PDA

View Full Version : Where do I start?

chchflyboy
13th May 2008, 06:06
OK so I've been doing the great experience of spending $65,000 gaining my CPL, IFR rating and Multi-Engine Rating... soon to finish with only 250 hrs. (All done in New Zealand), So- Now what?!

Some people 'graduating' with me are spending an extra $20,000 to get an Instructor rating, but most are in the same boat as me.

Any ideas? Good places to start? Countries? Companies?
Im willing to go anywhere, fly charter anything to start really- Just don't have the thousands to build my hours up out of my pocket. Anything will help, thanks.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
13th May 2008, 07:36
I don't mean to be funny, but I cannot believe you have taken on the responsibilty and commitment of getting your professional pilot licence without researching your options? :eek:

For most people, when they decide to take on this mountain to climb they have a careful plan set down which they follow to fufil their ambitions, before and after their training. One thing I would do, is do some solid research. In a nutshell, you have various options. As you mentioned you could teach, however, and as you also mentioned this costs money. The other option is you can apply to every airline under the sun. Again, as you said, with your level of experience you will find it difficult to get a job, but its not impossible, some people are lucky. I am not sure what the requirements are in NZ, but flying single pilot IFR charter is not an option to low hour guys. In the UK you need 700 hours, and x amount of twin time.

One thing I would say is try and keep current. Good luck with it.

chchflyboy
13th May 2008, 09:42
Well I have done some research, I know the NZ/Australia requirements are the same so I can instruct or fly there, but there are more and more pilots coming out of australia with obvious first choice, so I want to look international, and know all about JAA and various country requirements, and doing my ATPL here in New Zealand, or overseas if it permits, which I'll have to do after I start working anyway, (gotta live and need the 1500hrs)- I have New Zealand citizenship and a Dutch Passport, helping my European living options, etc etc etc
However, Most people reading these have gone and done it themselves- like yourself I imagine, and know a sh*t load more than me, have experience and contacts, so I'm really after some insight, tips you could say.
Obviously my aim is commercial, eventually captain- but you got to start somewhere!

Cheers