PDA

View Full Version : Tailwheel and/or aerobatic in melbourne?

Mark1234
15th May 2008, 03:51
Have aeros endorsement, want tailwheel endorsement..

Looking for something to do the tailwheel in, and something for aeros that's got inverted systems, and is more capable than just a basic aeros trainer. e.g. tumbling/gyro and suchlike (with suitable instruction). Is there such a thing in the melbourne area? Google searches just turn up lots of 'red letter day' type experiences. Red baron in sydney seem to fit the bill, but that's in sydney!

StallsandSpins
15th May 2008, 04:02
There is a two hole pitts and several decathlons at GFS moorabbin. You will have to do about 20 hours in the decathlons before they let you have a crack at the pitts. The instructor there is one of the most experienced aerobatic pilots in australia

Sunfish
15th May 2008, 06:52
David Pilkington at GFS at YMMB is a very good instructor with his own very nice Decathlon if you want to do both at once.

StallsandSpins
15th May 2008, 07:22
yeah thats who i meant:) one of the nicest decathlons i have seen around too

ForkTailedDrKiller
15th May 2008, 08:02
So why would ya want to get endorsed on tail wheel?

Dr :8

PS: Ya trying to make Tiddles and Not Much Ado feel inadequate, huh?

slackie
15th May 2008, 09:34
Shouldn't that be why WOULDN'T you want to get a tailwheel endorsement...everyone should find out if they're a REAL pilot or not! Likewise aerobatics...the real joy of flight is movement around ALL axis:ok::ok::ok::ok:

flog
15th May 2008, 12:12
Dave Prosser at, umm, wherever he is now at YMMB, is your man for a tail wheel endo.

Then spend some time with Dave Pilkington (Pilko) at GFS in JIR (8KCAB) and then the Pitts S2A. Dave spent some time as the aeronautical engineer and test pilot for Aviat in the US on the Pitts so there's not many in the world more qualified to show you how they handle...

djpil
15th May 2008, 22:42
tumbling/gyro and suchlikeAlas, none of that in Decathlons, not even snaps - they don't have a very robust structure. Mark1234, you need to go and find an Extra 300.

Mark1234
16th May 2008, 00:16
Erm.. numerous reasons - many of the interesting aeroplanes have tailwheels, as do most glider tugs.. and if I fly on my Aus license back in JAAland, I can't add tailwheel to it there.

Sounds like the decathlon's not much of a step up on the alpha then.. I have lomcevaks on my mind.. and I want to do proper stall turns where the engine keeps running and the plane stops, NOT the other way round :ok:

Extra - co-incidentally I flew one (a 200 tho), about a week ago.. which was when I thought... "Must get that damn tailwheel thingy done" - shortly after "**** this is an indecent amount of fun".. and shortly before lunch started repeating on me :ugh:

frothy
16th May 2008, 06:22
Forky
C180s and 185's have got the small wheel on the right end, same as Pitts decath's, pie chasers, chippies,austers ect. but they forgot the wheel on the Tigers and gave you a bit of a skid to slow you down:}
Remember in the old days(god I'm gettin' old the kids will start talking) when everyone trained on chippies, Austers or Tigers, them new nose wheel thingies will never catch on. It made you concentrate on your directional control on t/o's and landings and not forgetting taxiing in a bit of breeze
I luv my t/wheels, that's why I sold my last Tricycle and got my present little rocket, a nice little aeroplane to fly, but keeps you honest.
The 185 I loved, plenty of grunt, carried a good load and go into places you wouldn't get one of those fancy nosewheel gizmos, plus gear down and welded. Those P51s fancy retracting the t/wheel:eek:
Mark go for it, eventually you'll richochet with confidence.

Frothy

ForkTailedDrKiller
16th May 2008, 07:10
So why would ya want to get endorsed on tail wheel?

Geez people, it was a joke!

OK, OK, so it was not up to my usual standard perhaps, but nobody hits the mark every time. Do I gotta draw you a picture?

Hint: Have a look at the names of the moderators in here!

Dr :8

frothy
16th May 2008, 07:16
Forky
We know it was a joke, Lighten up, that's the vein in which I read the replies, I'm sure everyone else did too. The rivalary between trike and t/wheel will still be there long after we are gone to the Big Hanger in the Sky.
Then I want a T/wheel on my Mahogany Box:ok:

Frothy

Mark1234
17th May 2008, 18:21
Ooooohhhh!!!!! I get it. Missing 'a'. Right.

C'mon Forkie.. bit subtle for us lot!

Captain Homer
17th May 2008, 23:50
Dave Prosser,
now at melbourne flight training if your looking for him.

Lasiorhinus
18th May 2008, 06:36
Have a chat to Gerard at Latrobe Valley Aero Club - they've got a Decathlon, a Pitts, a 180, and a few other things with tailwheels, and a love of aerobatics.

Plus, Latrobe Valley has no landing fees, and you can do your aerobatics right above the field.