PDA

View Full Version : Swordfish W5856

The Flying Stool
15th May 2008, 22:15
Could anyone tell me what is the current status of the Royal Navy Historic Flight Swordfish W5856?

It was flying until the late 1990's but nothing has been heard of it since then. I'm already aware that the RNHF's other Swordfish LS326 has been under restoration and is nearing completion and i'm also aware that the RNHF also have a third swordfish on long term rebuild. I'm curious as to why so little has been heard about W5856 and what the RNHF's plans are for it? It seems strange that not that long ago, they had two Swordfishes flying and suddenly went down to none.

Anyone know anything?

Thanks

treadigraph
16th May 2008, 06:30
Has been quiet hasn't it...?

Bit of Googling elicited this:

Sadly during early 2004, corrosion was identified in W5856's wing spars. This has enforced it to be grounded until the problem can be addressed and fixed.

It therefore seems likely that W5856 will be off the circuit during the 2005 airshow season.

Presumably addressing it is taking rather longer than hoped - I assume they are concentrating on LS326.

smuff2000
16th May 2008, 09:43
If you look at this months "Aeroplane" you will see that she has just be re-painted for the new season.

Phileas Fogg
16th May 2008, 11:44
W5856 has been on maternity leave :)

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/9/2/3/1015329.jpg

Mick Strigg
23rd Apr 2014, 13:41
It will be flying again this year and rededicated in Leeds in September

joy ride
23rd Apr 2014, 15:01
I remember reading in Aeroplane a few years back about the huge problems the FAA had returning a Swordfish to the air. IIRC, one delay was getting piston rings specially made by Wellworthy of Lymington, Hants. I believe this company has now gone, which could make it an even greater problem.

My dad flew in quite a number of planes during his time in FAA as a trainee Observer/Navigator, but the Swordfish remained his favourite, but this might have been partly because his pilot was notoriously ill-disciplined and always ready for fun and games, until he was finally "released". It was felt that he, Laurence Olivier, would do more for the war effort by making patriotic films than by bending valuable planes.

Mick Strigg
1st May 2014, 09:08
Great story JR. I never knew about Olivier's time in the FAA. It's a shame Wikipedia says that he joined the Royal Air Force!

chevvron
1st May 2014, 09:30
When the RAF still had an Officers Mess at Farnborough, the 'big' event of the year was the annual Taranto Night dinner, for which an RNHF Swordfish was often flown in then towed onto the Officers Mess lawn.
One year, after the dinner, instead of flying back to Yeovilton next day, it was pushed into 'A' shed. A few days later and it emerged with a 'new' set of wings which had been prepared by one of the RAE workshops. Whether they had been constructed from scratch or were just 'spares' which had been re-covered in new fabric I don't know., but I remember walking past the workshop one day prior to this and glancing in the window; the scene was just like it was the 1920's with women sewing fabric onto wings!!

Wander00
1st May 2014, 09:48
Olivier was a FAA pilot at Worthy Down, one of a few bases to have been used in turn by all three services. When I did my CIMA accountancy course there in the 80s we had some epic tri-service Taranto Dinners.

chevvron
1st May 2014, 10:10
Then there was the time both Swordfish appeared at the Biggin Hill Air Fair. Afterwards, one was to return to Yeovilton and the other was scheduled for a display at Shawbury.
The one returning to Yeovilton called me on Farnborough LARS and said he had a 'bit of a problem'. After he'd got airborne, he was told the other one had gone U/S and could he do the display at Shawbury, the problem being he hadn't got a map for the midlands, only maps for the route to Yeovilton. We had a chart showing range and bearing for most airfields from Farnborough, so fortunately I was able to start him off in the right general direction before explaining the situation to and handing him over to Brize Radar.

TCAS FAN
1st May 2014, 11:46
Reminds me of one of the funniest experiences of my career. Working with another ATCO my colleague received a freecall from "Navy Swordfish" who proceeded to give details and a request for zone transit. This was duly given, followed by in, her smooth Scottish accent, "Navy Swordfish request your type of aircraft".

Myself and our ATSA immediately convulsed in fits of laughter, fortunately traffic was light, as we took some considerable time to compose ourselves. Our colleague did not speak to us (outside the ops room) for days!

treadigraph
1st May 2014, 12:08
I did think they had three on their books at one stage - there was one preserved at Lee-on-Solent in the late 1970s, did that not join the flight as potentially airworthy too?