PDA

View Full Version : How many airports have you landed on, and which is the best airport?

Lee
6th Mar 2001, 08:14
Hi folks,

Care to give your opinions folks?

Flame Out
6th Mar 2001, 21:00
Easily over a hundred different airports (can't keep counts).

As far as the best, you'd have to be more specific; best terminal? Best approach? Best ground handling? Best....? The list goes on.

Lee
7th Mar 2001, 06:38
Flame out,

It doesn't matter, if you feel the old Kai Tak was the best approach, then vote it. Any category that fits your bill.

0.88M
7th Mar 2001, 08:14
Most exciting would be Kathmandu..
Like Everest nearby...some perished trying

CFIT
7th Mar 2001, 10:29
Short and narrow runway, surrounded by hills, water, and coconut trees. Along with tricky and turbulent crosswind which changes direction from all sides during approach down to touchdown( once you pass a certain point down the runway prior to touch down, the wind direction changes 180 degree because of the coconut trees along the side). I'd have to say Koh Samui (Samui Island) in southern Thailand. Thank god those days are long gone. Now it's just the straight-in ILS down the nice long 10,000 ft. runway. I hope you remember those days "Flame Out".

titan
9th Mar 2001, 06:00
HKG13 of course, just make sure you kept that nose going down through the turn. But why oh why did SIA feel it necessary to ban FOs from flying in there. Sorry to raise a sore point but most of the foreign FOs in SQ could fly rings around the local Captains. What about Perth at 0100 in summer? There certainly seemed to be a lack of locals on those particular flights.
Okay, so I am jealous that instead of going straight to a 747 at 200 hours to drink coffee I was forced to fly in and out of tracks in the Outback and muster sheep and cattle at 50'. And of course I am jealous that while my SIA counterpart was stalling at 39,000' I was still stall-turning at 500' and actually wasting my time learning how to really fly. But most of all I am jealous that I took the long road and actually learnt to really love flying and live it with a passion. Thankfully SIA got hold of me in time and beat all that out of me.

Flame Out
10th Mar 2001, 22:10
Best approach would be any long wide runway with calm wind and competent ATC who has no objection for me to go fast below 10,000 ft. I have way too much excitement in my life as is. I like the terminal at Changi, nice place to pass time if you are delayed. Zurich has the best crew check out, just walk out and say "Grunzi". As far as ground service goes it all depends.

Yes, CFIT, I do remember those days. Whew.

Now, as far as the worse goes... Well, another thread I suppose.

MegaTop744
15th Mar 2001, 01:35
Well, as a passenger and aviation enthusiast, I've landed at a fair few airports.

Best Approach: Kai Tak Runway 13 IGS

Best irport for enthusiasts: Kai Tak (I lived in HK for 14 years and spent lots of my free time here)

Best Terminal Building: Singapore Changi (I always transit here enroute HKG/LHR and LHR/HKG