PDA

View Full Version : CAA JAA Class 1 Medical not enough to train in Ireland?!

andycelt2001
15th May 2008, 12:27
Ok this post may be pointless but I wanted to post my view.

I have my JAA Class 1 Medical Certificate from the CAA, Gatwick. I have only had it for a couple of months and have recently been accepted into an irish flying school.

If I want to train at the irish school I have to get a Class 1 Medical through the Irish Aviation Authority which would cost €600 on top of the course cost, and 7hours worth of testing.

I am lost as to why I have to pay to go through this medical testing again to get an Irish medical, when I have a JAA approved medical from the CAA and the training is for a JAA pilots licence. So I would have thought my current medical should suffice?

Seems a pointless waste of time and extra money? (Plus it costs so much more than CAA medical and has even more tests!)

Andy

speedrestriction
15th May 2008, 14:56
http://www.jaa.nl/licensing/licensing_overview.html

Perhaps you can print a copy of this and forward it to the IAA.

eyedoc
16th May 2008, 16:47
If you have a valid JAA class 1 you can apply for a change of 'state of licence issue' (SOLI). The CAA will send your medical details to the Irish and it will cost you 20 quid.

andycelt2001
16th May 2008, 18:05
Thanks guys, I'm surprised the IAA or CAA did not tell me any of this when I emailed them.

I will look more into it and see about the conversion of state you mentioned!

Would be a great help as I have been accepted for the irish FTO and for the FlyBe cadetship there, so I'm over the moon!

Thanks,
Andy

2close
16th May 2008, 19:03
Don't the CAA and IAA have a reciprocal agreement to accept each other's medicals, flight training and theory examinations?

This was supposed to apply across ALL JAA member states until some realised it could affect their own national training industries with students going off to train in cheaper states.

RavenII
24th May 2008, 12:44
Your medical has to be issued in the country in which you apply for your licence. At least that's how i understand it.

For your renewal you can go everywhere.

2close
24th May 2008, 17:07
Normally, yes, but the CAA and IAA have (or did have, at least) a reciprocal agreement in place to accept theory, practical training and medical certification from each other.

That is the way it is supposed to work in JAA land, in any case and if you read JAR-FCL 1 you will see that it states that any member state can accept medicals, etc. from any other state provided both states agree to it. IN theory you do you theory in the UK, flight training in France with a German medical......there endeth the theory as in practice it hasn't worked because each member state is bloody protective of its own empire!!

It's going to be interesting to see how EASA copes when EU member states don't like what EASA has mandated. Let's face facts, there are certain EU member states that don't follow EU laws in any case so why should they be any different with EASA regulations. I detect another farce on the horizon, a la JAA.

Of course, as with everything else out of Brussels the UK will go that extra mile to ensure that we are all well and truly butt-plugged by EASA and the CAA will impose extra charges for the privilege. :mad:

IRISHPILOT
29th May 2008, 08:40
This is what it was like for me a couple of years ago:

Where your medical is from for training does not matter, but the IAA (as do other CAAs), wants you to have an Irish medical for licence issue. - So: when the time comes, you can simply renew (not initial) with an Irish AME.

Ms R. is quite accommodating, just write to her directly (email on their website).

hope that helps. IP