PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Military for Airline Life

MIL OR CIVIL
15th May 2008, 11:44
I'm new to PPrune, guess it has something to do with my obligation end date to the RAAF fast approaching. I've read with interest the GA types wanting to get into long haul and the Airline types stuck in the rut of high salaries, expensive hobbies, huge mortgage and not happy with life!! For someone like me who has spent my entire aviation career in the military, it gets confusing about what job out there is for me. I'm well aware that the grass is greener syndrome is a player for many and I'd rather not find that out the hard way.

My question is for militray typse that have made the move to the airlines-what is it like, does the lifestyle change outway the melow job, does the time away from home on a steady roster better time away from on a minutes notice.

Is the extra money and expected more stable life really better than the RAAF. For example, a RAAF pilot after ten years is on about $115000 plus all the militray benifits. What is a typical first officer on?

I hear of guys who love it because they do less work for more pay-despite feeling very unsatifdied.
I hear of guys who throw in the job with Qantas/Cathay and the likes to return to the military.

Are there other jobs out there someone with my expereince should consider to get location stability but not lose the variation of military flying or take a pay cut?

HELP ME PLEASE-I'M LOSING MY MIND THINKING ABOUT WHAT TO DO-maybe I should just change careers paths all together and by a Post Office!

mathos03
27th May 2008, 10:05
I've heard that you can get comparable rates at VB after a couple of years (including allowances - note super substantially less) but initially you are on less.

Cathay have just dropped their start up wage from 118K to about 92K, but again after a couple of years you are back up around the 120K mark.

VB work 11/12 days in a 28 day roster, so not bad. Not sure with Cathay, but have heard you generally have about 14/15 days off a month.

By the way, I'm in the same boat, should I stay or should I go. The retention bonus was a complete waste of time and I really can't see the ASP bringing anymore dollars into the pockets of the Pilots.

So fly for VB for about 5-6 years get a command and earn over 200K a year. Not bad for about 16 days work a month.

Hope this helps

Cheers :O

Monty77
28th May 2008, 17:50
True Mathos,

But that can be 16+ days a month away from home.

You guys are both in your 30s, if you have wife and kids, think very hard.

It also depends on you. Some blokes really hate sitting in the bus on the long night stretch, then spending nights away from home. Others think it's great.

If you like to home every night, then it's not for you. The novelty will quickly wear off.

You don't have to be a pilot all your life.

Here's a good one:

What would you do if you lost your med cat permanently, but were able-bodied for any office/ground/other job?

JimNich
31st May 2008, 08:49
Mil or Civil

Inna nutshell

1. The grass is not greener, anyone who said it is is a liar, its just a different shade (change is as good as a rest though).

2. Get over the money, every airline pays differently anyway. Expect to (plan to) half your wages initially. If Coin is your motivation to leave, I sugget you stay.

3. Stable roster? A thing of the past I'm afraid (although I can't speak for every airline of course, but it would bear a little more research).

and finally

4. Ask two questions, firstly(on whichever course of action you decide) how will you feel about it in five years time, which direction can you imagine you'd regret the most not doing. Secondly, ask your Dad := (mines sadly passed away quite a few years ago) because at some stage of life we all wake up to the fact that the old sod always knew better anyway.

Hope this helps