PDA

View Full Version : IS GLADIATOR A SECURITY RISK?

Kaptin M
30th Aug 2000, 16:34
Having just reviewed the Fedex attempted hijack of Flight 705, on April 7th, 1994, by one of their F/E's - Auburn R. Calloway - I couldn't help but draw parallels between him, and Gladiator.

For example, Calloway, during his more than 20 years employment with Fedex, kept documented evidence, by way of names and dates, of every "run-in" he had with different Captains, and the Company. He felt persecuted and dis-advantaged, until one day he decided that he would hijack, and crash, a DC10 into Fedex's Memphis HQ's.

Although Calloway was employed by Fedex at the time, and was thus able to obtain an foc, it would be just as easy for anyone who intended revenge, to purchase a ticket [eg. Gladiator on SQ] and adopt similar tactics. For security reasons, I don't wish to - and won't - amplify how, as I'm sure most aircrew have a reasonably good idea about the limitations on airport security.

Just as Gladiator sees it fit to raise concerns about SIA's, supposed deficiencies, ad nauseum, I also believe that his PUBLIC outpourings - at times extremely emotive - should be ringing alarm bells with NOW, rather than "after the event".

nice_beaver
30th Aug 2000, 18:10
Posting for the sake of posting?

ironbutt57
30th Aug 2000, 19:37
kaptin = diahrrea medicine...somehow i don't see gladiator riding on singapore, i feel the same way as i have many friends that fly/have flown there as cockpit crew, and all strongly advise against it...so i would think that we are all secure...unless we travel on the airline you fly for, as since it seems impossible for you to understand that a contract must be kept by both parties, how possibly could you safely understand anything as complex as operating an aircraft?

I'd rather
30th Aug 2000, 19:49
Sorry to take the thread off track slightly, but it's a security related issue - can anyone shed any light on the thread re "Aviation medicine in the middle east..." on the Rumours and News forum?
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum1/HTML/009614.html

sounds like there are some disturbed individuals out there

Gladiator
30th Aug 2000, 22:06
Nice try Kaptin M.

The flight engineer in your story fits more the description of the ill-fated SilkAir Captain.

I think SIA better worry about gamblers like TT or Captain Balagoppal (hell to spell) which show up for duty while exhaling alcohol fumes.

The facts are that I have and will continue to post the legal documents in the Singapore Airlines vs. Gladiator legal case in the US.

Every individual has the right to know about the truth. The truth in this case and at this moment is very much what has been documented in the court of law.

In late September early October 1997 I was sitting in my living room in Singapore watching the local Singapore news. In the news there was talk about Singapore Airlines vs. Mike DeMarco case, an American pilot that no longer wished to be an employee of Singapore Airlines. This was followed by an Flight International article. In both cases SIA had announced that Mike DeMarco had lost to SIA in a US court over an employment contract dispute to the tune of approx US $205,000.

Having the benefit of living in the same State as Mike DeMarco, I obtained all the court documents by the way of freedom of information act, involving Singapore Airlines vs. Mike DeMarco case.

It became clear that there was no court contest in this case. The case was settled out of court. SIA and the Singapore media (FI probably got conned) lied and misinformed the whole world.

I on the other hand have and will continue to post every word, VERBATIM, in the Singapore Airlines vs. Gladiator case. These are public information and available through the Federal Court system in the US to any individual regardless of nationality.

The readers whether SIA pilots or members of flying public can draw their own conclusion. This has caused great pain for many individuals. Amongst them many SIA pilots and a few of Singapore government propoganda agents such as Kaptin M which surf the net 24 hrs looking for any issue anti-Singapore.

The lack of information or in most cases the wrong information has always painted a rose garden when it comes to Singapore and in this case Singapore Airlines.

Gladiator's legal posts in the eyes of the Singapore system are unacceptable and paint the wrong picture. Nevertheless they exist and are permanent record.

SIA pilots have to accept the realities of this situation. Part of the legal details in fact involves many of the SIA pilots.

As an example reference is made to times when SIA Captains (not all of them, but majority) are suppose to be present in the cockpit when in fact they may be sleep where they are not suppose to be. In the interest of safety please be more serious and professional. Just because the cockpit door is closed does not mean you have the right to cheat the public of the safety they assume the carrier will provide.

B747-400 and A-340 Captains and First Officers are very well aware of what I am refering to.

This improper and unsafe system of operation was created (very much a grey area and based on, "who is going to tell")in order for SIA to maximize profits. Amongst other issues, the following paragraph is an example from the Singapore Airlines vs. Gladiator, Part 3 Far East Forum, (for additional background, see Part 1 and 2):

(c) Counterclaim plaintiffs - 16. On several flights occuring during 1992 through 1997, XXX was required to operate in capacities for which he was not trained, licensed or qualified. In some instances, XXX was required to operate in the Pilot-in-Commands's duty station (left pilot seat) without proper training or licensing, while the Pilot-in-Command took inflight relief in a seperate bunkroom for one-third of the flight time. In other cases, XXX was required to operate in the right pilot seat and assume the responsibilities of the Pilot-in-Command, for which he was not licensed or qualified, while another unqualified Co-Pilot moved into the Pilot-in-Command's duty station (the left pilot seat) for one-third of the flight time because the Pilot-in-Command was taking inflight relief in a seperate bunkroom. End

While the Captain takes relief/rest, it is cheaper for SIA to have an unqualified co-pilot (may not hold license for that capacity $300 per month less pay. Not trained in the left hand seat, SIA saves millions in training and testing) take the Captain’s seat than pay another Captain to take the Captain’s seat.

I understand that SIA pilots take pride in their profession and the wings they wear.

But please do not forget that SIA (Singapore government) is trigger happy when it comes to "taking legal action". All I am doing is stating facts to defend myself and in the process the life I save may be Kenny Naboo or Kaptin M's family.

May be SIA needs to think twice before dragging it's laundry into public view.

Meanwhile the propoganda officers of SIA/Singapore government are free to post as many posts as they wish to show that Gladiator is maladjusted, has character flaws, is crazy, dangerous, security risk, or any other garbage they can think of.

The ink on the documents are permanent ink.

Farside
31st Aug 2000, 04:52
Following is a paragraph out of Gladiator’s response
“As an example reference is made to times when SIA Captains (not all of them, but majority) are suppose to be present in the cockpit when in fact they may be sleep where they are not suppose to be. In the interest of safety please be more serious and professional. Just because the cockpit door is closed does not mean you have the right to cheat the public of the safety they assume the carrier will provide.”
Just for the record Gladiator are you now stating that the majority of the SIA Captains are unprofessional and are cheating the public on safety matters. Please no rambling answers just a yes or no.

Kangar
31st Aug 2000, 11:35
Gladiator,
I still cannot understand why you do not attempt to reign in some support from the newspapers, so far your documentation seems impressive, as long as you post here, the info will remain privy to a small group of SIA lovers/haters. By utilising some more general consumption media, the public's attention will be captured more easily. I know the internet is a global medium, but how many people visit this message board? You'd fare a lot better by getting some wider coverage. I have no real views on what is being said, but to be fair, not only will you reach a wider audience in the papers, it bolsters the credibility of your stories considerably, after all, how many people really heed what they see on the message boards of a rumour network?

Farside
31st Aug 2000, 11:48
Patience Patience Kangar. The Gladiator is writing a book, so just wait a while and you can get it in the Borders $1 dollar tray.

Gladiator
31st Aug 2000, 22:10
Kangar all in good time. Thanks anyway.

Kaptin M
1st Sep 2000, 01:24
Yes Kangar, all in good time - it's ONLY been 3 years to date, and Glad still hasn't got past the introduction,

"Once upon a time...."

But maybe it's the movie he's making, that's taking up all his time,lol :) :)

Gladiator, answer Farside's question:
"Just for the record Gladiator are you now stating that the majority of the SIA Captains are unprofessional and are cheating the public on safety matters. Please no rambling answers just a yes or no."

titan
1st Sep 2000, 04:53
I suppose what Gladiator is saying is that the majority of SIA Captains do as they are told by their employer.
By law, an employee is an extension of the company, and what the employee does is what the company does ie liability for the employee is with the company. The company has a legal responsibility to maintain a safe work practice and to not direct employees to perform illegal activities. The majority of the onus is on the company. So the company must be 100% proficient with the laws that govern its operation which, in this particular case, is the CAAS and ICAO regulations and orders. In order to save money and maximise profits (to which it crows so loudly about) SIA did not comply with its legal obligations.

titan
1st Sep 2000, 05:03
Gladiator:
Is TT "Tony the Terminator"? Is this the same guy that lost 13 million dollars gambling and then had to sell his ten million dollar house? If it is and he still continued to fly then I wonder if he got any special inerest like stress counselling. I would have thought that a Chief Pilot would lead by Example.
I suppose, that if it is alright for a Chief Pilot to exhibit this type of behaviour then the poor souls on the Silkair Suicide flight didn't really stand a chance from the very beginning, did they?
Hey M, do all those squillions in the pay packet that you purport to have seen , mean diddly-squat if $13 million can be p*ssed against the wall in a gambling frenzy?

Farside
1st Sep 2000, 05:20
Titan are you now answering for the great Gladiator, or is the yes or no question perhaps a hard one to answer. Just to refresh here is the question again,

"Just for the record Gladiator are you now stating that the majority of the SIA Captains are unprofessional and are cheating the public on safety matters. Please no rambling answers just a yes or no."

titan
1st Sep 2000, 06:04
Farside:
Is this part of your penance after the big apology the other day?
"ah, Flirst Officer Farside, you will say ah much good ah things for SIA many many times on ah ah Pprune site or you will be made to be ah vlery vlery sorry"

Hey Galdiator, any idea who balled Farside out?

Farside
1st Sep 2000, 08:38
Titan I start to feel sorry for you, or is youre single braincell on loan to Gladiator?

haole
3rd Sep 2000, 06:26
gentlemen as i see it let the truth come out (if and when) and then we shall see,if not nothing to get excited about in my humble opinion.

GA_Stinks
3rd Sep 2000, 08:31
I have read with interest the ongoing saga between SIA and Gladiator. This is a public forum and Gladiator has every right to tell his story, all these people who want him to stop posting should quit providing him with ammunition to come back with!
Name calling is for kids, let him have his say and get on with life. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif
G.A_S