PDA

View Full Version : The value of the ASIC

frothy
15th May 2008, 07:30
Had the misfortune of losing my wallet,Cancelled the cards and applied for newies, all OK.
Then I front up to the Local Constabulary to have a new Drivers Licence issued. 100 point ident test required. For the photo ID, you beaut, I've got my ASIC in the car. Would you believe she would not accept it as bono fide photo ID. This card was only issued after ASIO,AFP and State Police Checks. I had to go home and get my Passport.
That in itself is not a problem, but it does demonstrate what a farcical load of Cr*p this whole ASIC exercise has been.
Probably the worst part is the loss of those small bits of paper with phone Nos. and email addresses.
And NO there were no circular indentations in the old wallet:}
Blo*dy Hell we're being conned with this Security charade
Put the Loud Hailer away

Frothy

Skystar320
15th May 2008, 07:32
[ ]

Two_dogs
15th May 2008, 10:01
Skystar,

You crack me up!

Two Dogs

Capt Wally
15th May 2008, 10:07
you said the value of the ASIC?.........about 30cents, inc GST of course!
Would make a good device to slip in past a dead lock also I think:)

Mate the way girls are these days compared to when I was a young whipper snipper THEY have the 'circular' objects at the ready!, oh to be young again !:{

CW

Howard Hughes
15th May 2008, 10:25
The Post Office will let you use it to pick up your mail...;)

Other than that, worthless!:rolleyes:

Pinky the pilot
15th May 2008, 11:00
And NO there were no circular indentations in the old wallet

Why not???:= One should always be prepared!! Standards to uphold, don'tcha know!:}

Other than that; The value of an ASIC?:confused:

SFA!:mad:

Howard Hughes
15th May 2008, 11:03
Perhaps he was going 'old school', Capt Wally would know all about that!;)

frothy
15th May 2008, 11:49
Yes, probably when Capt W. and I were lads, it was sow the wild oats and pray for a crop failure, Now it's help your self and don't wake me;)
It's ironic we had to send copies of our Drivers Licence to get the ASIC, but it doesn't count to replace the Control Document(drivers licence)
What a bloody farce. Bullen brothers Circus only had three rings.

Frothy

Capt Wally
15th May 2008, 12:41
too true 'frothy' & funny:) Slight thread drift but I can recall when rather young seeking to be 'closer' to a girl than I ever thought I wanted to be in 6th grade standing outside a chemist shop (the only place you could buy them) trying to work up the courage to go in & buy some(or even just one to be that lucky!) of those 'circular' objects. To do such a thing (buy one) was almost heroic amongst yr mates, oh how times have changed, a 'buck' placed in da slot these days almost anywhere gets you a 'buck' elsewhere:E:E:E
'HH' yr not that much younger than me buddy:ok:

CW

Howard Hughes
15th May 2008, 12:46
How right you are...:ok:

frothy
15th May 2008, 13:55
HH, last month 21st April was my fortieth aniversary of my involment in Aviation.
On your profile you were a pup then, but your catching up 'cause I don't have Birthdays now, so at the present rate you should be older than me shortly:p
Oh to go back in time, no ASIC , very little bitching, airmanship was alive and well, ATC and FSU helped you out of spots you possibly shouldn't have been in.
Pilots could actually read a map and correct drift. Young blokes probably wouldn't know the 1:60 Rule. DON'T PANIC the GPS has dropped out.
There was nothing wrong with Full Position Reporting, and most importantly the Comraderie amongst Pilots at all Levels. In the Bar when I first started shutting up and listening to the likes of Russ Evans,Pedro Cerlewis,Lintan Kloster, Vic Walton, Myles Lewis, Stan Hone,Blackjack(Brian) Walker, Lance Fletcher and the list goes on. Learnt more there than in an aeroplane I think.
It's a shame the way the Industry is now. We will never pass that way again, just heaped high and buried in Regulation is our future. The security debarcle only the tip of the ice cube (the ice berg is yet to come).:mad:

Frothy

Ozfed
15th May 2008, 14:19
:ugh:

To have or to have not....

frothy
16th May 2008, 05:18
Ozfed
The only reason I've got one is to be in my own Hanger with the front door open to the hardstanding is classed as airside, but with the front doors closed but the rear roller door open to the street ASIC not required. Plus we get a mention in ERSA 'cause we've got QANTAS. Not wearing an ASIC must disengage the door opening mechanisms:ugh:
Working with power tools in the Hanger with an ASIC round your neck really complies with OH&S.
Sorry It won't happen. It can sit on the table when I'm working.
Book 'em Dano

Frothy

Pinky the pilot
16th May 2008, 10:52
Oh to go back in time, no ASIC , very little bitching, airmanship was alive and well, ATC and FSU helped you out of spots you possibly shouldn't have been in.
Pilots could actually read a map and correct drift. Young blokes probably wouldn't know the 1:60 Rule. DON'T PANIC the GPS has dropped out.
There was nothing wrong with Full Position Reporting, and most importantly the Comraderie amongst Pilots at all Levels.

Frothy; Aint that the truth!! I did my training to CPL level in the early 80s when the 'golden days' were on the wane but I remember vividly attending an 'open day' at YPFL on a wintry day in 1970 as a student of a boarding school. (had to have written permission of my parents to absent myself from the College for the day)

It was a positively freezing day so at one stage I found my way into the then Rossair offices and despite the fact I had no money I was told by some of the pilots there to ''help yourself to the hot chocolate machine and don't worry about paying, one of us will see to it!''

Had a good listen to the talk bandied around the place that day, a good chat to some of the blokes and learned a lot. I have never forgot the friendship/camaraderie shown that day.

Sadly, these days it seems it was another planet upon which all this occurred!!:{:{

Howard Hughes
16th May 2008, 11:20
Pinky, that camaraderie still exists, it is just a little harder to find these days...:ok:

PS: I'll throw in a biscuit (cream ones) to go with yer hot chocolate!;)