PDA

View Full Version : "The management of this company has contributed far more to its wellbeing and success

cbradio
15th May 2008, 02:00
"The management of this company has contributed far more to its wellbeing and success than any bloody union has,"

if that quote attributed to Mr. Dixon is correct, and you follow the "union IS the employees" theory it is one of the most breathtakingly arrogant statements I have ever read.

:ugh:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
15th May 2008, 02:08
Well well....

I would suggest then that the 'any bloody union'(s) simply withdraw ALL
'contributions' immediately for 1 day!

That's ALL 'bloody unions' folks.........

Then see how well Mr Dixon is able to successfully manage HIS company's
'wellbeing'.....

1 day SHOULD be sufficient........:}:}

An 'interested' SLF....:ok:

Big Unit
15th May 2008, 03:53
Well done dixon on totally alienating your entire workforce.:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

Spaghetti Monster
15th May 2008, 06:01
Maybe what he meant to say was: 'This company has contributed far more to management's wellbeing and success than any bloody union has"

(And should we mention Geoff's involvement in the whole takeover debacle? Hell of a contribution there, Geoff. :yuk:)

Captain Dart
15th May 2008, 06:41
This statement, if true, would have to be on a par with the 'bus drivers' quote from the Hon. R.J. Hawke. And we all know what that led to!

speeeedy
15th May 2008, 06:56
This is another direct quote from Mr Dixon:

“I know some CEOs say look after your customers, look after your employees, and the returns for shareholders will follow. I do the exact opposite.”

Sooner he goes the better.

FOG

Eastwest Loco
15th May 2008, 13:26
I was gong to make a comment here, but will not.

It would probably be libelous.

Mr G D has a lot of wonderful and true departed Airline people from cleaners to Pilots turning in their graves. Look at the way it used to be Geoffrey - there is a good deal you could learn mate.

Quel domage.

EWL

edited for housing commission brain patterns.

Lodown
15th May 2008, 19:02
Actually, if the quote is attributed to GD, then it seems to me that he is correct. From the AFAP website:

The role we have as a trade union is to protect and improve the conditions of employment for its members.
As a professional association, the members and Federation's staff are active in promoting flight safety and improving Australian and Global aviation standards.

And from the ALAEA:

The ALAEA is a federally registered Australian organisation that represents the industrial, technical and professional interests of Licenced Aircraft Maintenance Engineers (LAMEs) and other civil aircraft maintenance workers.

Nothing in either statement about contributing to a company's wellbeing and success. Oh well...next subject.

Sunfish
15th May 2008, 21:23
LR3:

I'm totally astounded at the arogance (sic) of this P@#*k.

I'm not astounded at all. I've been studying P@#*ks like this for five years after running into three of them, two holding positions of high authority and one in private life.

The world of business is just waking up to the phenomenon of narcissisists in management positions and the damage they do to organisations. The mainstream media have coined the term "Industrial Psychopaths" for these people (in the medical but not criminal sense). And their activities are coming under study, but as yet we don't have a test to weed them out.

The driver for their behaviour is a lack of self esteem that must be constantly reinforced by having other people recognise them in some way - narcissism is not about self love it is about love of the "reflection" of themselves as seen by others.

Main characteristics (this is not exhaustive).

1. Inability to empathise with humans.

2. Huge sense of entitlement.

3. Grandiose vision of self.

4. Inability to form long term relationships.

These people are often very hard working and intelligent. They rise far up the management tree very quickly by the simple process of stabbing their competitors in the back and managing "up" (ie sucking up) all the time and very effectively. Once in senior management roles, they hire others like them, because they like being sucked up to.

Their behaviours then become very like the overall behaviour of QF management, total disdain and contempt for their staff and sucking up still further - hence Dixon's total contempt for anyone but shareholders - including employees and the travelling public (remember the letter he sent to the residents of Hamilton Island? - classic narcissism!). Then of course there was the APA bid - classic sense of entitlement!

Usual symptoms in an organisation are "good" managers leaving in droves and their replacement with incompetent suckholes. After that, the workforce becomes demoralised as it is consistently talked down to, manipulated, treated badly, abused and generally ignored. Remember QF toying with it's engineering staff about whether they were going to outsource some of their operations overseas and then giving them twelve month reprieves? Classic narcissism, why would anyone but a narcissist be so deliberately cruel?

Of course, for a while HR folk have thought that in some cases having a psychopath in charge of an ailing company is a good thing. They can sack thousands and close plants at the stroke of a pen with absolutely no bad conscience at all. They do "ruthless" very well and still sleep well at night. But they have to be removed after they have performed surgery on the company otherwise they will eventually destroy the organisation just for fun and to watch the pain they cause.

That, Ladies and Gentlemen, is why Mr. Dixon can see no inconsistency between his own bloated remuneration, record profits, and offering his own employees an increase that is less than the rate of inflation..... he really doesn't see it, and wouldn't care if he did.

To put it another way, remember the joke about the lawyer who is visited by the devil and promised riches, power and a place in legal history books in exchange for the souls of his wife and unborn children? The punchline is the lawyer asking the devil "What's the catch?" That's the way narcissists think.

The reason we have got this way is through our good intentions - specifically making "merit" the only criterion for management appointments and turning a blind eye to gender, religion, university and school affiliations, club membership and class. Just remember narcissists do "merit" very, very well.

Of course making management appointments by "religion, university and school affiliations, club membership and class" implies that the people making the appointment have had the opportunity to actually know who they are appointing, having golfed or played school football with them over many years - that means that they know who is a P@#*k and who isn't. But they aren't allowed to do this these days.

It's fun, although sometimes disappointing, to spot them. Any time you see a high profile person get caught in criminal activity, and you find yourself asking "why ferchrissake would some one with his money and profile do something so bone shatteringly stupid?" you are looking at a narcissist.

Examples include, the late Rene Rivkin, also a certain judge who has allegedly covered up speeding fines by attributing the use of his car to foreign dead people and a media personality who was caught making a tiny but stupid insider trading deal.

What happens next at QF is predictable, just ask yourself what actions taken by QF would most aggrandise Mr. Dixon and his managers? My guess is that he will tell Sharan Burrows to (expletive deleted).

16th May 2008, 01:06
Read an article in an American business journal that some US coporations are psych testing prospecive executives to detect sociopathic tendencies - if found, not disqualifying, but quite the opposite!

ABX
16th May 2008, 01:19
I agree Sunfish, you have a good grasp of the basic psychology involved with this type of prick. It seems to be a failing of western society today that we choose our management based solely on performance and ignore good character completely.

It is amazing the things an individual will do to cover a basic lack of self-respect. Those with a higher sense of self-respect tend to gravitate to a 'happy medium' and those who are truly unhappy with themselves seem to loose all morality and follow the path you set out in your post.

Remember the school yard bully? Probably a kid with no self-respect and no self-worth.

One small (but I think important) addition to your post:
4. Inability to form long term meaningful personal relationships. Many of these arseholes maintain long term relationships with those who are deemed useful, when they are no longer useful they are then discarded.

A very interesting and insightful post Sunfish.

ABX:ok:

wanty
16th May 2008, 02:29
Actually, if the quote is attributed to GD, then it seems to me that he is correct. From the AFAP website:

Quote:
The role we have as a trade union is to protect and improve the conditions of employment for its members.
As a professional association, the members and Federation's staff are active in promoting flight safety and improving Australian and Global aviation standards.

And from the ALAEA:

Quote:
The ALAEA is a federally registered Australian organisation that represents the industrial, technical and professional interests of Licenced Aircraft Maintenance Engineers (LAMEs) and other civil aircraft maintenance workers.

Nothing in either statement about contributing to a company's wellbeing and success. Oh well...next subject.

LODOWN That was easily the most profoundly IGNORANT comment I have read on this forum to date.

QF success is BUILT on it's "PERFECT ENGINEERING RECORD"

Herein lies the foundation of "SUCCESS"

sickofqf
16th May 2008, 07:06
speeeedy said
Sooner he goes the better.

FOG

I like it,

lets plaster the airports around australia with FOG !!

It could be the catch cry of the QF workforce.......talking about the weather, of course!!

max autobrakes
16th May 2008, 07:13
How much for one of those Billboards out the front of Qantas?:ok:

Konehead
16th May 2008, 14:25
What if your company CEO is a psychopath? What hope for us then?

Interesting segment on ABC science program "Catalyst" regarding corporate psychopaths.
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s1360571.htm#interact
To cut a long story short, these types do some harm to a company by driving "good" staff away. A consultancy group is employed by companies to seek out the corporate psychopaths in their ranks to try to find the cause of the staff exodus. Apparently corporate psychopaths "kiss up and kick down" the chain of command. Sound familiar?

And from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopath
Hare's items
Main article: Psychopathy Checklist-Revised (PCL-R) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy_Checklist-Revised_%28PCL-R%29)

Factor1: Aggressive narcissism

Glibness / superficial charm - TICK (he always comes across so smoothly in TV interviews)
Grandiose sense of self-worth - TICK (no explanation necessary - one of those "self-evident truths", i.e APA bid)
Pathological lying - TICK (another of those "self-evident truths", as anyone in Sydney HM will tell you)
Cunning / manipulative - TICK
Lack of remorse or guilt TICK
Shallow
Callous / lack of empathy TICK
Failure to accept responsibility for own actions - TICK
Promiscuous sexual behavior - I heard a rumour about him and his secretary. True? False?Factor2: Socially deviant lifestyle

Need for stimulation / proneness to boredom
Parasitic lifestyle - TICK
Poor behavioral control - TICK ("Management have done more for this company than any bloody union")
Lack of realistic, long-term goals (HELLO!!! Why don't we destroy the biggest selling point this company has - it's safety record - by destroying it's organic Engineering? Let's save a buck at the risk of losing EVERYTHING when a QF plane smacks in and the cause is found to be shonky overseas maintenance. Where will your shareholders be then, GD?)
Impulsivity - TICK
Irresponsibility - TICK
Juvenile delinquency
Early behavior problems
Many short-term marital relationships
Revocation of conditional releaseTraits not correlated with either factor

Many short-term marital relationships
Promiscuous sexual behavior (hmm...)
Criminal versatility (Freight cartel)And lastly, the documentary "The Corporation" http://www.thecorporation.com/index.cfm?page_id=2
What if, by definition, the company (corporation) you work for is psychopathic?
In a nutshell, this doco lists the six defining criteria of a psychopath and shows how corporations meet all six of the criteria, when only meeting four is enough to clinically diagnose a patient as a psychopath.

I think I'll retreat to my cave, wear a hair shirt and join the Luddites. :sad:

Short_Circuit
16th May 2008, 21:15
Extract from 24.com May 16 2008.

(British Airways) Chief Executive Willie Walsh, though, said he won't be taking his annual bonus that's worth up to £700 000
due to the troubled opening of Heathrow's Terminal 5. "I felt in the context of a disappointing opening of
Terminal 5 it would be inappropriate to take a bonus," he said on a conference call.

Dickson should take note of this one especially after the cargo price fixing fine that QF has to pay (and more to come once the Europeans are done with him).

Shame on you GD, shame, shame, shame. :(

Tankengine
17th May 2008, 00:03
700000quid?
Dixon wouldn't be interested in such a ****ty little bonus anyway!!:ugh:

The Hill
17th May 2008, 00:31
I think Geoff could learn a lot from Mr Fyfe across the ditch

max autobrakes
17th May 2008, 11:45
Too late on the bonus' .
The execs took their's early this year ,before all the gloom and doom financial figures came out.
If rumours are correct the Exec bonus was circa $100 Million.
Worth every penny, NOT!

busdriver007
17th May 2008, 21:59
Sadly 'The Hill' Geoff Dixon is too old and arrogant to learn from anyone. :ugh:FOG soon..... What is everyone around him, thinking, except "let's get as much as we can while it lasts".

Alien Role
19th May 2008, 03:00
If GD has such disregard for his employees and the quotes attributed to him are true and correct, then perhaps the employees of the Qantas Group should sign a "notice of no confidence" in him as their CEO.
Perhaps it could include the senior management and those Board members who were involved in the APA debacle.

Role on.....

mrpaxing
20th May 2008, 22:04
has it GD will be gone by august (after the olympics). Not soon enough!:yuk:

Dropt McGutz
20th May 2008, 23:43
It will be interesting to see who his replacement is.

Mech-prentice
21st May 2008, 01:08
lets plaster the airports around australia with FOG !!

QF has already signposted the terminals & hangars with FOD. Perhaps we're not the only ones keen to see him go?

Of course, I can't help but worry it might be a case of Frying-pan to Fire. Who's going to replace him?

blackguard
21st May 2008, 06:07
The vertically challenged,intellectually challenged and short tempered AJ will be Scrotum Face's replacement.
It wont be pretty.

QFinsider
21st May 2008, 08:26
I'm not so sure the lil fella will get it.
Had an interesting conversation with someone from a lofty position who indicated that the one requiring the booster seat is on the outside...

I was given distinct impression he is well led by Dixon, playing the role he was given at J*, however he is well out of his depth in something the size of Qantas.

Having re-read what I just typed, Dixon is way out of his depth, so perhaps the gnome is perfectly suited to the totally disfunctional Qantas machine..:ugh:

drdexter1975
21st May 2008, 11:32
....if life's that bad at the Q fellas then stop whining and go somewhere else!

blow.n.gasket
21st May 2008, 11:41
Jetstar perhaps?:}

Short_Circuit
21st May 2008, 11:59
drdexter1975

You just don't get it do you. :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

We, the body & soul of QANTAS, are not ready to see our company die at the hands of greedy managers only here for 5 years or so. We have made this company the successful, safe airline it is for 80 years. We will fight to keep what we have strived & toiled to build and not See it destroyed by short sighted, bonus driven management, who will drop the ball and run away when they have stripped the assets or things get tough.

QANTAS has been built to a world leading FAMILY COMPANY only to be dragged down by a few hyena management teams who will feed on the fat until it is gone and move on.

We, the people, the backbone, the workers of QANTAS are here to see it survive and continue its legacy for eons to come. We want to see the next generation prosper from our hard work not a fleeting hit and grab MOB of suits and media giants in for the short term self gratification Adrenalin hit, a new Aston Martin & Mansion in Mosman.

This is QANTAS the AUSTRALIAN company. We will not see it move off-shore nor will the Australian Government.

You are either with us, AUSTRALIA, or against US, what is it ?????

Old Fella
21st May 2008, 12:13
Since when has Qantas become a "family company"? A great company with an enviable safety record it's true, but a family company, come on. BTW, would be interested to know the DOB of Short Circuit.

jet.jackson
21st May 2008, 14:14
It was a family company until Dixon and his cronies arrived.
Now its Animal Farm

ejectx3
21st May 2008, 17:27
I agree. I am a QF driver and from a very early age I strove to achieve my dream job of QF pilot. I love the job and 99% of the people I work with both in the cockpit and cabin, and on the ground are fantastic people.

I go out of my way to go the extra mile, especially when in the terminal with passengers. But more and more I have t hang my head in shame at the sad state of staff morale and a shoddy product.

I am proud of what Qantas used to be. Not what it is. I , like the majority of Qantas staff would love to get rid of this money hungry , grubby management and try to rebuild Qantas into a great airline again.

I don't want to work for anyone else, and I want my airline to be the pride of Australia again.

Like many have said, the short term managers have no loyalty to the company and certainly dont give a crap about the staff.

I wish I knew how to change the tide as it is a crying shame. :{

jakethemuss
21st May 2008, 19:54
The CEO of Air Canada has been down three times if that means anything.

Alien Role
22nd May 2008, 04:13
ejectx3
I SAY AGAIN..........
Perhaps a Q Group wide, employee vote of no confidence in the management and their attitude towards employees!!!!!

Sunfish
22nd May 2008, 04:57
Watched the video. Narcissist in full flight using "man on a mission" voice in hectoring mode.

Insincere and pathetic.

Flugbegleiter
22nd May 2008, 07:13
I am proud of what Qantas used to be. Not what it is. I , like the majority of Qantas staff would love to get rid of this money hungry , grubby management and try to rebuild Qantas into a great airline again.

I don't want to work for anyone else, and I want my airline to be the pride of Australia again.
Absolutely agree with you ejectx! Sure, my job exists in other companies, but I have never considered doing this job for any other company. The day I leave Qantas, is the day I start a new career. We could be such a great company.

And sure, it is not a "family run business", but QF staff have always felt like family in the past. That is not the case, now, and that is very sad.

Vote of no confidence in this greedy management! With the APA debacle, maybe this wouldn't be so difficult to achieve... Anyone?

DutchRoll
22nd May 2008, 07:43
Funny you should say that. Only a few years ago it was utterly unheard of for a QF pilot to resign, or take unpaid leave, to go and work somewhere else because he had the sh*ts. I mean, the news of such an event, even involving just a single person, would spread like wildfire among the pilots.

Then something happened in the last 3 years which made two or three guys do it, followed by a handfull, followed by several handfulls. It doesn't sound much, but re-read para 1 above. Yet another mainline Captain - a top guy, and pretty young too - left just some days ago, but it hardly even rates a mention now.

My financial dependance on earning QF bikkies ends in about 2 years (with a big margin of comfort I might add), at which time I'm seriously considering leaving if a new relationship is not forged between the management and the employees. That's 20 years before retirement.

Of course, if you listened to the Chief Pilot's interview on TV, "no pilots are leaving", which was quite a gregarious and astonishing lie (and he's fully aware of it).

lowerlobe
22nd May 2008, 07:46
This sort of attitude seems to be the norm these days and probably explains the ever increasing divorce rate.

If you don't like what you have then walk away.....don't think of fixing the problem or trying to improve your situation.

Just treat your job like a disposable entity..... Funnily,that is exactly just what Darth would like...

I do agree with drdexter1975 on one thing though and that someone should certainly go somewhere else however I believe it should be someone at the top....

the dog74
22nd May 2008, 11:13
Dutch Roll,
I can not agree more. We in Sydney engineering have in the recent months had over 20 people resign, some leaving without finding a job to go to and 95% leaving the industry altogether.This, from recent memory has never happened.
I like most people on here do enjoy what I do and have wanted to do this since I was a kid, HOWEVER!!!......the state the company is in now is absolutly deplorable. Walking through that gate now you can feel the tention,misery and negativity in the air, you can cut it with a knife.

I want everyone one to realise this is not just a fight with engineering, this is a fight against every employee who gives a crap about what they do and how they go about it. I could not care less if you are a cleaner, pilot, engineer or paperwork muppet.....THIS AFFECTS US ALL!!!

Its about time we all came together again, no more conquer and divide.........Unity is the key and this is the time for it!!!!!

Knumb Knuts
22nd May 2008, 11:27
Dicko was a member of an organisation run by his close friend Turbo T, who was under the instruction of Listhpy Lipths, who also was jerking the Bedroom Bandicoot's chain.
When he (Dicko) said last week when the stupid quaintarse drivers claimed solidarity with the LAME's - "what else would you expect them to say", he was merely demonstrating his contempt for anyone other than those who occupy the Quaintarse boardroom.
Quaintarse sure isn't the airline Fysh and McGuiness founded.:8

WynSock
22nd May 2008, 11:40
When I was 3, I flew in a Vjet and was instantly hooked.:)

I spent a lot of money, time and effort and eventually got in. (nothing unusual there) I left Quaintarse recently after only a few years. It wasn't the place I expected. The aircraft are tired, the paint is fading, the interiors worn out.

Shortly after I handed back my company stuff, my dad said a funny thing.

"You chose a good time to get out."

:(

Ngineer
23rd May 2008, 07:10
Employee remuneration is resolved by an Enterprise Bargaining System in this country GD, not a "3% payrise signed off by the board". Get with the times.....