PDA

View Full Version : Budget - Infrustructure doesn't include air...

flog
13th May 2008, 11:43
From tonight's AFR website budget analysis.

"Treasurer Wayne Swan said the government would put $20 billion over two years into a Building Australia Fund, to be spent on new roads, rail, ports and broadband across the country."

Apparently the internet is in more need of assistance than the aviation industry.

Pah.

Flog.

Lasiorhinus
13th May 2008, 12:18
"Treasurer Wayne Swan said the government would put $20 billion over two years into a Building Australia Fund, to be spent on new roads, rail, ports and broadband across the country."

Its a start :ok:

Chimbu chuckles
13th May 2008, 12:42
I guess building water storage/transport infrastructure like dams and pipelines doesn't gel with their ideology.

But then again that couldn't be as important as helping young people pick a mobile phone plan (Gilliard) or invest in high tech to invent something already invented (Rudd-bionic eye).

Air Ace
13th May 2008, 12:52
Unemployment will rise to 4.7%, inflation will reduce to 3.5%.........

No concessions on the sacred cow of fuel taxes.

To all those in aviation who kissed the ground after the Election - Kevin forgot you tonight! :bored: To every major airline captain in Australia - welcome to the means test on your Family Benefits and increased taxes on your luxury cars! :ugh:

About the only thing that will take off will be interest rates.

http://www.pprune.org/images/3flypigs.gif

Capt Wally
13th May 2008, 13:03
ahhh no they won't fiddle with fuel taxes, that's the golden goose!

With a country around the same physical land mass size as the States one has to wonder why we have an almost third world aviation system to support the joint. Unfortunetly it's probably the fact that few live here in this huge country (way less than 1/10th the States) & there are not enough tax revenue from the workers amongst us to go around.

More taxes from the few for more to spread around, how long is that 'dogs' tail'?

That "RUDDer" better be pointing straight!

CW

Gearupandorrf
13th May 2008, 13:08
was the fact that there was not much talk about actually SOLVING skills shortages with expenditure (investment) in the training of Australians within the industries that the shortages exist, but rather that skilled migration will be increased to approx. 132,000 over the next year alone.

As someone who will shortly hold a CPL/ MECIR/ ATPL's, that's not what I wanted to hear.

Maybe I'm reading into something that's not there, but I just hope that in the next 18- 24 months (when I hope I'll be looking for a Regional job), I don't miss out because a 457'er was happy (and APPROVED) to do the job for less.

Anyone else notice?

Air Ace
13th May 2008, 13:14
"...skilled migration will be increased to approx. 132,000 over the next year alone."

Almost a doubling of the present annual number of 457 Visas. :E