PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot PC systems

Jimmy Macintosh
15th May 2008, 17:11
Has anyone on here set up and is using a Dual boot PC?

I just read how this is possible and was curious as to how it works out in reality.
What my intention is, is to have two hard drives, one with Vista basic and one with XP.

My questions are:

-Will I be able to access and use the data on both hard drives no matter which operating system I'm using.

-Can I make a couple of directories common, for example my documents etc. Maybe even have duplicate directories that both have a copy of each document in it (essentially an automatic document back up system.)

-If I install software in one system, will I be able to access it with the other system? For example Word is installed on the XP drive, if I operate the system in Vista would Word work or would I need to do two installs?

-Is there software out there that allows seamless operation where I can do the above?

-Is all I'm essentially doing is creating two PC's using the same hardware but are essentially two seperate entities?

If anyone has any advice or suggestions I welcome them.

Thanks.

JM

BOAC
15th May 2008, 17:45
Has anyone on here set up and is using a Dual boot PC?

Yes - in fact, a triple boot - paranoia rules

My questions are:

-Will I be able to access and use the data on both hard drives no matter which operating system I'm using.

I'm a 'Vista Virgin' (and keeping my knees firmly together:)), but I assume so

-Can I make a couple of directories common, for example my documents etc. Maybe even have duplicate directories that both have a copy of each document in it (essentially an automatic document back up system.)

As far as I know, not 'common', and remembering my 'virginity, of course, I would think a constant copy between systems would work, although with Vista................

-If I install software in one system, will I be able to access it with the other system? For example Word is installed on the XP drive, if I operate the system in Vista would Word work or would I need to do two installs?

Not sure about progs like Word - need an expert!

-Is there software out there that allows seamless operation where I can do the above?

-Is all I'm essentially doing is creating two PC's using the same hardware but are essentially two seperate entities?

All done quite sim[ply via a 'boot ini' file on the master boot drive (In 95/98/XP anyway). Have look at Google to understand how it works. Again, Vista may be 'different', but with the other systems I had to install the OS's in Chronological order i e 98/2000 then XP, and the XP CDROM has a function in 'repair' to enable you to build a boot.ini file.

I have found mutiple boot options good, particularly with the earlier OS's which crashed a lot and the option to look at drives etc via a GUI far easier than the old DOS lines!

Good luck.

Jimmy Macintosh
15th May 2008, 18:20
Thanks BOAC,

I've been searching the internet and all I can find is how to make it happen rather than what the systems are capable of doing when the two systems are installed.

You are correct in saying that it is best to install the operating systems in chronological order. My question that stems from that is that both of my hard drives have an independant install already inplace. The XP drive is in my current machine and the Vista will come on the new drive. I'm guessing that I'll just need to do a "repair" of the Vista drive in order for it to find the other install.

I guess my next question is when I install a program does it write to an OS specific file or does it write to a common file that both OS's access? I'm beginning to wonder whether I should install all things in XP as Vista looks and recognises earlier windows installations but XP wouldn't have a clue as to what Vista is.

Still trying to figure out if it's worth the effort...I might run some trials over the weekend between each operting system to see if Vista is as bad as has been reported.

BOAC
15th May 2008, 18:28
Vista E&OE!!!

Each OS will have its own .dat (registry file) to which prog data is written. In XP it resides in docs and settings/profile.

I'd certainly install to XP and see what happens - you can always re-do later.

Saab Dastard
15th May 2008, 19:11

Yes, assuming that you are only using Vista or XP (i.e. not an OS like linux or Win9x that can't read NTFS partitions).

Whatever you want - the contents of both disks will be available to whichever OS you have booted into.

No - you would need to install applications on both OSes. DATA is accessible to either, APPLICATIONS are specific to OS.

If you are referring to applications, then no.

One PC, two mutually exclusive OSes. You can't ever run them at the same time in a dual-boot config.

You can install a Virtual Machine (VM) - e.g. WMWare or MS equivalent. Then you can install a "guest OS" that runs simultaneously with the host OS. You can switch / toggle between them, or even use remote control software to control one from the other...

SD

Keef
15th May 2008, 22:55
I run multiple boot on both the desktop machines at home. One is multi-boot for a range of flavours of Linux, the other is primarily XP Pro, but with a couple of Linux versions on another HD.

Regardless of which OS I boot into, they can all see the "other" OS's files, but they can't run the software on them. I did have to download some utilities to allow XP to read Linux file formats, and some versions of Linux can't read NTFS, but the principle is there.

The big advantage of multiple-boot is that it provides instant access if one of the other OSs plays up. It saved my bacon a while ago when the XP hard drive decided it had a bad sector in an important place (it was a hardware fault, not an XP fault).

gizmocat
15th May 2008, 23:23
<pedant>SB, for the first time in my life, I must disagree with you.

Try installing XP, 2000 and XP pro on the same pc, (tripple boot), and then installing "M$ office" onto one OS. Make a shortcut to the .exe file in the 'other' OS, let's say 'Word' for example, and see what happens.</pedant>

OK, they're all, basically, the same OS, but the three registeries are different. It does work though!

P.S. Works between 98 and ME as well.

Again, sorry to disagree, but I have two working boxes doing this now.

twiggs
15th May 2008, 23:36
I've got XP on the first hard disk and Vista and Linux Ubuntu on separate partitions on the second hard disk.
I use the same folder for My docs in XP and Docs in Vista, by just changing the target for each to the same location.
There is no problem reading files in either MS OS, although caution should be shown as it is possible to interfere with system files in the OS that is not running and potentially stuffing it.
As previously mentioned, all apps have to be installed on each individual OS, as do all drivers.
They are two separate entities except when it comes to booting, but Vista does have a boot repair utility on the installation disk.
Also, once you have installed Vista, modifying the Vista Boot Loader can be a little more difficult than it is in XP, but a handy little app called EasyBCD (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1) makes that very easy.

Edit: That is something I have not tried Gizmocat, I must do so now.

Mac the Knife
16th May 2008, 04:10
(i.e. not an OS like linux or Win9x that can't read NTFS partitions).

Urrr....Linux has been able to read NTFS partitions since forever and has been able to write them safely for a couple of years now.

The alternative is to have a separate FAT32 data partition that all OSes use.

:ok:

BOAC
16th May 2008, 07:26
....and while SD is taking his whipping:), 9x also CAN read NTFS. DiskInternals (http://www.diskinternals.com/products/ntfs-reader/) it is. I have it on my 98 'system', but have not had cause to use it, and I suspect it is a 'patch and fix' rather than a permanent fix?

Bushfiva
16th May 2008, 12:26
CAN read NTFS

"Read" being the operative word. It can't write. Unhand and unwhip that boy thar.

BOAC
16th May 2008, 13:20
NO! 5 more lashes and some salt in the wound:ok:

gizmocat
16th May 2008, 15:45
and has been able to write them safely for a couple of years now

Is this turning into my major "dissagree with senior posters" thread ? (sorry BF) :bored:There are many versions of Linux that are perfectly happy writing to NTFS formatted partitions. I do it all the time.

---

In fact, while I'm on a roll, I might as well disagree, in the purest sense, with BOAC as well !! :) The utitlity you mention saying that 9X can read NTFS is only really a "save and dump" thing. IIRC, it doesnt work through windows file manager / explorer (adjust terminology to suit age of self). I do, however, as always, stand to be corrected. :)

BOAC
16th May 2008, 17:29
in the purest sense - in the finest tradition of the forum:ok:

I think, gc, that BF was giving my 'CAN read NTFS' a minor lashing there? I was merely joining in with my 'pedant's whip' after Mac started the punishment.:) Seemed like fun.

There are other progs around too, including http://www.mount-everything.com/ntfsw/ which claims to read and write.

Saab Dastard
16th May 2008, 20:36
OW, OW, OW, OW, OW!

:ouch:

NTFS is readable by Linux (I knew that, really). But I didn't think it was reliably writable, being proprietary an' all.

As for executables installed under one OS operating correctly on another - well standalone .exes will certainly do so (fair enough), but unless and until I see a registry hive called HK_Other_OS_on_the_other_partition and User.DAT.otherOS, then I will stick with the MS official line on this one!

SD

gizmocat
17th May 2008, 01:25
until I see a registry hive called HK_Other_OS_on_the_other_partition and User.DAT.otherOSuntil I see a registry hive called HK_Other_OS_on_the_other_partition and User.DAT.otherOS

SB, as someone who both understands and appreciates it, I have to say that is probably one of the most amusing comments I have read to date on PPrune :ok::):) very subtle, but entirely informed :cool:

As I said, I was being very pedantic;)