speak sounds awfully like Premium Y (or EK J). Now, why would I choose a new one-class service on an airline where I earn bugger all miles for my trouble? I could instead fly (on my own, or the compaines dime) in Y+ or J or even F and earn some points to spend in my own free time.

As much as many spotters dont think so there are those amongst us who pay for J, even out of our own pocket, especially on long hauls. I know someone who you would imagine would never pay for J herself. As a present her family paid for her ticket in J to SYD. She hasn't flown in Y since. If I was going that far again, I'd be in J as well.

Brian.

PPRuNe Pop
16th May 2008, 18:09
We do not countenance ideas for running an airline. It is not the initiative of anyone here to 'decide' what is or is not good for an airline. The CEO will do that.

This forum is not for the use of fanciful business ideas or business plans and you should stick strictly to matters Airline, Airports and Routes.

This thread is now closed.

AA&R Mods