Pay review is in!!

9% + 3%

Flight pay FO to 45 Dhs
Flight pay CPT to 60 Dhs

What are your thoughts??

MR8

145qrh
14th May 2008, 08:45
Thought it used to be effective 1st Apr, Big Al's letter is effective 1st May??

Numbers are better than some thought , worse than others.

Probably about right...

White Knight
14th May 2008, 08:47
1st May as ever 145...

GMDS
14th May 2008, 09:02
Not too bad. :}
Official inflation was around 9,3%, allthough it was upped in the news lately to 11%. Not surprisingly EK adopted the inital value, but at least it's almost what the official inflation is. As the latter very much excludes the rental influence, it should not bother most of our drivers - they are in comp acco. Hopefully EK will up the accomodation and education allowances by similarly truthful values. THEN i will give HH full credit for his remark during the "reception".
For now the glass is half full.

GMDS

SOPS
14th May 2008, 09:05
Is it on the portal or a letter at CBC?

kimoki
14th May 2008, 09:09
Probably both, I noticed I had a letter in that top box on the portal (alerts etc) and there it was.

FL XXX
14th May 2008, 09:29
Hi Guys:

Just a question? I'm about to join EK what is the average monthly take-home for a F/O in Dhs. The pay review doesn't look too bad at all.

Could anybody advise

Many thanks!:ok::ok:

helen-damnation
14th May 2008, 09:34
Nothing on the crew portal as of 13:30 DXB. :uhoh:

SOPS
14th May 2008, 09:45
It is Helen..took me a while to find it as well. Top left corner of the home page, where that new bit is about QRH ammendments and stuff, there is a letter icon there, click on it and you will have your letter..rgds SOPS

EGGW
14th May 2008, 09:47
Top left of Portal, its under the Alert bit. Click on Letter, et voila!!!!

Just about OK, not great.

EGGW

helen-damnation
14th May 2008, 10:20
Found it :O

Thanks.

Fart Master
14th May 2008, 10:56
Oh well that's inflation covered, how about a pay rise now.

WE ARE NO BETTER OFF NOW THAN WE WERE 12 MONTHS AGO:*

frankie777
14th May 2008, 12:06
I think you are right Fartmaster particularly as we are likely to get VAT on all goods by years end. However it could be worse. I personally reckoned on 10% on pay plus 3% increment so at least it is 3% better than that. I think we all kid ourselves with stories of 20% plus pay rises. This I am sure will never ever happen while we work at EK. Just remember the Tesco's company motto. "Every little bit counts".
On another subject. Anyone noticed yet another building burning merrily away down SZR by the Dubai Internet City Villa's compound. Lots of big flames on top of building with the Police and media buzzing overhead. This is the third big fire this year. Must be getting complacent me thinks.
Enjoy spending your bonus and rise. Cheers all.:D

mikehagen
14th May 2008, 12:23
Come again? How does the rise reflects on the package?

9% applied to what?

3% to what?

How does productivity pay ends looking like?

Fart Master
14th May 2008, 13:33
Eh sorry??

Ketek400
14th May 2008, 14:25
An increase in your package is exacatelly that, to curb inflation. They covered inflation and gave us another 3%. I think the increase is fair. Remember some crew are being layed off all over. This is more that all expected I think.

Payscale
14th May 2008, 15:00
Any utility allowance increase?

Check 'Six'
14th May 2008, 15:36
An average salary increase. Not complaining. I'm with GMDS. If the housing goes up by 10-20% and Schooling too! Then I will be sending in a letter of thanks to HH and the rest of the team.

Not as good as my prediction but a bit less. That's ok! I'm happy that the Instructors get that extra bit too. So all in all a happy camper.

Check 'Six':rolleyes:

bobsback
14th May 2008, 15:53
Ok! Ok! I have to say that my guess at the bonus was way off. However my guess at the pay increase was perfect! I would say that I am happy with what we have been given after the complete shafting of the CC (who are more than insulted). Ok so it is not a 12% increase 'cos I already (by contract) was having the 3% but it is welcome especially after a huge bonus.

As for me I'm gonna hang around for a little bit longer:ok:

jack schidt
14th May 2008, 16:10
All fair credit to the management on this. A good bonus and a fair payrise, well done, well judged, don't worry yourselves though, it has been just enough of a retainer, not a major overspend that you could have gotten away with paying less on and had the same reaction!

singleseater
14th May 2008, 16:42
Just had the calculator out and based on a few averages such as
550 hrs per year before overtime, (I know it varies but had to have a number)
av 3 hrs overtime per month
then this works to be 13.5 % increase. Prob just covers inflation minus the rent issue.
Hopefully the utilities and school fees will also reflect this.
Bobsback:--The 3% increment is not in my contract, never has been and never will be, it is in the HR manual. It may be in the older (>8 yrs) ones. The fact that we get it each year does not change the fact that it is subject to the same vague process as the rest of the rise.
Suspect that the level of the rise means the recruiting site was not swamped with hits after the bonus was announced
I remember AR saying in a meeting that he could not understand why experience got payed more and that his 12 yr old son could drive as well as any of us, they will pay the min they can get away with, and they will increase it in the smallest steps they can.
Still, not bad and better than I thought

disconnected
14th May 2008, 19:05
Well it covers the inflation of last year. That was 10.9% officially.

As for this year -well that leaves 1.1% to play with. Inflation over 2008 is conservatively estimated to be 15% however we all know with the increases in the first few months that the 15% is a gross underestimate. Since that estimate oil has climbed quickly and will almost certainly hit $150 before year end. Maybe sooner.

The oil prices will be transmitted into everything as all goods are dependant on oil for transportation. Especially in Dubai that doesn't grow much or produce a lot locally. There is a lag as shipping contracts precede the goods arriving on our shelves.

In a years time we will be worse off than today in real terms (what goods our money can buy)

Simple exercise: See what your new salary buys in terms of barrels of oil, ounces of gold, tonnes of rice or wheat. (A simple basket of basic goods - throw in cotton, corn, silver, steel and copper for a broader comparison.) Check what it buys a year from today and it will most definitey be less.

If inflation gets much higher here, there is a possibility of a second salary review this year. Take a place with rampant inflation in the 50-100% range: Salaries there are generally reviewed monthly to retain staff. EK might laugh at this concept but if these levels of inflation are reached they would have to, as attrition would force their hand.

If someone posts their salary over the past 8 years since 2000, I will convert it into equivalent commodities and thereby illustrate the point.

This is unlikely to be unique to Emirates however. The same exercise with a BA or SQ salary is likely to show the same result - declining value. Bonuses and flying pay should be factored in all cases. Housing, education etc should not as we are not deciding who pays the best, simply how the cash in pocket is trending.

EK are not obliged to keep salaries to a basic level of value. They will be driven by the market which illustrates one point. Aviation is a declining profession. It is largely being turned into a wage earning job and credit to EK for not being more agressive on this stance. We could have had 3% on basic and 100% on flying pay. That would be a greater increase but of far less value. If a mid term review becomes necessary they will probably increase the flying pay. Easier to manage. This would also apply to cabin crew if required.

Tough times ahead. Spend that bonus wisely. Its not an unconnected windfall. It forms part of the salary - a point EK explained to the cabin crew with their review.

harry the cod
15th May 2008, 00:46
Mullah

If school fees have risen each year, with some schools imposing substantial increases, are you saying that the Company shouldn't cover those rises? That money doesn't get 'spent' on luxury toys. It's spent to educate our 'brats' as you so eloquently put it and we don't get to see any of it. What we would get is an ever increasing debit on our take home pay if the Company didn't meet the rises.

Can I assume that your concern for the 'pot' to be evenly distributed will involve you sharing some of your 12% rise with the 5% the Cabin Crew recieved?

No,thought not! Choices my friend, choices.

Harry

Rabbitwear
15th May 2008, 03:28
All laughing at you guys , you are nothing but a pshyiatric experiment for the company. Your pay is still below average and you live in a **** hole.

GMDS
15th May 2008, 03:43
.... then the married with children guys are taking from the single/no kids guys

There they go again! :ugh::ugh::ugh:
As Harry pointed out: WE F$%#^& NEVER SEE THAT MONEY, you moron! So we cannot spend it on any toy or Russian beauty, as would be possible if it was in someone elses (i'm polite now ...) pocket.
Back home you would pay taxes, mate. With taxes they build schools, that are for free, mate! If schools cost more, taxes go up, we never see that money, but you as a freaking single pay the same taxes, mate, or even more in some places because the idea of solidarity should make you pay now for what our brats give you back later when the Russian game will no longer be possible, mate! In some places back home, the married with children even get a higher salary, mate!
Here everybody gets the same and the company provides for education, at least up to 80-90%.

So stop complaining like a spoilt single brat, mate! Concerning participation of education of kids, YOU ARE BETTER OFF HERE!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

As to the guy who wears rabbit fur: Talking about a ****hole, i was looking at your location ......

Wizofoz
15th May 2008, 04:14
Mullah,

The kids of today are the workforce that will be paying the taxes and providing the services when you are a bitter, lonely old man in a nursing home.

Aging population is a critical long term problem in all developed countries. As such, all responsible governments provide services for families, including education (even private education is subsidized in most western countries).

Emirates needs to recruit people from these countries, so providing an education for our children is simply a way of leveling the playing field, not tilting it in our favor.

Oh and Rabbit- Nice call on the bonus and pay-rise. You were passionate, certain....and completely wrong. You seem to need to convince yourself that leaving here was a good idea. Be my guest....

As for pshyiatric ... Yep, them big words sure is tough, aint they???:rolleyes:

Ramboflyer 1
15th May 2008, 05:29
Well I dont give a toss about the Pay rise.
All I wanted was a basing or something similar.
Screw the cash im off to V......................
All most every other airline has bases unfortunately I got in to the wrong one.

desert queen
15th May 2008, 05:43
Rabbitwear,

So, Nostradamus of the North, allow me to rub your furry little face in a few of your predictions:

You guys are in for a very rude shock if you think there will be any payrise.

6 weeks and no payrise , maybe a reduction in flight pay. The aviation boom cycle is always very short.

How about this one. 10% payrise but productivity doesnt start till around 90 hours.

Expect flight pay to be scrapped , no more than the 3% salary step and paid for actual hours instead of block. Thats your pay rise.

I have a friend 340 Captain for another company enquired to EK and was told in 18 months there will be DEC positions on A380.

My estimate for 2008 is around 200 pilots will leave thats 10% , thats at least 10 aircraft grounded unless they employ 700 this year.

Your psychiatrist has probably told you this already, but you spend way too much time on this site - an airline you don't even work for.

In your last attempt, you use a disparaging term for Dubai. Ironic, considering that the annual social and cultural highlight in your neck of the woods (no pun intended) is the Iditarod.

Where I come from, we have a name for people like you. It starts with a W. And you don't even have to be good at predictions to work that one out.

atiuta
15th May 2008, 05:49
Probably never seen a pyschiatrist, pyschologist perhaps when he got binned at the interview for pyschometrics.

airbus757
15th May 2008, 07:47
This example is from a 4 year captain scale.

2007/2008
basic 33500
flight pay 3510
prod pay 3255 (based on 85 hours)

total 40265.

2008/2009
basic 37610
flight pay 4680
prod pay 3675 (based on 85 hours)

total 45965.

Then 40265. Now 45965. Equals 14.2% raise or 5700.

5700x12=68400dhs or 18637 usd. To clear that in your home country you have to consider tax. If you pay 40% tax you need 31061 usd before taxes. Not a bad raise. :D

Now we wait for next year.:E

Wizofoz
15th May 2008, 07:56
Rambo,

Absolute best of luck. You've obviously not been happy here, so you're doing the right thing. Hope it all goes well.

Just don't come onto D&G in six months whinging about pay, tax, fuel or house prices!

Trader
15th May 2008, 10:22
Mullah - agree with most of what you write - not the tone of it but, hey, whatever you like.

However, you say the company shouldn't fully catar for inflation since expat pilot send money home. Why not?? First, not all send money home. More importantly, if the company wants to take that stand then it becomes an easy arguement to say that if they don't care about inflation here (due expay pilots sending money home) then they should care FULLY about exchange rates (becuase the pilot are sending money home) and adjust pay accordingly because. EK can't have it both ways!!!!! But then again, I have never heard EK make an arguement. I have only heard pilots on hear with opinions.

In the end the simple fact is that EK relies on foreign labour and skill. SO they have to counter inflation - or people leave and they have to deal with FX rates (which have the perverse effect of pushing inflation)- or people leave.

People can claim what they like about it not being the companies responsibility but the fact is, just like in any other country, the airline has to deal with all of these outside influences as best they can. It is a balancing act between pay/benefits and retention and ahppy staff. Somewhere along this sliding scale is an effiecient range of pay that keeps both side relatively happy.

So, in the end, everything is EK's responsibility to one degree or another.

Now that I am on a role I would also add that the benefits side of the pay equation could be used very effectively at EK. The added benefit of a good jump seat program are HUGE. Not because it might allow the odd guy to commute (because even JS's can not ensure a guy can commute) but becasue it would make vacations, travelling etc more effective. It would also allow you, if structured correctly, to take your wife/teen etc on a trip. You work a lot here why not take the wife on a trip everty once and a while!

A properly structured program would do a lot to improve moral and could be developed so that a strict set of rules prevents abuse. To me it is a no brainer.

There are lots of non monetary benefits that cost little but could be used effectively to 'sooth' the employees.

GMDS
15th May 2008, 10:32
Dear Mullah

...those who did try to work the system and are now crying about it.
Well, well, ... YOU were the first one to complain of not getting your part of the education pie, weren't you? Speaking about not getting it: If you think that if this pot was not directly payed to the schools, it would be evenly distributed among all pilots, then you are some selection error. It would remain in the Sheikey's pocket. Your ".... gimme, gimme, gimme" is a game these guys play way better.

Do you not see a larger value in your bank account as a result of not having to pay the full cost of schooling yourself? Obviously you do see the result of the school fees then.

No. As you so eloquently put it elsewhere: We do the same job, so at the end of the day we should have the same amount on our account. It makes no difference to you or me if i have my number of kids and you will soon have yours. Now that should seem logical and fair to the average IQ.

On one point at least, I can agree with you:

No one gives a flying f*** about how your country works back home. The reality is here.

So you might as well cope with this reality. It had been that way when you signed up.

And by the way, I did mention accomodation further up, it just takes a little reading. But you merely started whining about not getting to the education pot, while doing nothing close to education up to now (oh, yes, you'll eventually wake up and have to deliver...). So I answered to that one.

On the other hand you boast:
I can now see where the saying about a fool and his money comes from but what I don't understand is how you ever managed to come into money in the first place.
.... just to state about yourself:
we never decided to try and make money out of the system by moving out
no comment ....

Well Mullah, I for one did, and it worked just great.

Happy flying, hopefully not with me.

clevlandHD
15th May 2008, 10:40
An extra ALT would make my day! It's impossible to travel on EK (Id50's, ZEDs)so with that we could go on vacation twice a year stressfree.

Wizofoz
15th May 2008, 11:13
Muulah,

In your zeal to be right, you didn't catch the intent of what I* said.

I don't think EK could care less if my kids get educated. I was pointing out why YOU should!

I was also pointing out that, as Emirates need to recruit pilots from places where society (in the form of taxation and government expenditure) provides or at least subsidises education, Emirates has to do likewise in order to attract people with families to the company.

This has been pointed out to you every time you've embarked on this little crusade, but you've chosen to ignore it, as it might involve you listening to an alternate opinion.

Interesting to note that you too are about to join the ranks of parenthood. I assume where ever you are when your child reaches school age, you will turn down any company or government offer of financial support for their education on a point of principle, "No, that wouldn't be fair, go share it out amongst the boys!"??

SierraAlpha
15th May 2008, 19:23
Lads,

Does this change the starting salary for joining pilots?

Thanx

Wizofoz
16th May 2008, 01:00
I'll take whatever's going because that is the deal. What I WON'T do is whinge later on to the single guys that the education allowance isn't enough...........

No, you'll take it.. after whinging for years that guys with kids got it and you didn't, even though THAT WAS THE DEAL!!

Sorry, but that is rather breathtaking hypocracy.

gonoles
16th May 2008, 02:31
Hello! Could someone please explain the 9 and 3? We are hopefully interviewing this summer and are wondering what that means to first year pay? Thanks so much. Also could someone tell us what your FO bonus was this year. Thanks:)

I am sure my husband would know...but I am a wife with little airline lingo in my vocab. Thanks:D

GMDS
16th May 2008, 03:48
Actually it does make a difference; try to see the big picture: There's a limited amount of pie in the budget to be served up as reimbursement (inducement) to the pilots. For every kid one of us has, there's a little less for the guy who does not have a kid. If they took away the education allowance there'd be more cash spread around everyone as salary. Simple.

First I thought you were just a egoistic self-overrating maverick.
But reading the above shows otherwise. I pity you, but in the end it's your choice how you try to fit into society. Just bear the consequences.
One consequence applies to us, here in this society: You are definitely not suited for a cockpit with more than yourself in it. I am not mad, just analytic.

clevlandHD
16th May 2008, 04:37
Education allowance is there for you to take. Should we ask the company to cancel ALTs (with the extra money they save and share with us, those who want to travel can buy themselves tickets). Or cancel vacations because some poeple don't use them (you want leave, buy some days off from the company)?

If you don't use everything that is offered, it is your problem.

Backwater
16th May 2008, 04:57
You are definitely not suited for a cockpit with more than yourself in it.
Slightly off topic (which is probably a good thing in this case) I would suggest that someone not suited for a multicrew airplane is also not suited for a single seat airplane.
Enjoy the May payday everyone.

Wiley
16th May 2008, 05:19
gonoles, in the olden days, EK pilot contracts included a paragraph that stated that pilots would recieve an annual 3% rise in pay, or 'increment', for (I think) 15 years in each grade, (be it captain of FO). After 15 years, these increments would stop. (It's a sort of backhanded recognition of seniority payment.)

I understand that in current contracts, mention of the increment has disapperaed. However, with one notable exception a few years ago, the company has usually honoured the 3% increment, and continue to do so.

So, everyone (who's a pilot) got a 9% pay rise as of May and their 3% increment. If you husband is coming in as a new start, he can expect his starting pay to be 9% higher than what he was told it would be when he was interviewed.

Everyone will agree that's good news. It also an unfortunate fact that he'll/you'll need that extra 9% if you're going to live on anything more than baked beans for the first 12 months here. Prices of everything are rising at a truly alarming rate.

brabazon2
16th May 2008, 14:06
The pay rise is as expected and predicted by many but not sufficient to retain many experienced pilots. Don't forget ATC got about 70%!
Given the current state of inflation it is at best 'treading water'.
The recipe to retain experienced pilots is basing out of Dubai. What a :mad::mad: :mad:hole

PITA
16th May 2008, 16:09
Wow boys and girls,

Have been reading the thread so far and have been saddened at the lack of self worth being portrayed.

I am more than in agreement that there should be basing outside of the Sandpit. Please sign me up for the first basing.

Unfortunately, I have been here for a few years, and do not yet see a vision of allowing pilots to be based where they want to live. (and these guy's in charge " LOVE" to have a vision)

Does any one else see this?

We can achieve this if, and only IF, we stand together, and DO NOT accept the terms as put forth by the companies who are doing the hiring.

Now back to reality.

Does anyone here see that happening?....

Anyone please............?

We are truly our own worst enemies.

I like to read these threads to find out how the rest of the industry is doing. I made my choice to come over here to the Sandpit, and will have to abide by that decision.
Like it or not, I am stuck, as the rest of you with that decision, and will deal with it as best as I can.
(Yes there are such things as Dubai days, Qatar, Abu Dhabi , Bahrain ,Jeddah, etc.) but we persevere.

I made my move from the states.
Is it the best I can hope for? Only time will tell us that one.
It is better than where I came from? ( sadly yes.)

I did not want to come 6000 miles away from home, nor did most everyone else here. I am not alone in that decision. But I deal with it.

Now, what do WE as Pilots do to make this better?

There is a vast amount of knowledgeable people here reading these forums. Why can not we actually use the knowledge here for our own benefit, instead of just capitulating to the airlines who hire us?

Is this forum a BITCH session, or can we use it to our advantage?

Can we as a group, realize that we actually have something to bring to these airlines other than being ...(.God forbid for the lack of a better phrase) drivers, and be recognized for more than just another pretty face up front?

I leave that question open.

Go ahead and call me naive if you wish, but who is going to make the first step.......?

I can almost guarantee, it is not going to be the companies we work for.

Why the HELL should they?

Now let us have a real debate.
Bring on some good ideas that we can live with, instead of just going along with the flow.

They only have the power we give them.

PITA

atiuta
16th May 2008, 19:12
Pita

Sadly, I think you were serious with your call to the picket line. Am I worried about you? Yes.

The reality is that no one has capitulated to any airline, rather a case of legislation and the inability to form an association. Blame the government if you like, or more appropriately the individual who sought employment here without seeking the facts or chosing to ignore them. i.e. look in the mirror.

I'd rather not debate a meaningless topic on this forum, go pour yourself a LIT and chill.

fatbus
17th May 2008, 06:09
Basings, personnally dont see it happening. If it ever did you would have to be very very senior to hold it, unless you were a US DEC and a buddy of ED's/

TC did mention no basings at this time, did not say never.

EK will use BA/SIA/QF as examples of no basings. Note SIA is doing away with the basings all new contracts back in SIN.

Wizofoz
17th May 2008, 08:15
United does not have bases in Sydney or Glasgow.
BA does not have bases in New York or Auckland
Qantas does not have bases in LA or Warsaw....

The idea that EK should offer to base pilots "where they want to live" as some sort of magnanimous favor is ridiculous.

They will base pilots outside of Dubai when either (or both) it is the only way to attract and retain enough qualified people or it is economically prudent to do so as it cuts the costs of accommodation and provides a reserve coverage at a remote hub.

Personally I think it is inevitable that this will happen eventually. The cost of housing people in Dubai is becoming ever more difficult and expensive, the network is becoming more extensive, and I don't know of any airline that has 450 aircraft operating out of one base. I wouldn't think it would be closer than five years away, however.

Till then, the fact is we signed on with a Middle-eastern airline, so where did you expect to have to live?

mensaboy
18th May 2008, 21:34
I will go on record stating that Basings will not happen at EK in the next 10 years.

It simply will not happen for a myriad of reasons.

And I am someone who would do back-flips on Shk Zayed Road if it ever happened. I just cannot see the positives ever coming close to the negatives (from a company POV) of such a policy. The DEMAND vs SUPPLY equation for pilots will never reach a point that it is a requirement. When it comes close, they will simply dip into the 1.5Billion USD profit and up the salary as a last resort.
Look at the difficulties of recruiting in the past 4 years and consider the company's response. They do the minimum required to keep the wheels in motion. Basings would be the maximum, so anyone thinking this will happen in the foreseeable future is..... in my opinion.... deluded.

Even the company has been consistent and clear on the point of basings. (something a little unusual for them) They have never even hinted at such things, and in fact have affectly quashed rumours at the onset.

Ranger321
19th May 2008, 12:35
I believe the EK FO take home pay is $7222 USD including flight pay if you fly 80 hours. A friend of mine was just looking at this last week.

dirty deeds
19th May 2008, 13:47
Rambo,

You may be happier living back in AUS but I can guarantee you wont enjoy V.............ask any ex VB driver at EK over a beer what its like to work for a V company. Then get back to me. Enjoy your paxing in economy to re-position to LAX and your meal out of a card board box. Grass is not always greener. And yes, please don't winge on DG site in 12 months. Please.

Ramboflyer 1
20th May 2008, 03:53
Well being with my family and watching my kids grow up in a normal environment is worth more than any crap V will throw at me. There shouldnt be any deadheading to LA as the same aircraft operates return flights.
Taxes, well good benefits flow from them. In Dubai you can pay 250 t0 300 K for a family villa if you had to pay this that would be a very big tax on your salary and what do you get , a house that would cost you about 60k to rent back home. EK is an OK job but its a big compromise if it splits your family.

middlepath
20th May 2008, 07:37
wizofoz

I know cx has bases in Australia, London and USA for the same reason you have mentioned. I think nothing wrong basing crews in diffrent locations when it makes economic sense, cx used to base all in HKG and spent a lot on housing. Major carries in the states have several bases.

We can not compare living condition of Australia,North America and Europe to ME.Basing outside DXB will save money for the company and many many happy crew is win win situation. Atleast one base in Europe will be big relief.:)

saywhat
20th May 2008, 08:17
Just remember that if you are based outside the UAE, you might have to pay tax in the country that you are based in. As far as I'm aware that is how it works in places like Cathay Cargo.

middlepath
20th May 2008, 09:25
saywhat

regarding tax, it depends on how you setup. If 180 days away from place of residence and pay goes to offshore a/c you are ok. worked fine for last 7 years for my colleagues.

Dropp the Pilot
20th May 2008, 12:04
at least for Canadians and I believe Kiwis as well:

If a Canadian's wife and kids move home to Canada he is liable for full Canadian tax on his entire pay package and the yield of any offshore investments, even if he never personally returns to Canada again in his life.

Canadian tax law makes the judgement that:

-everyone is resident somewhere
-the first question asked in deciding which is your personal country of residence is the location of your family.

disconnected
21st May 2008, 07:55
Dubai's diesel prices hit record

United Arab Emirates: Tuesday, May 20 - 2008 at 14:24

"Diesel prices in Dubai yesterday hit a record Dhs17 ($4.63) per gallon, an increase of Dhs1.20 from Dh15.80 a few days ago, reported Gulf News. The diesel price at Dubai filling stations is currently almost 100% higher than at Abu Dhabi National Oil Co (Adnoc) stations in the capital and northern emirates, where it is Dhs8.6 per gallon. "

The pay increase will be wiped out within 4 months. Just this one step on Diesel is 7.6%. There have already been other steps this year.

All this has yet to filter through into the general inflation but against all this, the salary review simply ensured cheaper pilots for the next year.

I cannot believe there are actually pilots who were happy with their increase. Questionable judgement....

Fart Master
21st May 2008, 10:33
Couldn't agree more, the bonus was a sham wrt what we should be getting re: salaries etc.:ok:

Red Hackle
24th May 2008, 06:24
In the last week since the payrise was announced, I have already been notified of significant increases in Levy, aircon, water, electricity, effectively almost cancelling the effect of the payrise, never mind the rest that will also follow suite.
After always having been fairly optimistic about things here I think it's over now. The greed is amazing never mind the ever worsening danger on the roads.

Wiley
24th May 2008, 07:49
Just received an email from a friend who's moving his business, including workshop and showrooms, to far smaller quarters way further out. The landlord has upped the rent on his original place by almost 100%.

7% rent cap? Only for some...

Heard that many, including quite a few locals, have been issued with 'evacuation orders' from that part of Satwa between SZR and Wasl Al to make room for Dubai's (about to be created) 'Manhattan'.

5star
24th May 2008, 08:01
Disconnected,

Hope you don't own a diesel in DXB... (I don't know anyone driving a diesel).
6.6 for Special last time I topped. Keeps the smile on my face :)

Let's see when the government reviews the price on gas. Might be a major shocker for all SUV fans when they do it.

EGGW
24th May 2008, 08:08
Have heard that the Government of DXB villas near Satwa are for the chop, as part of that development Wiley.

More accomodation woes are in order.....

EGGW

disconnected
25th May 2008, 07:01
5 Star

I dont own a diesel and if I did that would be the least of the issues.
My point is practically everything you buy in Dubai is transported by diesel.

All goods and services purchased in Dubai have to rise steeply simply to adjust to its transport costs. And thats ignoring the background inflation before oil prices started this rapid escallation.

Remember inflation was 9.6% when oil was at $60 per barrel. What will it be with a 100% increase in the fuel for every ship, truck and aircraft bringing the stuff into and around Dubai?

And yes petrol is going up again shortly. Standby....