PDA

View Full Version : Dear KaptinM

titan
1st Mar 2001, 04:18
I apologise if you feel threatened by my term "your goose is cooked". What I meant by that term is that you are very open and forthcoming with eveyone elses details but never divulge anything of your own. I and a few others know who you are and what you do but please notice how we have never divulged this information here; we don't consider it ethically correct. Maybe it is just that we were brought up different?

Now as far as Dragon Lady is concerned, this "lady" is infamous throughout the aviation industry, sought of like Chuck Yeager is famous, and please note that I never identified her. But here is a story that happened on my interview course:

About fifteen of us hopefuls filed into the room set aside for the psyche tests and were waiting for someone to attend us. Eventually the Dragon Lady appeared, walked into the room and before even taking a seat pointed at one of the gentleman and said "what are you doing here!?" He didnt understand and it was obvious that not only was he confused but very embarrassed. She continued pointing and said "your eyes are no good, you wear glasses, you should never have made it this far!!! we don't want you here". Incidentally, this person went on to far better things with another airline that didnt have "Dragon" type personality costs of production.
Comical if it wasnt so serious. The irony is that there aren't too many SIngaporeans that DONT wear glasses. Now what is that term about pots and kettles?

Gladiator
1st Mar 2001, 07:03
Come on now everyone knows the dragon lady. I would use the term 'pit bull' myself. Her dragon personality did not bother me, what did bother me was the fact that you could not get past the door without her trying to sell you something, umbrellas, raffle tickets, etc.

"Hey, you, XXX, come here, buy this, you want or not, don't want, why don't want?".

And one more thing Kaptin M, if you are from the days of Teh HH, it means that you are an SIA very old timer. Hell Teh HH was chief pilot on the COMET. That explains why your view and our view of SIA does not match.

BTW, Teh HH does not like the British because his daughter lives in England, oopps, good time to stop.......

Kaptin M
1st Mar 2001, 11:05
The point is, titan, possibly everyone inside SQ [past, present, and probably even she] knows to whom the name refers, however a public forum isn't the place to denigrate the lady. If you ever read the Dunnunda/Godzone forum, you can probably find my entire aviation life history [nothing special at all, in fact] in various posts - nothing clandestine, but thanks for the apology, the gesture is appreciated.

Gladiator, HH was flying the 743 during the early '90's.

Lee
1st Mar 2001, 15:27
Titan,

Was Teh HH's christian name "Charlie"?

BAE146
4th Mar 2001, 06:27
No...it was Phil - and you should all be careful about trying to identify persons on hearsay from rumour mongers. titan has no idea.

Lee
4th Mar 2001, 17:22
Gladiator,

Was the Dragon lady formerly from Hong Kong?

WLT
4th Mar 2001, 19:28
Hi all,

Back home again.

First, the dragon lady is actually a very nice person and she was never from HK. Maybe some of you met her on a wrong day.

Second, Charlie is Charlie and Phil is Phil. Charlie Chan is the first DFO of SQ and also the first person in Singapore to receive a UK CAA ATPL. He started as a radio officer for the DC3 in the 60s. I have great respect for that man although I have never met him before.

Lee,

Sorry, I said I am gonna avoid you. Later.

Lee
4th Mar 2001, 19:54
WLT,

So did you buy umbrellas, raffle tickets, etc from the Dragon lady?

You said she was a nice lady...

WLT
5th Mar 2001, 20:10
Lee,

I sure did see her and no I did not buy any tickets or umbrellas from her! Leave the lady out of the picture. Sometimes, I really hope to know you a little better. I would like to give you a pat on your shoulders. Maybe in a few years. Take care and remember to keep up the high standards.

Lee
6th Mar 2001, 07:02
WLT,

Did you mean "someday" or "sometimes" (...I really hope to know you a little better..)?

[This message has been edited by Lee (edited 06 March 2001).]