PDA

View Full Version : Air Asia X's next "Aussie Move"

flyer_18-737
14th May 2008, 05:41
So London Stanstead around March08, but there is an Australian destination, to be utilized by a new A330, starting In Aug-Oct

I know AVV or MEL were in for the announcement about 3weeks ago, but it got holted as AirAsia got a new proposal

Just wondering from any insiders when/ and where is their next place. I know their building something at AVV currently?

qantel
14th May 2008, 05:51
There keepn really quiet! Spoke to a mate at Willy and with the new apron capable of handling a330 he thinks once a week is being negotiated.

flyer_18-737
14th May 2008, 06:00
yes, they are keeping it quiet, a bit too quiet. I would be expecting an announcement over the next 2weeks

flyer_18-737
14th May 2008, 22:42
"AIR ASIA X" IS off to PERTH

Press Release at 12.30pm (AEST), in KL

(also appears on the drop down menu in booking engine)

apacau
14th May 2008, 23:23
mmm I for one would be surprised to see them use the A330 to Perth when it's well within A320 range from KUL - would be a good overnight aircraft utilisation. Why run when you can walk?

flyer_18-737
14th May 2008, 23:29
Yeah, but they dont have X-tra long seats

Skystar320
14th May 2008, 23:56
mmm I for one would be surprised to see them use the A330 to Perth when it's well within A320 range from KUL - would be a good overnight aircraft utilisation. Why run when you can walk?

Why when you consider Perth is a busy internatinoal airport for the size comparisement.

4 x PER - SIN = SQ
2 x PER - SIN = TT

You may find that the A320 ops may be payload restricted

Ex FSO GRIFFO
15th May 2008, 01:31
From this morning's ABC Radio 720 program, (Perth)

Air Asia X holding press conference in Perth this morning to announce flights commencing
2nd November PH - KL with connections to 'all over' Asia / Europe.

Fares to be announced to be around 50% LOWER than current 'Legacy Fares'.
(Quote)
Fares when advertised will be fully inclusive of taxes / surcharges etc
i.e. No Asterisk........

Thats the guts of it.

I guess we will wait & see........

Cheers:ok:

dodgybrothers
15th May 2008, 01:50
Sweet. That means JQ should be opening base there next week to try and negate.

flyer_18-737
15th May 2008, 03:20
Jq are not going to just ignore this move, Pretty sure they will do a SYD-KLIA sale tommorow(they better, cause I wanna book)

Flights are 6 Weekly from 2nd November, then Daily from March2009
Fares start at $99 one way(inclusive of taxes), from 2am 16th May

apacau
15th May 2008, 03:20
Apparently 6 weekly flights from early November with introductory $99 fares PER-KUL.

flyer_18-737
15th May 2008, 03:50
on http://www.thewest.com.au/Index.aspx AirAsia is advertising their product all over the page, and it says "Book now", but people are telling me no sale fares till midnight KLIA time????

lc_461
16th May 2008, 09:27
PERTH has trumped Victoria as the second Australian destination for Kuala Lumpur-based low-cost carrier AirAsia X.
AirAsia X, which already flies to the Gold Coast, launched its Perth services yesterday with a 5000-seat sale at $99 one-way.
It will start services in November with six flights a week, increasing to daily services in March.
The airline had earlier been expected to choose Avalon, near Geelong, or Melbourne's Tullamarine as its second Australian port. But AirAsia X chief executive Azran Osman-Rani said the airline was unable to complete negotiations in Victoria before the delivery of the first of its new 390-seat Airbus A330s.
"Avalon still has a way to go in terms of them getting everything set up for them to operate as an international terminal," he said. "Tullamarine has an equally interesting proposal but we do need to finalise some details with them. That could very well be the next destination, but we thought, we've got a plane coming in November and we've got to find a home for it and with the others not quite ready, we'd fly to Perth first."
Unlike the situation on the Gold Coast, AirAsia X faces stiff competition in Perth from other Asian carriers, including low-cost rival Tiger Airways.
Jetstar is also planning to use Perth as a hub for narrow body international operations.
Mr Osman-Rani said he expected the route to be a challenge but he believed AirAsia X's low fares would win out.
"We'll give it a go," he said. "We're looking forward to it and we're starting with $99 and we'll just stick to $99 if that's what it takes."
As well as its two Australian routes, AirAsia X operates five direct return flights a week between Kuala Lumpur and Hangzhou in China and is eyeing routes to Europe.
It also connects with Kuala Lumpur-based network of sister low-cost carrier AirAsia, which has more than 100 routes in the ASEAN region.
The West Australian Government, which helped broker the deal with AirAsia X, estimates the new service could inject almost $100 million into the local economy in its first year.
Tourism Minister Sheila McHale said Malaysia was already one of Western Australia's top inbound markets, with almost 40,000 visitors each year spending $157 million.
"With AirAsia X having the broadest low-cost carrier route network in Southeast Asia and China, the airline is expected to bring an additional 40,000 international visitors to WA in the first year," she said.
Mr Osman-Rani, who will be addressing a Tourism Futures conference next month, said low-cost carriers were helping boost in-bound tourism to Australia.
He said 65 per cent of passengers on the airline's Gold Coast service were now from Southeast Asia or China.
"We're probably looking at closer to 50-50 for Perth," Mr Osman-Rani said. "We're doing extensive marketing in Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam and China - big full-page ads saying come to Perth via Kuala Lumpur - and that's pretty much where we're going to get the volume."
Asked about the impact of high fuel prices, the airline executive said this was a challenge for all airlines, and AirAsia X would try to maintain its position of being 40-50 per cent cheaper than a full service carrier.

Taildragger67
18th Jul 2008, 12:11
before the delivery of the first of its new 390-seat Airbus A330s.

390 punters in an A330?! :eek:

Skystar320
18th Jul 2008, 13:03
next move, AirAsia is going to call australia home AirAustraliaAsia :}:}

confirm-finals?
19th Jul 2008, 13:45
Can hold 440 but would you want it too?

Skystar320
19th Jul 2008, 13:56
just hope your sitting next to a nice person :=:=:=:= Kepp your hands to yourself!

porch monkey
21st Jul 2008, 10:01
For the sake of 40%, I'll pay for the leg and arm room thanks

Selfloading
21st Jul 2008, 14:50
31 inch seat pitch, same as Qantas, B.A etc, I'll save the $100s thanks :ok:

porch monkey
21st Jul 2008, 23:25
31 inches? They can all bash that up their holes for that kind of trip. At $99, at a claimed 50% cheaper, you aren't saving $100's.

Selfloading
22nd Jul 2008, 06:24
You can get from Australia to Kuala Lumpur for $200 on a full service airline with better the 31 inch seat pitch?

Tell me the name of the airline coz I'm gonna book with them right now.

porch monkey
22nd Jul 2008, 08:30
In case you missed it, I said I wouldn't do it, even for that saving. Obviously your standards differ from mine.

Selfloading
22nd Jul 2008, 08:53
OK it was a simple question, but I guess I'll have to ask it again $99 is a cheap fare to K.L you tell me its not hundreds of dollars cheaper than other airlines, where are these other cheap flights so I can book with them?