PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito PR XVI 544 Squadron

Chuck_Joe
14th May 2008, 11:21
Hallo everyone

Who can help me with any information about Mosquito PR XVI NS795 of 544 Squadron who was based at Benson in 1944-1945? any information or pictures of this particularly airplane will be very useful for my research.

Many thanks

Bart

Yeltnarg
15th Oct 2009, 08:21
Hi,

This may be of very little use to you and it is over a year since you posted, but I offer the following;

My late father FLTLT Joe Burfield DFC RAAF flew with 544 squadron from 1943 to 1945. I checked his log book to see if he had flown NS795 and yes he had just once, but very briefly. The handwritten entry for 14 January 1945 shows Mosquito XVI NS795, Pilot "Self", Navigator "P/O Barron" Attempted Op. Hydraulics U/S. Flight time 0:10. This would have been their 65th operational sortie. After returning to Benson they completed Op 65 to Stutgaart region in MM307 on the same day

I can send you a scan of this page from his log book if you wish. Other details you might find of interest can be found at the following site - DH Mosquito MM244 (http://www.aircrashsites-scotland.co.uk/mosq_lochness.htm) In particular the BBC article by Neil Barron (son of P/O Barron DFM RAF) on the same page is worth a read. I am in contact with Neil who lives in the UK.

Best Regards,

Grant Burfield

Andagift
6th May 2014, 07:36
Bart
Is six years too late?
I received my fathers log books on his passing and checked to find that he flew NS 795. His log book states:
On 14 Feb 1945 with F/L Williams OPS # 30 Base - San Severo
15 Feb San Severo - Aboukir
15 Feb Aboukir - Cairo West
17 Feb Cairo West - San Severo
18 Feb San Severo - Base
I think this was a mail run. I remember my father telling me how impressed Churchil was that he got his mail and newspapers whilst he was in Egypt meeting FDR.
The cushey job did not last long. A week later on 23 Feb flying MM273 or MM283 he was shot down by a Me 262 over Mannhiem