PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Calligraphy

DreamCatcher
10th Sep 2000, 20:34
If anyone can interpret the following:
http://users.breathemail.net/johnallison/sikkim4.jpg

I would be very obliged.

University language departments around the world are stumped, or can't be bothered to reply.

The inscription is on a brass sealing wax stamp given to my father by the King of Sikkim circa 1940. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

------------------
PistonBroke

matelot
12th Sep 2000, 10:56
It looks like classical Chinese - but somebody out there must have an idea.

------------------
When I was on motor patrol...

smith
12th Sep 2000, 21:25
Can't read! The picture is too dark. Send me the real thing and I'll try to tell you what it says.

DreamCatcher
12th Sep 2000, 21:35
If that picture is too dark for a pilot... either stop flying, get your eyes tested, or turn up the brilliance/contrast on your monitor :-)

------------------
PistonBroke

smith
13th Sep 2000, 06:26
Wet Dream Catcher,
Thanks for insulting me.

matelot
13th Sep 2000, 11:32
Seems to me you bit, smith. He/she did put a smiley at the end. I had a look and it's clear as a bell ;-)

------------------
Me, sweat? I'm that cool, it's condensation.

[This message has been edited by matelot (edited 13 September 2000).]

[This message has been edited by matelot (edited 13 September 2000).]

DreamCatcher
13th Sep 2000, 21:44
Thank you Clara!!!

------------------
PistonBroke

smith
14th Sep 2000, 18:05
Dream Catcher:

LOL! Even if I have better eyes I can't read it anyway! But I do know people who can read it and one of them already told me what it means. LOL! Anyway, I wish you what it says on the stamp!

DreamCatcher
14th Sep 2000, 20:46
smithy

I don't profess to know everything in the world, but I'm getting pretty close! (Got to blow your own trumpet 'cos nobody else will).

I accede to your advantage: pray tell the definition of LOL. As for the stamp, just luuurve rabbit! (And the associated jewels). Yes?

PS - If it WAS too dark to read, how did you know enough to converse with others who DID know? :-)

------------------
PistonBroke

[This message has been edited by DreamCatcher (edited 14 September 2000).]

smith
14th Sep 2000, 22:59
Dream Catcher:

I was only "Laughing Out Loud" = LOL.
As to how I conversed with the old wise man, that's simple. I e-mailed the guy your url and asked him to view it. Obviously, it wasn't too dark for him.

Anyway, I still wish you what it says on the stamp.

DreamCatcher
15th Sep 2000, 01:07
Smudger

Thanks for the 'LOL'.

As for your wishes, as apparently no one else knows what it means - although I now do - you'll just have to revel in it yourself :-)

All the same, appreciate the interchange!

------------------
PistonBroke

smith
15th Sep 2000, 03:33
You do? How did you do that? So, what does it mean? Let's see if we have the same answer.

airwave
15th Sep 2000, 06:19
It says:
"Join not a website forum shouldst thine skin be unthick. Be not triggerhappy with your mouseclick lest you may endure the wrath of your portal brethren. And have a nice day"

------------------
I can see your house from here...

matelot
15th Sep 2000, 11:18
smith

You've got people going here! Owner of the local Chinese restaurant reckons it's something like Jade Rabbit (whatever that means! (Year of the Rabbit?))

So if you've got something hilarious on the dream catcher, let's hear it. If he's got a reasonable interpretation (100% likely), he's no need to broadcast it on this forum.

Go, go, go - let's hear it.

------------------

DreamCatcher
17th Sep 2000, 11:00
smith? You know I have a reliable interpretation. I think your 'wise men' were winding you up.

Thanks, sailor: close enough without knowing context ;-)

------------------
PistonBroke

smith
18th Sep 2000, 00:45
Sorry that I didn't reply to you earlier,I didn't mean to keep you folks in suspense. I just got back from a trip.

The Chinese restaurant owner didn't get it right. He must thinking of cooking rabbit meat when he looked at the stamp (rabbit meat taste awful btw). My wise man actually studied Chinese calligraphy and he is 100% sure that it is not jade rabbit.

The answer is ...................

Ping An

matelot
18th Sep 2000, 11:08
Are we actually considering Chinese? Or Cantonese, or Mandarin, or Sikkimese, or Tai, or Tibetan? Or some other ancient dialect, even.

------------------

smith
18th Sep 2000, 18:01
Ping An - Mandarin for safe, safety, be safe.

DreamCatcher
18th Sep 2000, 20:24
Thank you, squire. Back in January, an old language professor (he was surely losing his marbles) at Cambridge thought it was Sanskrit and had something to do with safety or caution, but then he went off at a tangent, addling his brain still further!

Since then, a couple of sources came up with 'jade rabbit'.

But a motto such as 'be safe' on a (royal) sealing wax stamp surely makes more sense.

So I'll go with your input, which I'm sure is totally reasonable.

And thanks for the banter!

Be safe.

------------------
PistonBroke

smith
18th Sep 2000, 22:16
No worries, mate! BTW, It's not Sanskrit, it's just ancient Chinese Calligraphy.

Frats,

Smith

[This message has been edited by smith (edited 18 September 2000).]

hailstone
21st Sep 2000, 14:43
'tien fong'

sky - wind

DreamCatcher
21st Sep 2000, 22:38
Hailstone

Muchy scratchyass

Confuscian (sic) coming in now! This is a new one and looks perfectly reasonable. Can you advise any more of the context, particularly the dialect?

I need to get the interpretation into print, but it'll be a right bummer if off track.

Cheers :-)

------------------
PistonBroke

KIFIS
26th Sep 2000, 14:34
Sorry I am late. Had to send this to Taiwan. It is confirmed by a Chinese gentleman who could read the ancient script and then double-checked it from his dictionary that the characters on the stamp are ancient Chinese caligraphy in the form of a script. There are two characters and they say “ Ping An . “ The top character (in two parts) is Ping, the bottom character in (one part) is An. These two characters when combined ( as they are) mean SAFE. There is no other statement other than safe and it is meant to be a form of blessing for all things that need to be safe i.e. health, journeys, etc etc.
You may be interested to know that these two characters that make up Ping An can often be seen on Chinese New Year posters that are pasted on the wall or on the front door of the family home at the beginning of every Chinese New Year. Combined with two other characters the meaning is for “ Safe passage as you enter the home and safe passage when you exit the home.” There are four Chinese characters for this :” Chu (exit) Ru (entry) Ping An (safe) “.

KIFIS

matelot
26th Sep 2000, 15:43
I suspect DC will be well pleased.

------------------

DreamCatcher
26th Sep 2000, 20:28
Sure am, matelot.

Thanx, KIFIS: it looks like you've been to a lot of trouble, particularly with the detail. Certainly bears out what smith came up with, so good confirmation.

Thanx guys. If you hear of anyone locked up for sniffing round Chinese doors....

PS - smith, KIFIS...... PING AN!

------------------
PistonBroke

[This message has been edited by DreamCatcher (edited 26 September 2000).]