PDA

View Full Version : Sanity Check - Your Love of the Profession & General Hard Luck Stories

Okavango
15th May 2008, 08:13
Hi All,

About 7 years ago I had my second crack at BA sponsorship, their feedback was I passed all tests with flying colours though was unsuccessful at 2nd stage interview as they weren't convinced of my motivation to fly (hadn't got my PPL since the first attempt though did learn to fly hang gliders for what it's worth!!). At that time I was too old to re-apply (and Sept 11th occured shortly after anyhow) and said in interview if I wasn't successful I'd save up and pay my own way. Well here I am now, living close to Manchester airport with £50k saved through hard work and ready for modular training (and I'll be able to maintain my relatively well paid job for the first 12 months of training, which by my reckoning helps out a hell of a lot). Though life's pretty good, I've never gone to work feeling it's what I'm here to do and since being a child have always wanted to be a professional pilot. Not wanting this to cloud my judgement, at this point I'd appreciate everyone's experiences who've been through before, particularly hard luck stories. In particular:

1. Is the profession what you expected when you started out?
2. Anyone who has just given up the job hunt after training and written off their £40-60k as a bad debt?!
3. Anyone unemployed for more than 3yrs from licence issue? What effects does this have on licence currency and are there other contingency costs I've failed to save for in this case?
4. My intention would be to initially go down the instructor route to build hours, applying for other jobs along the way. Does it make sense to delay the IR rating till some way into this so I'm not wasting currency when I have little chance of airline employment (though I guess an IR rating might be needed in any case prior to the FI course)?
5. Any problems with health in mid-career and in such cases do the airlines just bin you?
6. Any adverse effects on personal/family life? I guess it's a bit selfish to just do what I want to do so interested in how the profession has affected wife/kids in mid-life?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Oko