PDA

View Full Version : CX Mac Users

Pogie
15th May 2008, 13:29
OK, I figured out that I had to download Firefox to access IConnect. Now the latest wall I've encountered is in trying to order tickets. Everything works fine in IBM Host until I want to press F9 to submit my ticket application. When I do that (Leopard), Expose opens up. I disabled the keyboard shortcut for that in Apple - System Preferences - Keyboard and Mouse - Keyboard Shortcuts, but it still isn't recognizing my F9 (or F3) key presses. Oddly enough, F1 brings up the Help thing, though!

I can't go into work because I'm not in HKG and need the tickets for when I get there (non-CX tickets). Help!

MacBoero
15th May 2008, 14:39
Is there an "Fn" key on your keyboard, lower left corner?

If there is, you need to hold that down for the function keys to send the F codes to an application rather then triggering Mac OS functionality.

katana
15th May 2008, 16:22
Easy - if you look at the bottom of the window for IBM host, you will see a list of all the F keys - you can use the mouse and simply click the one you want.

its easy when you try....

Pogie
15th May 2008, 23:02
Thanks. guys!

I got it to work. Macbook Pro, BTW. I had tried the FN key thing before and it didn't work. Maybe because I was trying everything else too, and something got messed up. The FN key didn't work for the F12 button, but maybe because I hadn't previously disabled that in the Keyboard Shortcuts menu, IDK?

Anyway, clicking on the PF12 thing at the bottom proved to be the trick. I never thought that those were clickable buttons. Maybe it was the whole DOS, Computer code look to the whole thing. What is it with airlines and their stubborn unwillingness to switch to anything modern, windows-looking system that is simple to use??

superfrozo
15th May 2008, 23:24
Mac-shmac.

Aren't Macs supposed to "just work"!?!?

Anyway, I thought Macs were only for good for Captains to show the SO photos of his/her latest:

$Million holiday home,
Warbird,
80' motor yacht,
Ferarri,
20yo (4th) wife,
<insert other expensive toy here>...

:ok:

Flame on boys!!

Luv, "Mr. PC".:8

junior_man
15th May 2008, 23:49
Hello PC,

Macs do work. Occasionally when we visit IBM host we are reminded of what Microsoft looks like :-)

Now go update your virus/spyware/fungus software

superfrozo
15th May 2008, 23:57
Oh, go and right click something Macboys!!

Oh, hang on - nevermind. :E

:}

Bwa-hahaHA!!!

CASR139
16th May 2008, 00:54
Right-click? We can do that. Hell we can even run windows within OS X! (For those unimaginative software developers that persist on staying on the dark side)

Max Reheat
16th May 2008, 01:23
Good morning Chaps.
Well I took the plunge and bought a new iMac.
Signed up for .Mac - doesn't send emails through 'Mail'
Bought a Time Capsule - can't get it to work
and now in iPhoto I can't edit any of my pics.

Despite all this I am getting to love it, but it is frustrating.

I know it's because I'm a NumbNuts and am doing something wrong but imho it most certainly does NOT just work.

Cheers

nike
16th May 2008, 02:12
superfrozo.....

ctrl + click = right click.

no big deal.

need to chill there a bit, seem to be freaking out over nothing.

jetset
16th May 2008, 03:59
Max

I use mail with .mac, always have. Just go to preferences (under the file menu) then accounts, there is a + sign at the bottom left to add an account and follow the prompts.

mail sever is mail.mac.com and smtp is smtp.mac.com.

To edit a photo in iphoto there is an edit button on the toolbar at the bottom, not sure why that is not visible (if its not)

Time capsule..... if you are in HKG pm me and I will come and help out!

superfrozo
16th May 2008, 04:40
:(

superfrozo.....

ctrl + click = right click.

no big deal.

need to chill there a bit, seem to be freaking out over nothing.

Well that's just great Nike. Real easy, for you maybe, with your fancy TWO ARMS!!
Some of us HAD AN ARM REMOVED AS A CHILD THANKS TO A NASTY CHEESE GRATING ACCIDENT. (I still can't look at a block of parmesan without getting the shakes up.):{

Not so easy now, ey??

christn
16th May 2008, 07:25
Max Reheat,

I had the same mail problem. Mail uses port 25 by default which is often blocked by your ISP.
Server port 587 works for me!

Max Reheat
16th May 2008, 10:40
Hi Jetset and christn
Thanks for your replies.

Jetset, I'll PM you next week when I get back from the coal face.

christn thanks for that. I'm in Mail>accounts>advanced but the port numbers are greyed out and I can't change them. Currently it says 993 and use SSL.
Thanks in advance.
MaxR

christn
16th May 2008, 11:51
Go to Mail Accounts

Click on 'Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)'

Click 'Edit Server List'

I have Server port 587 with SSL unchecked

nike
16th May 2008, 14:09
another option.....

may need to use "smtp.netvigator.com" for your outgoing server

as you may have their server blocking you. (use this if you're getting 'time out on port 25' messages)

frozo, its that parmy smell that gets me, but luckily I've got thin elbows....and a oversized keyboard.

Max Reheat
16th May 2008, 14:40
christn....
YOU are a bloody star!!!
Thank you very much.
PM me and I'll buy you a beer or 4 or 8 etc

Cheers.... MaxR

Max Reheat
16th May 2008, 14:46
Jetset
Thank you too.
I've figured editor out too. I think I was just asking too much of it. Have you any idea what the best photo editor for mac is? Do Adobe do a photoshop for mac?
Anyway, thank you and I owe you a beer too. I'll be in touch about the time capsule.

BW... MaxR

christn
16th May 2008, 15:01
For basic editing I think iPhoto is perfectly adequate. If you are more serious Apple's Aperture is the way to go but check its system requirements before buying!

junior_man
16th May 2008, 21:15
sorry to hear of the cheese grater accident. Perhaps a Mac would help you out Frozo. Apart from setting it so two fingers on the trackpad and click the track pad button gives you a right click, you can also resize, scroll vertically and horizontally, rotate using your track pad as well. I am sure Vista 2011 will have the features too, but will again require you to purchase a new computer and all new software.......

mairyhinge
17th May 2008, 02:48
Gents, if you connect a 2 button mouse to mac then right clicking is the same as windoze..... Thanx for the port change advice with .mac

oriental flyer
17th May 2008, 12:50
Max:

For basic photo editing iPhoto is fine , if you want something more have a look at Adobe Photoshop Element 6 : Aperture 2 is fantastic stay clear of version 1 it was slow , Version 2 of Aperture is lightning fast and does everything you could want . Adobe Lightroom v 1.4, is Aperture's direct competition both are great programs . The King of photo editing is Photoshop CS3 a fantastic program but difficult to master .
It all comes down to what you want to do Nikon capture NX takes a novel approach to photo editing but is easy to work with .

All of the versions above have downloadable versions to try, and unlike a PC it does not matter how many programs you add or take off the Mac it will not phase it within reason. Keep an eye out for shareware programs as well there are some really great ones around .

If you are new to Macs try subscribing to Macformat from UK a great magazine and there are plenty of downloadable magazines using ZINIO reader and a subscription.

missingblade
17th May 2008, 13:06
So this is the official Mac love in....

Maybe the AOA should be giving free Mac stuff as join up gifts to help recruit members. Really wish CX guys could be this interested in their COS ....:}

texas145
17th May 2008, 14:11
I, too, love both my Macs. Right click with the track pad and two fingers is great. Or use the Mac mouse that is smart enough to know that if you click the left side of it, it knows that is a left click and if you click the right side of it, it knows that is a right click. Nice.

I found Aperture to be not much more functional than iPhoto, as far as editing. Aperture is a photo sorter. It is for professionals who need to sort through 50 photos on the same subject to find the best shot. If you do buy it, (download a free trail version first, to test drive it) it can be purchased much more cheaply at places like Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com), than at the official Apple store (http://store.apple.com).

iPhoto is great for general use. As a hobbyist, I'd stick with iPhoto or PhotoShop Elements. PhotoShop CS3 is amazing, but costly and complicated to use for general users. But, if you can fly a 747, CS3 is certainly within range of the learning curve!:ok:

For more info, check out: KenRockwell.com (http://www.kenrockwell.com)