PDA

View Full Version : Assesment or medical first....

ix_touring
14th May 2008, 13:28
Hi all,

So its the chicken and egg situation:

Should you get your class 1 and then go to the skills assessments or vice versa? :confused:

2 x assessments (eg CTC and OAA) are in the same ball park as the 1st class 1 fee so doing the medical first could save you £400 odd quid if you fail on something permanent...

However, if you fail the assessment (assuming you’re not a total moron :ugh: and can improve in 6 months for a retake) your class 1 could be well on the way to being out of date before you actually join your FTC....:rolleyes:

Now for my situation:

I passed (RAF) OASC at 19/20 but didn't sign up. I'm now 34 and have a BMI of 33.2 :eek:(lard a$$! but I've lost a stone in 4 weeks :ok:so its going the right direction!). My eyes and blood pressure are all fine... so, do I bank on nothing going wrong in the 15 years since I was poked and prodded :ooh: for the forces and try to pass the assessments or should I play safe and get my bits checked again first?

Cheers
iX.

Parson
14th May 2008, 13:32
I'd get the medical out of the way first. When you know you've passed, you can concentrate on the assessments without the medical nagging in the background. You'll have to renew your class 1 annually anyway and it's not anywhere near as expensive to renew.

heli_port
14th May 2008, 14:04
I would do the medical first.

colette
14th May 2008, 14:38
Hey ix_touring,

definitely get your medical out the way first first.

Imagine if you did the assessments first and passed, but then failed your medical, you'll have blown all the cash on the assessments for nothing.

If you do the medical first and then (touch wood) fail the assessments for whatever reason, then you still have plenty of options and could still go the modular way.

The initial class 1 is pricey but definitely getting it out the way before spending anymore money on flying!

Good luck

C :)

SpamFritters
14th May 2008, 14:48
Deffo get medical first.

It is a much better feeling when you pass the assessments .... because you know it IS actually happening and there is nothing stopping you... :ok:

99jolegg
14th May 2008, 16:38
Medical first. What's the point in marginally failing CTC for example, being reinvited back in 6 months with no medical, then after all that time, realising you can't actually fly.

Prioritise. First establish that you can actually be permitted to fly commercially. Secondly, establish at which FTO you apply to.

The first thing I did before making any application was get the Class 1 medical - roughly this time last year. I'm re-applying at FTOs this summer and will have to get the medical re-validated but it's 1/3 of the original cost and I know that I'm medically fit to fly so haven't been wasting my time.

daria-ox
14th May 2008, 19:07
Do the medical first, don't think there's any point doing the assesment with the medical on your back, not knowing if you pass it!

Good Luck:ok: