PDA

View Full Version : NAIPS - how to use it?

18-Wheeler
16th May 2008, 05:39
I've just started back working in Aus after working overseas for nearly 12 years and this NAIPS thing is completely new to me.
It also makes little sense so far ....

Is there any video or easy-to-read instruction book for it?

Cap'n Arrr
16th May 2008, 05:42
Theres a help file in it.

Easiest way is to pay a visit to a local flying school, and get a free instructor or bored student to show you how it works. Most of them have it all figured out:ok:

18-Wheeler
16th May 2008, 05:44
The help file doesn't seem very good - I guess I'll have to pop down to a local flying school on the weekend then, ta.

Cap'n Arrr
16th May 2008, 05:49
Just to get you started, you need to log on first.

Then you can click on location briefing and type in the airports you want weather/notams for. Use the domestic flight notification button to file flightplans. Theres a lot more to it than that, but those are the only 2 features you really need to know how to use.

(Or you click on area briefing, pick your ARFOR area, and it gives you the Wx and notams for every airfield and restricted area available in the area:ok:)

AussieNick
16th May 2008, 06:00
the VFR day guide has a fair bit about it too

Jabawocky
16th May 2008, 06:14
18W

How are you mate!

I have the same trouble, if you miss one field or have a slight error it just rejects you and does not offer any resolution. It is not very intuitive and the help functions are next to useless.

I would use it more, but the time to fart around with it is usually more than the complete flight time.... so I phone them in.

I have made a few written suggestions to ASA and I hope one day it will get updated:hmm:

When you get the scoop.....let me know will ya!

Have to catch up one day for a coldie!

J:ok:

Islander Jock
16th May 2008, 07:25
AsA used to have a bound pamphlet with instructions and examples of how it all worked.

18W, Have you logged onto the AsA site and gone to pilot centre-pilot briefing-user documentation for pilot briefing?

Also do a search in the AsA site for NAIPS, it will list amongst other things a downloadable user manual for NAIPS for windows.

linedriva
17th May 2008, 04:47
So I guess NAIPS still stands for

Not Actually Intended to Provide Service.:ok:

T28D
17th May 2008, 04:52
Line Driva you got it right, it does work with the Flight Planning packages however, Champagne and others

ForkTailedDrKiller
17th May 2008, 05:09
I have always used a hybrid model!

I use NAIPS to get weather, notams and RAIMS stuff - and I use Champagne 3000 for flightplanning and to submit flight plans.

The latest version of Champagne will go get the weather and notams for you as well, but I have gotten used to doing it my way and its just a habit.

I have always found NAIPS to be reasonably intuitive, but obviously you need a login to get started.

Do yourself a favour - get Champagne Flightplanner - it takes all the hassle out of it.

Dr :8

18-Wheeler
17th May 2008, 05:17
Anyone got a link to some free flight planning software?
Parting with $400 just to submit a flight plan is ridiculous.

ForkTailedDrKiller
17th May 2008, 05:39
Parting with $400 just to submit a flight plan is ridiculous.

I figure that I have submitted at least 1500 flightplans with Champagne!

That's about 25c/plan!

18-Wheeler
17th May 2008, 05:44
Hmmmm ... reckon I'll just activate the company standard plans in that case.

CitationJet
17th May 2008, 06:04
What is NAIPS required for?????

I get all NOTAMs and weather directly off the ASA website and file flight plans the same way.

What extra would I get by downloading and installing the NAIPS software?

Mr Bomb
17th May 2008, 06:16
CJ,
I do exactly the same thing. If I can't get internet access then I simply phone in the plan. All too easy! For my purposes NAIPS gives me nothing extra.

ForkTailedDrKiller
17th May 2008, 06:23
I get all NOTAMs and weather directly off the ASA website and file flight plans the same way.

ASA = Australian Sonographers Association
ASA = Australian Society of Anaesthetists
ASA = Audiological Society of Australia
ASA = Australian Shipowners Association
ASA = Astronomical Society of Australia
ASA = Australian Shareholders' Association
ASA = Australian Songwriters Association
ASA = Australian Society of Archivists
ASA = Australasian Sleep Association

Oh, and I forgot ...

ASA = Australian Sheepshaggers Association (Thanks Pinky! :ok:)

Hmmm! I've not had much success with submitting a flightplan through the websites of any of these organisations.

Yeah, yeah, I know! I'm going! :E

lowlite
17th May 2008, 06:27
Hey 18w check your PMs.

Cheers.

Lasiorhinus
17th May 2008, 13:50
ASA = Australian Sheepshaggers Association (Thanks Pinky! :ok:)

Hmmm! I've not had much success with submitting a flightplan through the websites of any of these organisations.

Then you're doing it wrong, obviously :ok:

Click on the gumboots, then go to the velcro gloves link:E

18-Wheeler
17th May 2008, 14:37
Okay largely sorted now, thanks to one of the good blokes in the company.
:D

It seems relatively straightforward once it's all set up.

the wizard of auz
18th May 2008, 01:46
I use Command flight planner, and it does all the bumbling through NAIPS for you.
Far better option than stumbling around and then getting rejected when submitting the plan. Command goes off the NAIPs and gathers all the required info to install into your plan as you are planning, then formats the lot into something that the computer at the other end recognizes, then submits it for you........... as well as having the benefit of doing you W&B, fuel planning and logs, FIR boundary maps, Alt position maps, blah blah blah (all overlaid on the one map if required) and also has a airfield information and diagram section.
Beats the hell out of doing it all yourself.

18-Wheeler
18th May 2008, 14:07
Okay it runs just fine on my desktop computer, which has no printer.
I often take my laptop with me on trips for a bit of entertainment, so time to install NAIPS on it. Installs just fine but refuses to run because there's no printer.
FFS this thing is silly ...