PDA

View Full Version : carriage of firearms

rep
16th May 2008, 12:30
howdy,

is there any other law besides CAR 143 in regards to firearms?

i seem to remember that the ammunition must be removed from the firearm, and placed in a seperate compartment from the compartment the gun is placed in?

also CAR 143 states that a firearm is aloud to be carried in RPT or charter aircraft, but I also remember CASA has to approve this? CAR 143 doesnt say that....

if anyone could help with some other references, that would be great!

cheers

PLovett
16th May 2008, 12:46
rep

Ammunition is allowed to be carried under the dangerous goods regulations. From memory, no more than 5kg per person and it is to be packaged in individual containers. In better phrasing the ammunition is to be packaged individually, like eggs in an egg carton, rather than collectively.

Firearms are allowed to be carried in locked containers and in baggage holds and not the cabin. I think the accepting officer has to ensure that no ammunition is carried with the firearm and the chamber is empty.

For the life of me I cannot recall the references to the above although it was only last year I flew a group of hunters back from their safari camp.

RatsoreA
16th May 2008, 15:09
rep,

I regularly carry firearms (I do trips up to QLD for hunting for people) and its a little more complicated than that.

You used to (Back in the good old days!) go to the local CASA office and they would write you an 'instrument' that would allow you to carry a firearms, with a number of clauses for the particular flight you wish to undertake. You had to nominate where you were going, when, and how long. This also used to be FREE... More on that later...

They have to be registered, the owners have to be licenced, they must be kept somewhere inaccessable in flight (and locked), in the unloaded condition, 5kgs of ammo per person, in manufacters original packaging, seperate from the firearms, the plane cannot be left un-attended whilst firearms are on board and stored with bolts and magazines removed. You must also carry a copy of the instrument with you at all times when exercising the use of it.

I used to just go pick one up the day before flying and that was that. But now, they charge you $180 to get one, it is a blanket approval for a maximum of two years and they need a weeks notice. I have one naming me as PIC for 2 years that I carry around in my flight bag.

You can just 'run the gaunlet' and hope no one walks up and demands a W&B check, but its not worth it as the penalties for carrying a firearm on anything other than a RPT without first obtaining permission from CASA skip the 'fines' stage and go straight to the 'don't drop the soap in the shower' stage.

They make the approval 'persuant to paragraph 3 of Civil Aviation Regulation 143

Hope it helps. If you want any more info, let me know!

Happy shooting/flying!!!

sms777
17th May 2008, 03:06
What sort of people are they hunting for?:}
Must be a lot of feral ones up in Qld

ForkTailedDrKiller
17th May 2008, 03:40
Back in the olden days, a Win 308 was a standard part of my working kit. I could walk across the GA tarmac at Isa with it tucked under my arm - and nobody batted an eyelid!

Mind you Isa is such a dead hole these days, comparatively, that probably nobody would notice anyway.

Dr :8

rep
17th May 2008, 03:54
thanks guys, but i need references

gonna get asked it in my cpl test ground brief >.<

Pinky the pilot
17th May 2008, 08:03
i seem to remember that the ammunition must be removed from the firearm

No-one else has mentioned it yet so I will. The only time ammunition should be in the firearm is when the firearm is going to be used for the purpose for which it is designed!!:= ie, you are about to shoot!

If Any clown handed me a firearm to place in an aircraft and I found that there was ammo in the magazine (and I would check for myself) the person concerned would be given very short shrift indeed!

FTDK, RatsoreA et al, You would,I am sure, be quite familiar with the old (and sadly only too true) saying amongst firearms owners,
''It is always the unloaded gun that kills!:sad:

RatsoreA
17th May 2008, 14:31
Maybe you should read what I wrote a little more carefully PtP... I would like to point out that I stated "IN THE UNLOADED CONDITION"...

As someone who uses a large variety of firearms in both my personal and professional life, I can state with absolute certainty that the phrase mentioned above is an 'industry standard' phrase, if you will, for a firearm without any ammo in it...

Before you go jumping down my throat, maybe you should read first, then comment!!! :hmm:

Rep, yes, 143 is it as far as references go for the carriage of firearms on aircraft, but there is somewhere else that states that you cannot discharge a firearm on a flight, but I can't think where... Good luck with the test!!!

PyroTek
17th May 2008, 14:33
What sort of people are they hunting for?:}
Must be a lot of feral ones up in Qld

Namely the Dr Killer... They are trying to get rid of him, he's a feral one.

Lasiorhinus
17th May 2008, 14:44
there is somewhere else that states that you cannot discharge a firearm on a flight, but I can't think where... Good luck with the test!!!

I'd hazard a guess that it goes for anywhere on a flight..

ForkTailedDrKiller
17th May 2008, 21:45
you cannot discharge a firearm on a flight

..... except when culling feral cattle, horses, buffalo, pigs, goats etc etc etc

Dr :8

PLovett
17th May 2008, 22:51
Or where a former Governor General and his wife used to go flying. He flew while she used the 12 gauge through the door (removed) on eagles that plagued their lambing paddocks.:ok:

19th May 2008, 14:15
CAR 143 only applies to Aerial Work or private operations, not charter or RPT.

"in , an aircraft other than an aircraft engaged in charter operations or regular public transport operations"

For Charter and RPT operations you need to look at the Aviation Transport Security Act 2004. Best of luck figuring who, when and how on can carry a firearm.

As far as I am concerned, a firearm without any ammunition loaded is just a piece of metal. Might hurt if you hit someone with it.