PDA

View Full Version : JAA country conversion again ...

alexka
15th May 2008, 11:34
I live in Germany, have PPL issued by German CAA and want to join either Oxford or Bristol ATPL distance learning course. This implies that I have to get my CPL(fATPL) license issued by UK CAA. However, I would like to complete my flight training program in Germany because I work here.

It would be great to be able to convert UK ATPL theory qualification into German one and to continue with flight training in Germany, but I know that's not possible. Someone told me that it would be possible to complete flight training program in Germany and do CPL checkride in UK, that would fit. Can someone confirm how would this work in real life? Would UK CAA and FTO accept me with my 'German' training? Just would like to hear if someone had similar experience before getting in touch with authorities...

Any information on whether conversion madness will ever improve with EASA migration? :ugh:

Many thanks :ok:
Alex

Keygrip
15th May 2008, 12:58
alexka - the people to ask are the LBA.

Ask them if they will accept a UK ATPL groundschool course to support your German CPL flight training.

Many member states have "back scratching" agreements. It may be "very" possible to do as you wish!

IRISHPILOT
20th May 2008, 07:24
I believe Intercockpit uses BGS? Then that would be with the LBA.
And depending where in Germany you live, Bratislava may not be too far? they use Oxford books.

not sure if training in Germany is acceptable nowadays with only the test done in that other country, but please bear in mind that a rating from any JAA country can be added to any JAA licence, so the UK CAA will add a fully German IR or ME rating to a UK licence, no questions asked.

cheers IP

alexka
21st May 2008, 12:53
Thanks guys for your hints. Germany won't accept partial training, official statement from LBA quotes JAR-FCL German version 1.065 (a), where it says that initial medical, training and exam must be completed within the country that is issuing the license. It also might mean (and I am sure it does!), that if one begins his flight training in Germany, and since it will be based on JAR-FCL German version, he "must" complete the training and exams in Germany, otherwise it's invalid - what an elegant lock-in :)

Looks like if I decide to do the theory in the UK, I have to target full UK CPL flight training program as well. MEP and IR can be done anywhere.

Cheers :ok: