PDA

View Full Version : Argyll Air Service - Oban and Coll/Colonsay

theyounglaird
12th May 2008, 15:40
I was hoping that we could receive any useful updates on the upcoming airservice linking Coll and Colonsay to Oban. I have read all the wild talk relating to the council and Paul Keegan etc. This is of no real interest to me. What we would like to know is things such as the following :

When is the CAA inspections of Coll and Colonsay? I belive they are due in May.
Are the issues all sorted now at Oban relating to licensing?
Is there any indication of the timetables? Will the Coll service be linked to Tiree?
How much will it cost to fly?
Will the Coll and Colonsay runways be manned all the time or only when Highland Airways are due in? Will it be deserted when I fly just before dusk?
Where is the Highland Airways Islander and the pilot?

It would be great to keep it all positive!

stocker
12th May 2008, 16:26
Having been to Coll and Colonsay in the past couple of months I would guess that they will never be manned full time and if it was I wouldn`t fancy that job with only the midgies for company most of the day.

Good luck trying to keep anything about these fields positive, its been tried before.

Fantastic places to visit, you can get a multi landing card at Oban (4 landings I think it was) for £20.

Say again s l o w l y
12th May 2008, 16:30
Highland have an aircraft and have recruited a pilot for the routes.

There is a plan for Tiree to be included in the route structure. Timings haven't been released yet as far as I'm aware.

As to whether the licensing requirements have been met. No idea. I'll believe the license exists when I see it and hear that the routes have started. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if it was another 6 months, but I can't imagine why it would take that long.
The council haven't exactly been forthcoming in the reasons for the license being held up so far. (Apart from drunken ramblings on pprune blaming Paul Keegan and TLC.)

The cost for flights has been fixed. I can't remember the exact figure, but it's around £60 if memory serves me correctly. I'll dig about and find the real figure.

dan design
12th May 2008, 16:56
From the Council website:
Friday, 25 April 2008 09:00
Argyll and Bute Council is moving forward with the licensing process for its three airfields, with visits from CAA inspectors due to take place during the week beginning 12 May.

All the civil engineering, buildings and physical issues at the airfields are now resolved, and although there are still some outstanding legal issues between the Council and TLC Ltd, these are expected to be resolved soon, or else the council will seek an alternative way of operating from the CAA.
Argyll and Bute Council’s Transportation Spokesperson, Councillor Duncan MacIntyre, said: “Things are moving forward nicely, and we are now able to clearly see a successful conclusion to the project, which will see scheduled flights from Oban to Coll, Colonsay and Tiree through a contract with Highland Airways and support from the Scottish Government.
“These flights will allow school pupils from the islands to spend weekends with their families and provide a fast alternative to the existing ferry services for residents, businesses and visitors alike.”

Councillor MacIntyre also paid tribute to the Project Development Manager, Peter Jackson, who is leaving to take up a new post elsewhere. Councillor MacIntyre said: “The Council would not have managed to take the project this far without Peter’s input, and, on behalf of the Council, I would like to offer him our sincere thanks and wish him well in his future career.”

The post of Development Manager is expected to be filled shortly.
So its D-, or should I say L-day and counting...

Does anyone know how long, approximately, the CAA will take after the inspections to issue the licences ?

lauchiemb
13th May 2008, 07:17
CAA are due into Coll tomorrow (Wed) for final licensing inspection.

lauchiemb
13th May 2008, 10:00
Timetable is now on the highlandairways website but does not seem to link up with the Tiree to Glasgow route which is no use to me - what a pain.

Gerry Alba
16th May 2008, 10:55
If you are going to develope Oban /Connel airport please feel free to contact me if you are wanting a Scottish Ground Handling company to opporate and assist with developement.

I was approached a few years ago and would gladly help get Oban
up and running in what could be ,and should be a Highland hub airport.

If you require any information please feel free to contact me at any time.
Gerry Rodden
Managing Director
Alba Ground Handling Limited:D

lauchiemb
27th May 2008, 10:18
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/649970

lauchiemb
10th Jun 2008, 08:47
http://www.highlandairways.co.uk

I have booked our tickets already.

lauchiemb
17th Jun 2008, 11:57
First flight was yesterday - woo, hoo!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7457177.stm

quilmes
7th May 2015, 22:15
Some footage of an Islander on the BBC the other day;

Argyll islands could lose air service - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-32575745)