11th Sep 2000, 18:22
Article of note: Seattle Times

Copyright © 2000 The Seattle Times Company

Local News : Friday, September 08, 2000

FAA declares Alaska supervisor falsified maintenance record

by Steve Miletich

Seattle Times staff reporter

The Federal Aviation Administration has found that an Alaska Airlines
supervisor falsified an aircraft-maintenance record in 1998.

The finding isn't related to the Jan. 31 crash of Alaska Flight 261. But it
marks the first time the FAA has upheld an allegation brought by a company
whistle-blower 16 months before the crash.

"The FAA's finding contradicts Alaska's longstanding claim that the
whistle-blower's allegations had no merit, and comes at a time when the
airline's maintenance practices are the subject of a federal criminal
investigation."

ironbutt57
11th Sep 2000, 22:21
It proves Glad now works in a democracy..where people can still speak their mind, and occasionally the truth prevails...don't think you'll ever see this occurring in an asian country.....

titan
12th Sep 2000, 02:50
Hail the Democracy!

The difference betwen Alaskan and SIA is that at SIA the breaking of rules has become institutionalised.

"to hell with the rules, lets just make a bigger profit"

casual observer
12th Sep 2000, 16:26
The question here is why it took a crash before FAA acted on the whistle-blower's allegations. Democracy or not, Alaska did it to maximize their profits, and FAA failed to properly monitor Alaska for compliance.

ITI_IKA
12th Sep 2000, 17:46
looks like Gladiator's jumped out of the frying pan into the fire. www.webpac.net/~skydream. (http://www.webpac.net/~skydream.) ALASKA 506

asianpilot
13th Sep 2000, 08:40
Ironbutt, there is one big difference in Asia though. When an organisation is caught in the wrong, the head will take the responsibility. In your democracy, i.e. the mighty U.S.of A, no one takes any responsibility. It is always someone else' fault.

Kaptin M
13th Sep 2000, 11:42
Not quite correct, asianpilot. Generally, the blame [in S.E. Asian countries] is shifted away from the "head" to a lesser minion [and usually ONLY one].....as long as a head - any head - is seen to roll, face is [thought] to be saved and justice done, even though the majority are aware where the real blame lies.

In western culture, it is generally accepted that if there has been a "fiddle" going on, chances are [more than likely] that more than one person is involved, and as such several heads usually end up getting the chop.

noodles
13th Sep 2000, 12:59
asianpilot,
Beware sweeping statements such as "no one takes responsibility...".

Is this 100% true everytime? If not, your argument is dissolved.

Did the CEO resign when the company found out one of its staff had embezzled tens of millions of dollars or did the head of Silkair resign when his organisations plane crashed?

Kaptin, I tend to agree with your observation. It centres around the issue of accountability. Empower staff and the 'head' shouldn't need to roll.

Does SIA empower its staff? Or does communication filter through many management layers? How much trust does SIA give its staff?

Gladiator
14th Sep 2000, 02:15
Is that your best?

The people of SIA trying to rub the issues of a certain air carrier into Gladiator's face. I fail to see the connection.

However SIA's operation continues to short change the fare paying passengers of minimum international safety standards.

Nice try though, try again.

Kaptin M
14th Sep 2000, 03:09
Ohhh, I see - so Glad, your crusade to bring "minimum international safety standards" issues to the fore, applies only to Singapore Airlines, your past employer, and not to Alaskan, your present.

Surely the issues raised re Alaska Air, in this and previous posts, should be sufficient to have you resigning, and taking legal action against them for representing themselves as a safe operator, and luring you - with ALL your experience - to work for them.

You haven't just been bs'ing us all along, about your high levels of integrity........have you ?

titan
14th Sep 2000, 04:22
The very nature of any Authoritarian system, with which Asia is littered, is that the System can never be wrong, and that a scape goat must be found. Authoritarian systems survive on corruption, thereby perpetuating the power base of the heirarchy. The higher up the chain of command the greater the influence that can be wielded and therefore the lesser the chance of taking responsibility. In these systems it is the people at the bottom of the structure that take the fall - the little people.
With all that has gone on at SIA, I note that the upper Management has not changed. They are preserving their power base.
Two questions to ponder:
1 - How much money has Maurice DeVaz made from the CRM course?
2 - How much money has Len McCully made from the Lear Jets?

In a democracy we are free to ask such questions.

Gladiator
14th Sep 2000, 06:30
Kaptin M you are acting like a child again.

If and when, if ever I decide my present employer is not meeting safety standards, be sure you will be the first to hear about it.

Do not even attempt to compare the two. It would be like comparing a 'rickshaw'(SIA) to a 'Ferrari 328'.

You along with the SAKKA squad of Ku-Lees are so desperate.

Nice try, try again next time.

1-stripper
14th Sep 2000, 06:51
Dear Mr. Gladiator, sir:

First of all, I don't work for SIA. I don't believe SIA has any pilot wear 1-stripe on his uniform. Secondly, I am only assisting you in gathering info related to Alaska's violation, just in case one day, you DECIDE your employer is not meeting safety standards. Thirdly, based on your second sentence, Alsaka is a safe airlines, even though FAA doesn't believe so. Hence, you safety standard is below the FAA standard.

Thank you for your attention, Mr. Gladiator, sir. I will not engage in any further conversation with you. I wish you success in all your future endeavors.

1-Stripper

P.S. Any type of discrimination is a federal offence in the US of A.

[This message has been edited by 1-stripper (edited 14 September 2000).]

Sunny
14th Sep 2000, 07:00
Hey Titan,
your statement that "the higher up the chain of command the greater the influence that can be wielded and therefore the lesser chance of taking responsibility" reminds me of a few well publicised events. Bill Clinton and Monica, Nixon and Watergate. Well looks like they too managed to survive. So how corrupt are they? So much for democracy. If you're so free to ask questions, then who killed JFK? Looks like democracy and free speech don't work as well as they should. Gladiator, if you're going to make such claims that SIA is short changing passengers of international safety standards, then why don't you talk to the relevant authorities, the media etc, and get them to fix it. No point bitching about it here. Get it out of the way, then maybe we all can get on to other topics of discussion.

Kaptin M
14th Sep 2000, 08:29
Nothing childish there, Glad. The fact that Alaska Airlines has twice in the past 6 months or so, been hauled over the coals by the FAA, and SQ has not, belies your calls of foul!

Unless you follow through and pull the pin on Alaskan, you have now been well and truly defeated in this public arena.

As we have all come to see over the past several months, humility is NOT one of your attributes, and so - no doubt at all - you'll rant and rave about many and varied spurious topics....

...but when it came to the core issue of why you absconded from Singapore Airlines, it wasn't really a safety issue at all, as these incidents with your current employer have proven. It was a convenient front, to try to give you an out for not honouring your word, and forking out the bond.

That's TWO defeats, Glad...one in the court room, and another on this forum!!

YOU'RE OUT !!

Gladiator
14th Sep 2000, 09:19
Kaptin M for the 20th time,

Singapore Employment Law

11. Termination of contract without notice.

(2) Either party to a contract of service may terminate such contract of service without notice in the event of any wilful breach by the other party of a condition of the contract of service.

I can understand you are having a hard time being sour grapes. Get on your rickshaw and come to term with and accept the above paragraph.

1-Stripper CAKAP COTEX lah.

asianpilot
14th Sep 2000, 09:29
Gladiator,
What Kaptin M said is very true. If you want to be CREDIBLE, you have to be CONSISTENT. You cannot apply double standards to further your cause. The SAKKAS and the KuLees want to look up to you but so far you have done nothing to be praiseworthy. Snap out of your cowardice and stand up to your principles that safety is your paramount concern. Tell us and show us you are against Alaska Airlines' unsafe practice. If you do that, you will still be IN. If not, as KM puts it, you are OUT.

I see you have changed your story from SQ being an unsafe airline to quoting the Singapore Employment Act. This is what we call a "putar belit" tactic.

Edited for omission-ap

[This message has been edited by asianpilot (edited 14 September 2000).]

[This message has been edited by asianpilot (edited 14 September 2000).]

1-stripper
14th Sep 2000, 17:55
Can someone explain to me what "CAKAP COTEX lah" means? Thanks!

ironbutt57
14th Sep 2000, 22:01
my my my how good does it get.. asian pile-it and kaptin m on the the same thread where you been asian pile-it? thought er hoped you were gone oh well can't have everything...anyway..see you are still unable to face the truth...yess the FAA apparently dropped the ball and innocent lives were lost..but it's public knowledge as to how and why don't think that will be the case WHEN SQ stoves one in..that big old alcatraz for a country you live in will go into major lockdown...people will "retire" with fatter pockets and blame laid everywhere except where it belongs...glad to see you back asian pile-it

Whiskery
15th Sep 2000, 07:09
Ah.....Gladys,it gets hot in the desert this time of the year habibi! Maybe it will cool down soon.......enshalla.

SPG LSS
15th Sep 2000, 09:57
What's going on in front in cockpit? Who to trust Gladiator or the opposition?Tokyo LA sector went to cockpit captain no were to be seen.Two first officers said captain is sleep in bunk.What's going on,is the captain suppose to be in bunk or not?The word around is he's not suppose to.

[This message has been edited by SPG LSS (edited 15 September 2000).]

asianpilot
15th Sep 2000, 10:30
Hello Ironbutt-ock, thanks for the welcome. My pc crashed big time. It took ages and lots of dough for the shop to fix the damn thing. Should have got a new set instead.

Well, we will just have to wait for the major lockdown and see who takes the blame then. No point in speculating. Do you know if it was a missile or a fuel tank explosion that brought down the TWA flight?

Hello SPG LSS, err Mrs. Gladiator. How are the girls doing? Is he treating you OK? You should do something about him using you as a cover for posting messages.

[This message has been edited by asianpilot (edited 15 September 2000).]

Kaptin M
15th Sep 2000, 11:30
SPG LSS [Sarong Party Girl Leading Stewardess] for the uninitiated - the late Gladiator, re-incarnated as his subconcious mind reveals his ernst desire, a female, and a Singaporean one at that. Anyway, Gladys, we'll play along.

The late Gladiator's only foe was TRUTH, and it was on his own sword that he perished, by extolling his own perceived values to all and sundry.

Vale Gladiator http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Arise SPG LSS.

[This message has been edited by Kaptin M (edited 15 September 2000).]

asianpilot
15th Sep 2000, 12:51
Gladiator's wife was an LSS flying for SQ. I hope she hits him with a handbag for calling her a Sarong Party Girl, a deragatory term for a local girl going with a Westerner.

Looks like Mr. Putar Belit is trying to change the topic.

Truth Seekers Int'nl
15th Sep 2000, 14:15
Gladitraitor not married, can have many wives but prefers not to. Wives to expensive, much better pay solicitor to play with SQ in court. Not sure now if safety or contract is more important,what whiskery say,"very very hot in desert now".very very hot actually.

asianpilot
15th Sep 2000, 16:06
Gladiator really no married ah? Last time Gladiator got married. I know who he married,Malaysian Chinese girl, father no happy so got to "Kahwin Kowboy" la. Not only desert very hot, Gladiator "chui tat lan", no can speak already. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif

:) :)

Rockhound
15th Sep 2000, 17:07
1-stripper,
Maybe it's some kind of female sanitary product?? If you (like me) don't know, you (like me) won't have a clue what the subsequent postings are about (do you???)
Maybe PPrune Towers will step in and administer a merciful coup-de-grace to this thread.
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif Rockhound

asianpilot
15th Sep 2000, 17:50
Hi Rockhound,
If you have been following Pprune, you must have known that we were "banished" to the Far East forum. The coup-de-grace has already been done so there is no need for another one. If you don't have a clue, just ask. If you still don't know, please stick to those you are familiar with.

So as not to aggravate you further, let me explain some of the local terms used.

cakap kotek ( not cotex )means talk c**k,
sakka means a brown-noser
Kulee or coolie
putar belit- twist and turn
kahwin Kowboy- elope
chui tat lan- lost for words.

:bounce:

Gladiator
15th Sep 2000, 18:30
The attack of killer Singaporeans. Have your fun lads since it is free.

You forgot to mention my other self, the other cabin crew(s), Singapore girl.

SPGLSS my favorite aircraft was 9V-SPG.

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 15 September 2000).]

asianpilot
15th Sep 2000, 19:08
Gladiator, don't b.s., SPG LSS is none other than you trying to divert attention.

What is the name of the SAFE airline you are working for? RTFLOL. Dare not comment,issit? Scared kena sack right? You call people all kind of names, SAKKAS, KuLees, sour grapes, rickshaw rider. What about you? Anything is better than you being "Bo Lam Par" right?

Cakap Kotek, nobody is having fun here. Everybody is pissed off with you being a two-faced coward who won't stand up for your principles. You are a real disgrace to the pilot fraternity la! Phui! Bo Lam Par.

Gladiator
16th Sep 2000, 20:51
Hey Jimmy,

Reality check,

Witnesses, video tapes, pictures, copy of a letter SIA thinks does not exist.

A Few Good Men
17th Sep 2000, 16:58
You stink at golf asianpilot.

Singapore Girl
18th Sep 2000, 06:37
It seems every thread involving Gladiator turns invariably becomes a mud-slinging contest. Is it that what must not be cannot be for most SIA employees and Singaporeans? If Gladiator has one or more points, then the proper reaction would be to fix things, not to shoot the messenger, lah!

Gladiator: I checked the rest pattern of crew on a recent flight to LAX, but perhaps as a result of your campaign, no violation noted.

Rockhound
18th Sep 2000, 19:57
Thanks for the glossary, AP, but I still have no idea what you guys are talking about. Perhaps that's just as well. I was mildly curious and when 1-stripper asked for clarification, I couldn't resist submitting my $0.02. I shouldn't have intruded in what is obviously a personal give-and-take among a particular group of the in-crowd. Happy landings!
Rockhound

Gladiator
18th Sep 2000, 19:57
Singapore Girl keep up the good work. Keep monitoring the situation.

They are going to say that Gladiator and Singapore Girl are the same. I do not think I will fit in your kabaya. Do you know SPGLSS?

Send me an e-mail next time if you are in LAX, SFO, YVR. [email protected]

EasyGo-Lucky?
19th Sep 2000, 06:40
Looks as though some have not heeded the SIN governments call to speak better english.

Is there anyone you don't have a derogatory name for there in the Lying City? And you wonder why people leave SIN, workers and tourists alike, with a bad taste in their mouths, and its not from the food either.

[This message has been edited by EasyGo-Lucky? (edited 19 September 2000).]

[This message has been edited by EasyGo-Lucky? (edited 19 September 2000).]

The Prisoner
19th Sep 2000, 20:42
I think the term SPG was coined by the Chinese male to put off the little local gals from experiencing the superior size of the western member.Oh yeah, those were the days my friend, tighter than tight ( Money that is, I did work in Singapore!!)

hailstone
21st Sep 2000, 14:58
1-flyer

cakap means 'talk' and cotex is a local brand of women's sanitary napkins - could mean 'talk rubbish'

boeinglover
23rd Sep 2000, 05:50
Hi 1-stripper,
For your info, actually there is a one strip rank for pilots. They are the ones undergoing line-training on the fleet that they are posted to. Although they have went through all the required training sysllabus but they are not yet fully qualified. They can be undergoing route training etc etc.

Cheers,

titan
23rd Sep 2000, 07:22
One stripers are called Second Officers.
4 = Captain
3 = Senior FO
2 = FO
1 = 2nd Officer
0 = "lowest form of life" = Cadet pilot

Kaptin M
23rd Sep 2000, 14:27
Titan, we were talking about strippers here.....why introduce something as mundane as P1, P2, P3, etc....let's stick to the track - the dirt one!! :)

ironbutt57
24th Sep 2000, 03:15
kaptin m....do you know the definition of facts? you sound like an '89-er

Al Salil
25th Sep 2000, 03:05
Reading threads dealing with SQ, most of us could be forgiven to believe that Singaporeans have no sense of humour. But here is at least one good soul in Fried Rice Paradise who knows how to keep Harry Lee smiling!
http://www.angelfire.com/biz6/airen117