PDA

View Full Version : Opera oddity

frostbite
15th May 2008, 14:51
I have been running Opera in XP for some years, although I also use Firefox occasionally.

Just lately, in the first instance only of using Opera, just after the daily bootup, it has been freezing after a couple of minutes, along with everything else. The 'three fingered salute' then takes quite some time to present the close option, as does clicking the close box,

Thereafter, all performs as it should for the rest of the day. Any thoughts?

BRL
15th May 2008, 20:04
Have you done a full virus scan?

frostbite
15th May 2008, 21:28
Yes, first thing I thought of.

Saab Dastard
15th May 2008, 21:35
Have a look at task manager, processes, and see what is hogging the CPU.

SD

BOAC
15th May 2008, 21:50
Of course, frostie - you could be another AVG8 victim..................

Keef
15th May 2008, 22:46
I run Opera Mobile on my XDA, and it's a complete PITA. It freezes often, for about 10 - 30 seconds, then resumes as if nothing had happened.

The problem is, Internet Explorer on the XDA is hopeless, and there's really nothing else that I've found that will do the job. So I have to put up with the infuriating pauses with Opera.

Unless, of course, anyone knows of a browser that will do a decent job on an XDA Orbit (which is an HTC something or other).

Muffin Themule
15th May 2008, 23:03
Might be time to (p)prune your browser cache.

It seems to me that Opera disregards limits for disk cache size, and tries to keep a copy of the internet on your hard disk. For example, I have set disk cache size to 75MB (default is 20MB) but I notice that the current size is 130MB, despite frequent culls. A gi-normous cache will result in slow startup as Opera rebuilds the index.