PDA

View Full Version : Trying to reduce the cost of converting from ICAO licence

africaflybynight
16th May 2008, 01:45
A bit of a cross forum question, and long winded, but hopefully somebody can help,

Hopefully towards the end of the end of this year I'll have a full SA ICAO ATPL, 2000hrs+ with a few hundred hours on the 1900D.

As far as I can ascertain, to convert to a (frozen) JAA licence I need to
-Obtain Class 1 medical
-Complete 14 subjects through a recognised training institution
-undergo a COM skills test
-15hrs IF training + test
All in all very expensive, even before MCC, JOC etc (although would be more than happy to go to larger a turbo prop)

I've read elsewhere that some airlines may consider employing relatively experienced pilots with just the medical and the exams completed as you can use the hours from any subsequent type rating course with the airline to complete the license, rather than paying a flight school.
Is there any truth in this, and if yes, what would the chances of somebody with my experience getting hired in this manner?

Any responses positive or negative appreciated!

Shunter
16th May 2008, 06:29
You seem to have the required hours, meaning the news is better than you may think. There is no training required, just the 14 exams and the ATPL skills test (taken in something you're typed for). Obviously you need a radio license and a medical, but they're not a big deal.

The 15hrs training for IR conversion does not seem to be applicable once you've got your ATPL.

africaflybynight
16th May 2008, 07:08
The 1900 I fly is certified two crew ops, SOP for two crew and under SACAA airline regs. Would the UKCAA accept this for the 500hrs multi crew (I've got all the documentation to prove it's operated in this manner)?

Shunter
16th May 2008, 07:43
I'm fairly sure the CAA accept multi-crew hours on a 1900 as it's a JAR-23 aircraft. Whilst technically not multi-pilot, hours flown on it under multi-crew SOPs are valid for multi-crew hours. Also, if you have 500+ multi-crew you probably don't need to do an MCC course.

redsnail
16th May 2008, 10:55
G'day Africabynight.

I was in a similar position to you and my time was on Bandierantes and Twin Otters. Both are JAR 23 not JAR 25. For your license conversion, you won't be able to use the B1900 as it is considered to be a single pilot aircraft. See JAA (http://www.jaa.nl/licensing/typeratings/aeroplanes.html).

To be awarded an exemption from the MCC, you'll need a letter from your employer validating your hours and operations. You should also get a copy of the regulations so you can quote it to the UK CAA as well.

Unfortunately, while your hours are good, they aren't fabulous with respect to jet & larger turboprop operators and so forth so to expect a hand financially is a pipe dream. Although, never say never, contact airlines such as Air Southwest and see what they say. However, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

However, what you can do once you have 500 hours on the Beech 1900 is by-pass the IR and COM flying and go straight onto a JAR 25 type rating with the LST observed by a CAA examiner. This way you're awarded a JAA ATPL straight away. Review LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1591) as well.

Yes, it is frustrating and annoying.

africaflybynight
16th May 2008, 11:56
Thanks Redsnail,

That's pretty useful info. It's amazing how hard it is not to bankrupt yourself (especially with a young family to look after) to convert a licence for a job you have done for a number of years!
Frustrating and annoying sums it up nicely!

AlternativeProcedure
18th May 2008, 15:22
africaflybynight,

Is your SA B1900 type rating a P1 type rating or Co-pilot rating?

AP

africaflybynight
19th May 2008, 07:22
It's a P1 type rating

lowspeedaluminium
19th May 2008, 18:59
africa - check your pm's

AlternativeProcedure
20th May 2008, 13:40
Ok thats fine. I raised the point because there's a part of lasors which says that an ICAO co-pilot type rating can oly be converted to a JAA type once the applicant has done training at the discretion of the head of training of a TRTO and then do the LST after that training. But that little part doesnt apply to you since yours is a P1 rating.